Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,541,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Curmudgeon?

Yes, I think we do. As we get older, maybe we just get completely sick and tired of people who lie, are selfish, inconsiderate, lazy, rude, etc. We just don't have the stamina to put up with their crapola.
And a true curmudgeon never did regardless of age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 08:26 AM

934 posts, read 1,941,721 times
I was a curmudgeon at 25. Everything since then has been honing and polishing.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,126,302 times
Finally remembered to look for that book by Jon Winokur. Funny how the human brain works--I could recognize and remember the quote when Curmudgeon cited it, even though I had read this book a while ago. But remembering a decision to look for the book that I made just a few days ago? That's what I forgot.

Anyhoo... the beginning of the book has this definition:

Curmudgeon:

1. Archaic: a crusty, ill tempered, churlish old man

2. Modern: anyone who hates hypocrisy and pretense and has the temerity to say so; anyone who has the habit of pointing out unpleasant fact in an engaging and humorous manner.

I like how the modern definition does not have a gender attached. I think we can thank Dorothy Parker for that--she was the quintessential female curmudgeon.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,943,061 times
If you want to see a few speeches that really explain why someone becomes a grouch, Watch Howard Beals speeches in the Movie, "Network" So accurate and insightful. Especially when he says< "I just ran out of bullshoot"

Old 08-10-2012, 11:20 PM

32,981 posts, read 36,491,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Curmudgeon?

Curmudgeon is like the laurel wreath that was awarded to Olympian athletes: It is only for winners.
Well, then, I've won.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:34 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,510,859 times
I think as we get older we are not willing to put up with so much sh**. I am 59 and I know I am more secure in who I am, less willing to take a lot of garbage, and realize life is too short to put up with people that make you unhappy.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:00 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,131,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think as we get older we are not willing to put up with so much sh**. I am 59 and I know I am more secure in who I am, less willing to take a lot of garbage, and realize life is too short to put up with people that make you unhappy.

Your post, IMHO, is 100% accurate and just about exactly the way I was at age 59......................now that I am that age plus another 22 yrs, I will, (if you don't mind) add a few more descriptions of people (of all ages) & situations that occur all to frequently in our every day lives that truly "bring out the Curmudgeon in me

.....#1:......when you are "trapped" at a party, or (gathering of any kind) by one of those "SPE" that are so common:...('been there'; "done that"; etc, you know the kind)..........Oh yeah,...SPE = : Self-Proclaimed- Expert......

.....#2:..... the "new-comer" who just drove cross-country (first time ever out of N.J. or similiar state) to arrive at his "newly acquired "ranch" in Montana...(yeah, he's got "3 acres and a Pick-Up" and is wearing Cowboy boots) ...(And without qualification): ..He,... ......a/ knows the best route; b/knows the best restaurants along the way;...c/knows the best motels along the way;....d/ and "would sure like to see More Interstates in Montana.....also wants to "start a petition-drive" to get a "Trader Joe's" in Missoula.

.....#3.....the newly arrived resident (from 'the big city') who says:...."now when I go to work in the morning, I can just let my two dogs out for the day, to run free & get the exercise they need"!! Feed 'em when I get home at 6pm..
........(Yeah, and I'll "lay-money" they won't last-a-week!!. Free running dogs frequently die from Lead Poisioning.

Perhaps "these representative-type-situations" bring out the Curmudgeon in me so easily, is because I've lived several miles outside of town for a total of 60 of my 81 yrs and, due to my job for almost 40 years, had to travel over 1 3/4 million miles through 40 (lower) states, Canada & Alaska...........Loved the job by the way............and met literally thousands of people........99% of whom were great and used their "God-Given-Common-Sense" on a daily basis!
There comes a point (on the other-hand) where sometimes "you've-just-had-enough"

NOTE: No offense intended by any of the above...................................

Old 08-12-2012, 05:46 PM

28 posts, read 67,681 times
Quote:
Anyway, I am just becoming really tired of all the rudeness in every phase of life. I'm getting tired of having to contact customer service 4 or 5 times for something just because no one seems to care about taking care of a problem. I'm getting tired of rude drivers, rude shoppers, rude teenagers, rude and uncaring store workers, etc. etc. Getting tired of having to bite my tongue about things because, heaven forbid, we should actually hurt someone's feelings, even if they are acting like ignorant horse's behinds!
Quote:
There comes a point (on the other-hand) where sometimes "you've-just-had-enough"
Could not say it better myself!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,441,337 times
Definitely.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,087,593 times
When I was younger, I pictured my future self as that wild-eyed crusty mean old lady who stands outside her scary old (haunted) house with a lot of property, overgrown grass and rickety fence, with her shotgun (and her cat), swearing at Halloween teenage trick or treaters treaters who have come to do her harm and telling them that she'd have no problem with putting them in the ground if they don't get off her property BUT now that I actually am old:

1. I live in a modern apartment complex
2. I don't own a shotgun
3. I don't have a cat.
4. I don't have property and the apartment property is very nicely landscaped
5. And most important, I haven't had a Halloween trick or treater in 15 years in 2 states.

Oh well. As far as any other curmudgeon "visions" go, I got nuthin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement