Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 02:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,845 posts, read 81,846,971 times

Advertisements

I actually became a cantankerous Curmudgeon in my mid fifties, but at 60-1/2 or so I outgrew it and am now much more patient and kind to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 02:34 PM

460 posts, read 991,528 times
NO!!!

I'm the same lovable guy I've always been.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:04 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,575,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I actually became a cantankerous Curmudgeon in my mid fifties, but at 60-1/2 or so I outgrew it and am now much more patient and kind to others.

I'm more mellow than ever before in my life. Offline, anyway; online I'm sometimes snarky but never curmudgeonly, and I don't see much curmudgeon behavior from others in this forum.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:56 PM

206 posts, read 242,033 times
Through my fifties I did notice changes in my attitude, and yes, also in my personality. I viewed these changes as part of the aging process and took comfort in the fact that, at least, I was aware of what seemed to me to be a natural part of growing older. Although I tried to front a happy demeanor, I occasionally caught myself sliding into what I would call a negative, downward perspective toward the world and people. I felt that, as long as I was aware of this situation, I could stop the process and, in time, keep at bay those unacceptable personality changes.

Now I'm so cheery I can hardly stand myself.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:12 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,096,001 times
I always say many see themselves as quite different than other see them ;no matter the type personality really. Certainly their opinion is much higher of their opinions

Old 02-28-2014, 07:21 PM

14,479 posts, read 14,446,908 times
I'm not sure it has much to do with age. Some of us have never "suffered fools lightly".

Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 PM

407 posts, read 1,561,303 times
I agree - a revival of a great thread...

Sometimes being a "curmudgeon" can be a helpful thing... I like to put a positive spin on it... like "they can't fix it, if they don't realize it's broken!" It's the delivery of the "help" that makes all the difference... That being said, I find myself just opting to totally avoid situations I would have suffered through years ago...

Alas, I believe I arrived at a "curmudgeon" state quite a few years ago, and now I am just doing my best to polish all the edges!

Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,294,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
I agree - a revival of a great thread...

I find myself just opting to totally avoid situations I would have suffered through years ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
What brings out the lower level of tolerance in us after the mid-century mark? IMHO it's the realization that life is too short to put up with b.s. (or other people's stupidity/thoughtlessness/rudeness etc) and that the universe doesn't give us any Brownie Points for doing so. ;-)
Various definitions of Curmudgeon "an ill-tempered person full of stubborn ideas or opinions", "a person (especially an old man) who is easily annoyed or angered and who often complains", "a surly or miserly person". Seems to me the behavior I quoted deserves its own word. Recently I was walking through an outdoor show and there was a booth selling newspapers. I am retired and that seems to have made me more mellow and actually stop and listen to a spiel, but I was not interested in this particular one at all and said so politely. The guy continued with what made me instantly put him into the category of "douche". In the past I would have probably walked by the booth and never even made any type of contact, but now my more patient self simply said "you would probably sell a lot more newspapers if you were not such a ...insert string of expletives..." and then walked away. So does that make me curmudgeon?

Old 03-01-2014, 05:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,598,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Various definitions of Curmudgeon "an ill-tempered person full of stubborn ideas or opinions", "a person (especially an old man) who is easily annoyed or angered and who often complains", "a surly or miserly person". Seems to me the behavior I quoted deserves its own word. Recently I was walking through an outdoor show and there was a booth selling newspapers. I am retired and that seems to have made me more mellow and actually stop and listen to a spiel, but I was not interested in this particular one at all and said so politely. The guy continued with what made me instantly put him into the category of "douche". In the past I would have probably walked by the booth and never even made any type of contact, but now my more patient self simply said "you would probably sell a lot more newspapers if you were not such a ...insert string of expletives..." and then walked away. So does that make me curmudgeon?
Not necessarily and certainly not by my previously posted (#16) definition.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,025,220 times
Curmudgeons are born, not made: Doc Martin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement