Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
don't think one day will make a difference overall. and i remember a time when we went to the post office to get our mail.

will be ok.
and has been a long time coming
We still have to go to the post office to get our mail, and I wish the Gov. had never privatized it and they should take it back where it belongs as a Government Dept.

As for the post office being open on Saturday, it is the only day I can get anyone to go get mail for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Personally I'd like them to go to 3 day a week, MWF or TRS. One of the biggest cost is labor, Going to 3 days a week would reduce there delivery work force but 47%.
I've thought this too, for a long time. Then have a second phase where it would be go to two days a week, MTr TuF or WS, and then a final phase where it would be one day a week.

As it is right now, all the mail I receive in a week, could fit in my mail box one day a week, and it wouldn't effect my life one bit. I just don't see much of a future for letter delivery mail service.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 02-06-2013 at 01:48 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I live in a rural area and this will be zero change - they aren't open now on Saturday anyway. They never deliver packages larger than an envelope, they just leave pick-up notices in the mail boxes out on the main road (2 miles from our house). The local office is always kept on a shoestring - open 8:30-4:30, M-F (heaven help you if you work down in town, you can never get your packages if you work 8-5).
No lunch break? Will they not leave packages in your mail box? I've never noticed a problem with mail men not jamming anything into a mail box that will fit. Maybe you could get a larger mail box.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
As along as they don't turn the Post Office to the private sector, 5-day delivery doesn't bother me. I assume that the mail will continue to be distributed throughout the postal system on weekends. It just won't be delivered.

I doubt that any private sector entity could take on mail delivery and make a profit. My FedEx and UPS guys are terrified of my dirt road. My locally-born postman runs up to a day, sometimes two, before FedEx or UPS will come out here after a good rainstorm or snowstorm.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
I think it is a great idea and would also support reducing delivery to three days a week. With all that is available on line, the only pieces of mail I get is junk and then I have to take it to recycle. Another union that has priced itself right out of the market with the lucrative pensions and benefits.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I doubt that any private sector entity could take on mail delivery and make a profit.
Would you have said that when USPS basically had a monopoly on packages, before FedEx, UPS, etc. came up with better logistics for handling packages than USPS?

I am sure the private sector would make a profit on mail delivery though service might change, but there's not much future in it as more and more is (thankfully) done online, and they'd be trying to compete with an enterprise (USPS) that isn't doing it at a profit now...

Old 02-06-2013, 02:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Two to 3 days per week delivery is more then enough as far as I am concerned.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Another union that has priced itself right out of the market with the lucrative pensions and benefits.
And yet another ignorant comment about the postal service. Postal unions (and federal unions in general) have absolutely nothing to do or say about the pensions received by postal or other federal employees. The federal retirement system is statutory. It is not subject to union bargaining. Any changes to the federal pension program are initiated and approved by Congress and signed into law by the President. BTW, the federal pension program was last overhauled in the 1980s and signed into law by President Reagan. Hardly a union sympathizer. I doubt very seriously that you have any idea whatsoever as to how the pension program works.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,071 times
Over the last year and a half to two years, I've noticed a decrease in Saturday mail. I think they have already implemented it on a smaller scale.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Ellwood][/b]Another union that has priced itself right out of the market with the lucrative pensions and benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And yet another ignorant comment about the postal service. Postal unions (and federal unions in general) have absolutely nothing to do or say about the pensions received by postal or other federal employees. The federal retirement system is statutory. It is not subject to union bargaining. Any changes to the federal pension program are initiated and approved by Congress and signed into law by the President. BTW, the federal pension program was last overhauled in the 1980s and signed into law by President Reagan. Hardly a union sympathizer. I doubt very seriously that you have any idea whatsoever as to how the pension program works.
While the first post was misguided at best, there's no denying the (paygo) pension issue for the postal service as the need for their services (and therefore revenues) continues to decline substantially and predictably.
Attached Thumbnails
Postal Service cutting Saturday mail delivery-usps-delivers-40-worlds-mail-but  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement