Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Would you have said that when USPS basically had a monopoly on packages, before FedEx, UPS, etc. came up with better logistics for handling packages than USPS?
I certainly don't have anything against UPS or FedEx and my package service from them is not bad. It is not, however, better than the PO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM

419 posts, read 656,480 times
Wink agree - but

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And yet another ignorant comment about the postal service. Postal unions (and federal unions in general) have absolutely nothing to do or say about the pensions received by postal or other federal employees. The federal retirement system is statutory. It is not subject to union bargaining. Any changes to the federal pension program are initiated and approved by Congress and signed into law by the President. BTW, the federal pension program was last overhauled in the 1980s and signed into law by President Reagan. Hardly a union sympathizer. I doubt very seriously that you have any idea whatsoever as to how the pension program works.
Agree wholeheartedly but having worked for the P.O. and other Gov agencies (retired from the USPS in 2002) the P.O. does have a srong union. They help get the pay that postal workers get which of course impacts their retirement. Postal workers make a lot of money of course many work overtime - want it so they can make as much as possible. Any robot could do a postal workers job. No skill required yet they make a very decent wage. They also pay less for their health insurance than other Gov. workers. The union helps pay the difference. Of course it reverts back to what other retired Gov workers have to pay for health benefits when they retire.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
This may have been posted... Remember when we had twice a day deliveries? Wow, that seems so crazy now.

It's too bad they didn't stop Sat. deliveries years ago.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
I'm all for cutting out the Saturday mail. One less trek to the mailbox at the end of my drive.
Along with that however I would like them to cut out delivering those nonstop circular flyers, which fill up my trash every week. The postal service probably makes most of its money on that stuff. The environment is not so happy about it.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
I have no problem with them going to a 5 day delivery system but I think they should cut Mondays rather than Saturdays. There are already 6 Federal holidays that always occur on Mondays and sometimes a few others also fall on a Monday.

This would keep Saturday service for those who can only get to the PO on that day of the week.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
They should go to a zero day work week...The Postal service is nothing but a "jobs program" for certain people..

And who would that be...............................

Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
I recall 4 days a week when Reagan was President

Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Call it karma. They deserve it! The USPS has provided horrible service for years and now they are paying for it! When you go to the post office, you are forced to wait in long lines. Instead of hiring more people to make lines shorter or creating an appointment system or an organized system, they just made you suffer and deal with it because they were the government and you had no choice. And then when you arrive at the counter, they are often rude and reprimand you like school kid for not knowing which form to have or what to fill out or even attaching the label properly to the envelope. And if you failed to fill out the form properly, they would sometimes make you go back to the end of the line and wait all over again.

One time, I mailed my son a plane ticket and the receiving post office lost it and lied and said the ticket was still at the originating location. I mailed this using Priority Mail. It was never at the originating location and they showed proof that the letter had been delivered to the reciving office. Later the receiving office finds the ticket and notifies my son 2 weeks after the flight left and asked why he didn't pick up his ticket from the office. Did the USPS reimburse me for purchasing an additional plane ticket? No of course not because the government can't be held accountable! If I had used Fed Ex or UPS, they would have reimbursed me for the plane tickets had they lost them. I never mailed packages using the post office again. There is a reason people started using Fed Ex, UPS and other agencies because the post office was so unreliable and provided horrible service.

The nice thing is packages will still be delievered (ie the important items will still arrive on Saturday)

Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Who still get paper plane tickets?

You could have purchased insurance for the value,

UPS/FedEx only give default Insurance (included) up to $100. More then that it cost you.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I doubt that any private sector entity could take on mail delivery and make a profit. My FedEx and UPS guys are terrified of my dirt road. My locally-born postman runs up to a day, sometimes two, before FedEx or UPS will come out here after a good rainstorm or snowstorm.
Sorry but Fed Ex and UPS are already making a profit. And the FedEx and UPS guys will go anywhere because they are liable for failed delivery, and unlike a govt entity, they are actually concerned with the financial ramifications of failing to deliver packages on time since they will offer some form of compensation or reimburse your costs if they fail to do so. The United Stats Postal Service can, will and have done whatever they want regardless if they failed to honor their obligatons. What are you going to do, yell at the government...good luck with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement