Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,353,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Who still get paper plane tickets?

You could have purchased insurance for the value,

UPS/FedEx only give default Insurance (included) up to $100. More then that it cost you.
This was well over 10 years ago and it was a free ticket which was issued on paper at the time but that's besides the point and it shouldn't really matter.

I did purchase insurance but what you fail to understand is that certain rules must be met for your insurance policy to be honored and the USPS argued that the package had arrived and I couldn't say otherwise because they are the government. They wouldn't admit they lost it or lied.

And I have gladly paid for that additional insurance with UPS/Fed Ex because unlike the USPS, they will actually honor it and not back out of it like the USPS did in the above example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 05:40 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,041,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
They should go to a zero day work week...The Postal service is nothing but a "jobs program" for certain people..
Right - in other words, let's shut down the economy. No more buying anything on-line, get your gas guzzling cars out and go to WalMart and forget about buying anything Walmart doesn't carry. I don't think we can get by without postal delivery. It's a crazy idea IMO.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:43 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,041,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
We still have to go to the post office to get our mail, and I wish the Gov. had never privatized it and they should take it back where it belongs as a Government Dept.

As for the post office being open on Saturday, it is the only day I can get anyone to go get mail for me.
I understand how you feel. The Post Office has been under attack by the right wing since the slipped in a poison pill to try to kill it. Why? Privatization - someone knows there is a lot of money that they are not getting in on so they have decided to steal it just the same way the mega corporations shut down huge segments of our economy by off-shoring everything they could get their hands on. To hate the Post Office is downright unAmerican in my book.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 AM

859 posts, read 2,999,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I did purchase insurance but what you fail to understand is that certain rules must be met for your insurance policy to be honored and the USPS argued that the package had arrived and I couldn't say otherwise because they are the government. They wouldn't admit they lost it or lied.
As I understand it, when you purchase insurance with anything mailed through the USPS, a signature is required at the time of delivery, so that should have been your proof of delivery.

Is it possible you are not recalling all the facts, and just don't like the PO/Government?

Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 AM

13,417 posts, read 28,819,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
They don't deliver on Saturday here for love OR money.
Yes if you are very rural no Sat delv from UPS or Fed EX. If you are in an area that they do deliver on Sat you pay handsomely. Sat deliveries are not cheap

Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 AM

859 posts, read 2,999,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I understand how you feel. The Post Office has been under attack by the right wing since the slipped in a poison pill to try to kill it. Why? Privatization - someone knows there is a lot of money that they are not getting in on so they have decided to steal it just the same way the mega corporations shut down huge segments of our economy by off-shoring everything they could get their hands on. To hate the Post Office is downright unAmerican in my book.
I don't see where the PO has been under attack by any right wing, and don't see anyone trying to kill it. Not sure where folks dig up this stuff.

Simply put, the PO is losing money, and needs to begin operating more like a real business. Elimination of Saturday mail is a strategic cost saviing initiative, which should have no negative impact on 99.9% of the US population.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,080,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I doubt that any private sector entity could take on mail delivery and make a profit. My FedEx and UPS guys are terrified of my dirt road. My locally-born postman runs up to a day, sometimes two, before FedEx or UPS will come out here after a good rainstorm or snowstorm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Sorry but Fed Ex and UPS are already making a profit.
Sorry, but you're wrong. The issue is mail, not packages; neither Fedex nor UPS deliver first-class mail. Do you actually believe that that if people were allowed to give UPS or Fedex a letter and then they had to deliver it cross-country for 46 cents (or whatever a stamp costs these days) that they could make a profit doing so? If so, you're delusional.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,080,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I have no problem with them going to a 5 day delivery system but I think they should cut Mondays rather than Saturdays. There are already 6 Federal holidays that always occur on Mondays and sometimes a few others also fall on a Monday.

This would keep Saturday service for those who can only get to the PO on that day of the week.
There is no change to post office hours under the current proposal. Only mail delivery to indiividual mailboxes will be discontinued. People will still be able to go to most post offices on Saturdays. (Some POs are M-F.)

Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,519,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Going to 3 days a week would reduce there delivery work force but 47%.
Yes. And it would put a hell of a lot of people in the unemployment lines.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,419,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I certainly don't have anything against UPS or FedEx and my package service from them is not bad. It is not, however, better than the PO.
I wasn't asking about service, I was basically asking why the member thought a private firm couldn't make a profit? Private firms took a huge bite out of USPS package service and have been profitable for decades. No reason they couldn't do the same with mail service if they wanted (not much future in it) and USPS was run as a for profit enterprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement