Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

I didn't find it at all difficult to retire. I kept track of our finances, didn't over-think it and one day just decided to do it. So I did. In my opinion, over-thinking it simply leads to stagnation.

I believe it was June or July of 2008 when my wife ad I went to see presentation by Garrison Keillor - the inspiration behind A Prarie Home Companion and the creator of Lake Wobegon Days centered in a small Minnesota town "where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.

At the end of his presentation, Mr. Keillor entertained questions from the audience. One woman asked him how he got everythig done - 30 years of a weekly radio show, authoring many books, speaking engagements, book signings, etc. His response was simple.

Holdig out both hands palm up he said that one day, because of all he had to do, he looked at his life. In one hand he placed those things he enjoyed doing, those people he wanted to keep in his life, other things he valued. In the other hand he placed those things and those peple of lessor importance to him; those chores, tasks and commtments he really didn't value so much or from which he really didn't derive any pleasure or benefit.

Having done that he let loose of those things in the second hand which left plenty of time and energy for those things in the other hand which he retained.

As we walked home I gave a lot of thought to Mr. Keillor's response to the question. Arriving at our door I reminded my wife of it and she said she'd been impressed by it. I said, "Good! Tomorrow at work I'm giving notice that I'm retiring at the end of the year. It just doesn't bring me pleasure anymore." And that's precisely what I did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 03:55 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
I retired twice. The first time it was unplanned and in general a difficult time. I had not planned on the social, creative, intellectual, etc. outlets needed in retirement. So I went back to work.

The next time it was final and planned. I knew what I had to do to have a successful retirement. It is not all about money and frugality.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
He says that the old retirements didn't consider what it meant to have a long period without a sense of pupose and power.
I wonder how many folks actually garner purpose and power from their current jobs, especially those folks who are getting on in years and beginning to be marginalized by a youth-loving labor market.

I wonder if I were to set my sights on achieving the greatest level of health and vitality in my lifetime, when I retire, and set my sights on achieving spiritual and community goals related to my religious faith, whether those would be sources of far more purpose and power than I ever had from employment.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:39 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I wonder how many folks actually garner purpose and power from their current jobs, especially those folks who are getting on in years and beginning to be marginalized by a youth-loving labor market.

I wonder if I were to set my sights on achieving the greatest level of health and vitality in my lifetime, when I retire, and set my sights on achieving spiritual and community goals related to my religious faith, whether those would be sources of far more purpose and power than I ever had from employment.

Maybe!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:54 AM

125 posts, read 228,124 times
I think for many their entire lives revolves around their job, including social, commute etc, that when it comes to finally retiring they have a hard time adapting. They are so busy and caught up in the rat race,while in the workforce, that most of the focus in regards to retirement is the financial aspect only. Throw in a loss of identity of who they once were in the workforce and it really can have an impact emotionally and psychological, including such things as depression and boredom.

Having in place good support like family, friends and activities such as hobbies, maybe working part time etc., can certainly help in this transition.

That said I dont think this issue will have an impact on all folks who retire. Personally I always think of what retirement will be like, and have so many interests that this will lead to involvement in many activities, therefore this issue will have no impact. Retirement is the chapter(s) in life that should be thoroughly enjoyed!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:46 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I think it is hard to retire. Particularly for men, who identify with their jobs much more than women do (I think -- I may be wrong). I'm a woman and it took me 5 years to settle into retirement! Plus, I retired WAY too early. [I was and am fine financially -- I wasn't prepared emotionally at all. I worked at the same place for almost 30 years with most of the same people over that period of time; I lost my work 'family'.] And I didn't have a job that easily transferred into something else other than Admin Asst., which I never ever want to do again (nothing wrong with it -- I just burnt out).

In retirement, you need a reason to get up in the morning and a goal. Something other than laying around, traveling, the grandkids. You need to have something that keeps you growing mentally and spiritually and even emotionally, and you need a sense of accomplishment. Without those -- retirement can be way too long or we can die too early.
My husband and I are just the opposite. He's 56 and will be officially retired from law enforcement in a couple of weeks. He's been home on vacation for the last week and I'm working a 6 day stretch. I'm not ready to retire emotionally or physically. Financially we have enough to last the rest of our lives. Going to work has a different spin when you know that you don't have to do it, besides he's already driving me crazy!!!!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I am glad to note you haven't given up the preachy moralizing; I would be disappointed in you if you had.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
I would be disappointed if you had given up posting pointlessly antagonistic personal attacks to derail threads.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I guess I'm lucky. So far I haven't had difficulty finding things to do in retirement or feeling fulfilled. I enjoyed working while I had a career, but so far I haven't felt a need to find a major project or goal to keep me busy.

Of course, it could be that I do have goals and projects in retirement and just don't realize it. They're the same goals II had before I stopped working, and so I guess I don't really think of them as goals. Just everyday life. Right now I do a lot of hiking and take photos every day--I suppose those are projects, in a way. In another month kayaking season starts and I suppose you could say I'll have goals related to that as well as the goal of exercising enough to stay healthy. And I have a goal of fixing up my property and keeping everything well maintained.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Articles like this are relative because we are all unique. Some folks require 'work' to feel useful and fulfilled, and to have something to do all day; many of these people fear they'll end up sitting on the sofa staring at the tv.

Pre-retirement anxiety? That had me chuckling because I had anxiety from working! You see, for me (and please remember I'll speaking about me), I never (can't emphasize 'never' strong enough) wanted to leave home and go to work. My desire was to get married, have kids and take care of my family and home. A career outside of being a wife and mom never occurred to me. But things in life don't always play out as hoped.

I worked for 47 years years and luckily most jobs weren't the 'job from hell' or had 'the boss from hell'; I just did what I had to do and made the best of it.

But freak out when I retired? Are you kidding me? That was just about the happiest day of my life! I was officially pardoned from the job and just about kicked my heels as I left the building for the last time!

If asked 'what do I miss about working?'....the only thing would be the paycheck...nothing else - nada, zilch.

For those who do get anxiety from not holding down a job, I wish them the best in their transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement