Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,592,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I don't think so.

In my case at least I'm seeing a complaint about a distinction without a practical difference.
f'rinstance... what would be done by the office staff if the SS number were on the back of the card?

The name and number on our SS cards is on the front too...
and drivers license and credit cards and library cards and everything else.
Somehow the world manages to carry on with all that data out there now and then.

otoh... if you want to complain about office staff not promply returning the card to you -right after
confirming the data on it- then by all means have at it. But is that practice really the governments fault?
I haven't carried my SS number for decades, I know it and try not to give it out, if given a choice. I don't take drugs, but assume people hand over their card to the pharmacy to get their discount. It should not be emblazened on the card for all to see. How can you not understand why that is?
You're not being very rational, MrRational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,592,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Before they took our SS numbers off of our driver's license......I used to cover it up with a sliver of duct tape.

That way.....if it was absolutely needed.....the tape could be pealed back......otherwise it was covered.

Of course, that wouldn't help if your wallet was stolen.
I was just going to suggest the same thing, with whiteout tape.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 PM

34,161 posts, read 83,253,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I haven't carried my SS number for decades
...but assume people hand over their card to the (providers).
I don't carry my SS card around either. Or my voters card.

I don't have a medicare card of my own but did assist my folks before they passed.
When going to a Doctors office we took their card with us.
It gets handed it over to the clerk who then gives it back to us.
Elapsed time out of our hands? Less than 1 minute.

At a new provider it might take ten minutes to complete their paper and get the card back.

Quote:
It should not be emblazened on the card for all to see.
All who to see?

The only party to see it is the desk clerk who has a JOB to see it.
I remain baffled that anyone sees any of this as any sort of a problem.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,946,686 times
When I retired in 2005 the California State Teachers' Retirement System still had us put our Social Security numbers on the retirement application. But not long thereafter they did away with that practice and created "client I.D. numbers" which have meaning only within that system. No applications or other paper work from CalSTRS now require the SS number. Many organizations, including many large employers, have adopted similar procedures.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,042,597 times
Your SS # is considered a highly private bit of info - something not to be shared. Your SS card states this on the back and also states to NOT carry it with you.

My Financial guy had someone from the FBI come in and talk about identity theft and he also stressed to never carry anything with your SS # on it in case your wallet/purse is stolen. That's all anyone needs to easily steal your identity.

I'm not familiar with medicare cards but I wonder if it's meant to be carried and if so, what are they thinking?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,805,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Your SS # is considered a highly private bit of info - something not to be shared. Your SS card states this on the back and also states to NOT carry it with you.

My Financial guy had someone from the FBI come in and talk about identity theft and he also stressed to never carry anything with your SS # on it in case your wallet/purse is stolen. That's all anyone needs to easily steal your identity.

I'm not familiar with medicare cards but I wonder if it's meant to be carried and if so, what are they thinking?
True, but some posters don't seem to understand this.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 PM

4,795 posts, read 10,647,554 times
The OP, and me, are referring to Medicare cards, and the SS# on it.
The carrying of an SS card issue is out in deep left field, left of the foul pole, imo...

Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,042,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
The carrying of an SS card issue is out in deep left field, left of the foul pole, imo...

The issue is that the SS# should not be carried - doesn't matter what it's on.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,805,921 times
Quote:
No, it's right in front of the catcher. Just because you don't see the connection doesn't mean it isn't there.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 PM

419 posts, read 657,547 times
Quote:
I thought it was medicare cards. Op never said social security cards. Can't imagine anyone carrying that around.

Medicare card is used for hospital/doctor or both. I carry it with my other insurance cards in my wallet since they are needed for medical appointments. My SSN is not on my other insurance cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement