Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

If you carry your Medicare card....and we do..you may as well carry your SS card since it's the same number.
Some seem to be missing that point.
And it doesn't matter how long or short a time it's out of your hands/sight at the doctors office....it's being photocopied while it is so you are, in effect, 'leaving it there' and it's usually along with your drivers license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
The text on the reverse of Social Security cards has changed over the years. The text on the latest-issue cards is that which actually applies to all Social Security cards.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 AM

199 posts, read 528,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Medicare is part of Social Security. You're complaining that Social Security is using your Social Security number when they're the one group that was actually supposed to use it.

Your not getting my point, there is no reason Medicare has to put your ss# on the card, none, noda. My ss# is not on my insurance card, or drivers license, or any of my credit cards. For security reasons the fewer people that know that number the better. You will think differently when someone steals your identity.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxville View Post
Your not getting my point,
there is no reason Medicare has to put your ss# on the card, none, nada.
Pardon? No reason?

So long as Medicare uses the SS# for billing and payment it needs to be on the card.
Whether <anyone in particular> needs to tote that card around with them 24/7/365
or not ... seems more like the mattress tag law warning.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Pardon? No reason?

So long as Medicare uses the SS# for billing and payment it needs to be on the card.
Whether <anyone in particular> needs to tote that card around with them 24/7/365
Yes, they do.
However, it could have been set up so that a different number was issued with the Medicare card.
Even retroactively, in this day and age, cross referencing the two numbers should not be a huge or expensive problem
if there is an occasion for that to even be needed.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 AM

419 posts, read 656,561 times
Quote:
Pardon? No reason?

Exactly. How else are doctors/hospitals suppose to bill.

Most people are careful so those who are completely absurd about it need to move somewhere that they don't need to use their ss for billing.

And those that don't even have a Medicare card - why are you even commenting on this.

Sometimes these boards are become comical.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 AM

419 posts, read 656,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Yes, they do.
However, it could have been set up so that a different number was issued with the Medicare card.
Even retroactively, in this day and age, cross referencing the two numbers should not be a huge or expensive problem
if there is an occasion for that to even be needed.
Boy you have more faith in them generating a new number for millions of people than I do. They can never get anything straight. I think that would be more of an issue - think about it.

I'll stick with my social and just be careful with it, like always.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
Boy you have more faith in them generating a new number for millions of people than I do. They can never get anything straight. I think that would be more of an issue - think about it.

I'll stick with my social and just be careful with it, like always.
I wouldn't expect it to be done by hand . I think computers are capable of doing the job in minutes.
(assuming it be done retroactively....I believe the whole idea is that it shouldn't have been done in the first place)

Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
The issue is that the SS# should not be carried - doesn't matter what it's on.

FBI &mdash; Advice from FBI Agent Jeff Lanza

Please note the area that states to never carry anything with your SS on it. There would be a simple way for medical offices and anywhere else to use a # other than your SS# to identify you and cross reference it internally. Sounds like common sense to me. For those of you that think you know more about it than these guys~~~carry on.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
I don't carry my SS card around either. Or my voters card.

I don't have a medicare card of my own but did assist my folks before they passed.
When going to a Doctors office we took their card with us.
It gets handed it over to the clerk who then gives it back to us.
Elapsed time out of our hands? Less than 1 minute.

At a new provider it might take ten minutes to complete their paper and get the card back.

All who to see?

The only party to see it is the desk clerk who has a JOB to see it.
I remain baffled that anyone sees any of this as any sort of a problem.
No, I said the pharmacy, not your doctors office. I don't know, but if you go to Walmart to get your scrip, you hand over your card, so you get a discount. I assume that's how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement