Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you ever use Facebook or similar websites?
Yes 94 60.65%
No 61 39.35%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 04:13 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times

Advertisements

Yes but less so everyday.

Mostly started using it because some of my high school friends were on it and it was good to touch base. But at this point, I see little value in it.

Anyone who needs to contact me has my number so I mostly ignore it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 04:29 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
I use it to keep in touch with my younger relatives, but I hate getting nagged by it. I rarely post, and I have had several cleanouts of people -- I friended everyone that I knew when I first got on, but it was way too cluttery and a fair number of people posted EVERY SINGLE THING THEY DID EACH DAY... so I booted them.

Face it -- I'm never going to see any of them ever again. Boot boot boot. (I'm doing that with books right now. I'm being cruel -- they are going to Half Price to find new homes.)

I booted the only political people. (I should boot the hubs for that, but him I have to sleep with at night. I'll put up with his political rants in turn for footsies.)

At this point I have one old high school person who is a stone ground riot and family.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:41 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Yes, use it.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:52 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Use it daily. It helps me keep up with the family and friends who are on the opposite side of the country. I know how everyone is doing and I get news that they probably wouldn't call to tell me. I share photos of where I am and activities I've done that they might like.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:34 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times
I used to use Facebook a lot -- I got more information about my kids from their FB posts than I got from them directly, so basically I used FB to "spy" on them.

But then after a while I started liking FB less and less. Too many political rants, too many references to what a good time people had at parties I wasn't invited to, too many people describing their Christmas decorating in excruciating detail, too many chain letters, blah blah. And my kids seldom post on FB now, maybe because they want to keep their private lives private from me, lol.

So I quit looking at FB altogether. There's plenty of other stuff on the internet to keep me entertained, such as C-D for example.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:41 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
I do have an FB account but don't use it very much. Started it so that I could keep up the my humane societies FB page and with some of the other rescue groups that we work with. I don't use it to "socialize" with anyone.

I did recently run across a page that I enjoy - it's called I Love Funny Dogs and it has some great pictures with captions.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:09 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I see no value in them either for business or personal use. They are apparently ultratrendy for people between the ages of ten and thirty as well as for middle aged people trying to be young. I'm curious to know if there are any in the geriatric subforum who are involved in this.

Some of us are hopelessly in touch with our inner child. No seriously it's about staying in touch with friends in other states and the shorties. I found my childhood friend after some 30 years of being apart. We've had several visits since. I love Facebook for giving her back to me. You should see all the birthday wishes I had today as well from friends and coworkers. It made my day. I don't consider myself trendy and my friends love my ice skating, sledding, roller skating videos with the shorties. They like my dog videos too. FB is about giving and getting smiles.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
I'm not middle aged "trying to be young". Sorry if I don't act like some stereotypical drooling elderly man, but I'm on Facebook and Twitter. I use them to keep up with friends and family I have all over the world. I even, gasp, text message on my smart phone. Do I allow myself to become absorbed in the drama that's inherent to social media? No. That I ignore.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:02 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Some of us are hopelessly in touch with our inner child. No seriously it's about staying in touch with friends in other states and the shorties. I found my childhood friend after some 30 years of being apart. We've had several visits since. I love Facebook for giving her back to me. You should see all the birthday wishes I had today as well from friends and coworkers. It made my day. I don't consider myself trendy and my friends love my ice skating, sledding, roller skating videos with the shorties. They like my dog videos too. FB is about giving and getting smiles.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I agree with this post. My friends aren't on it due to concerns about it being hijacked or whatever--but a lot of my relatives are. I like knowing when someone has a job interview so I can wish them good luck, I love seeing the pictures of the new baby, I love the funny jokes/cartoons a few people post. I like knowing what some of my old friends are up to. There don't have to be hundreds of posts--I have it divided into friends, close friends, family. Seldom do I send anything to all the friends.

My husband lost touch with his son when he moved here five years ago and just found him again on FB. I talked about it in the thread about being estranged from your adult children. They have just reconnected through FB and the son is saving up to come over for a visit! I also subscribe to two genealogy pages on FB. Once in a while I'll post a picture of something for the others to see. It's fun and doesn't have to be that time consuming.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:43 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post

Why not put them on Youtube? Then anyone can see it. It would be tragic if this one had been lost on some social networking site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt7r...eature=mh_lolz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement