Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 06:09 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The simplest thing to try for leg cramps is to add a glass of water to your day's liquid intake. If that doesn't work, then try the other things. My leg cramps are gone as long as I drink enough water during the day. And many of us don't drink enough liquids--at least according to experts.
I'm drinking so much water I have to get up once or twice during the night. I think it's magnesium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Look out, Ms. Girl. One wintry day I spent an hour looking up Florida real estate, and then I did it again, and again and again. One thing led to another, and now I swim laps in the sunshine and see snow on the news reports from up north.
LOL! Can you guess how many northerners, even in one day, are doing this right now?
Where did you move from?

Old 02-11-2015, 07:42 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
LOL! Can you guess how many northerners, even in one day, are doing this right now?
Where did you move from?
The Midwestern part of the frozen wasteland.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
I'm drinking so much water I have to get up once or twice during the night. I think it's magnesium.
Have you had a physical lately ? The unusual thirst can be a sign of other problems and too much can cause minerals to be flush from the system causing cramps. Its why doctors prescribe potassium for those on fluid pills. Too low/too high and you have muscle problems. Remember the heart is a basically muscle. This why you need to have a check up before starting any exercise routine especially at older ages. Does not mean you have a problem; just that you need advise on routine by condition of health. Especially with prescriptions you might take for heath reasons.You also need to follow ups regularly has you might need in time to lower or eliminate some :happily.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Have you had a physical lately ? The unusual thirst can be a sign of other problems and too much can cause minerals to be flush from the system causing cramps. Its why doctors prescribe potassium for those on fluid pills. Too low/too high and you have muscle problems. Remember the heart is a basically muscle. This why you need to have a check up before starting any exercise routine especially at older ages. Does not mean you have a problem; just that you need advise on routine by condition of health. Especially with prescriptions you might take for heath reasons.You also need to follow ups regularly has you might need in time to lower or eliminate some :happily.
Good points. I had a physical in Oct with bloodwork and except for the high calcium (which is coming down) I'm OK. I don't take any meds. I'm going to ask for another checkup in March.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Good points. I had a physical in Oct with bloodwork and except for the high calcium (which is coming down) I'm OK. I don't take any meds. I'm going to ask for another checkup in March.
If you went from "nothing" to "exercising" then your body is going to send you messages.

There may be absolutely nothing wrong except:
1. -drinking too much liquid before bed
2. -muscles are reacting to being worked out

Old 02-11-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you went from "nothing" to "exercising" then your body is going to send you messages.

There may be absolutely nothing wrong except:
1. -drinking too much liquid before bed
2. -muscles are reacting to being worked out
I think, for me, it's drinking too much liquid after about 4:00 p.m. I need to chug in the mornings.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:29 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
NEG, is there a Curves in your area, have you ever tried one?
They're newbie friendly and provide a structured workout. After you get into the groove you could switch to a regular gym if you want.

I only work out at home (running, walking, rowing machine, free weights, yoga) so I've never set foot in Curves nor any gym of any kind. But I know several women who go to Curves and they're satisfied with it.
I, too, think you would do well at a Curves (women only) AS A STARTER. Their equipment isn't 'all that' but still does something and you don't have to worry at all about how you look or what you can or cannot do yet. It still gets you out & exercising & building muscle...because here is the God's honest truth~~
ONE FALL, once we are post menopausal, can KILL US! No joke and not meant to scare you, but 100% it is the truth. Break a hip or shoulder/humerus and it is a HUGE surgical repair and rehab for minimum of 6mo to a year.
My suggestion, find something you like to do and do THAT. I HATE machines...I just do. I get bored on them and have even had them at home and just not for me. I DO enjoy Yoga, Pilates and dancing and you can get fit by dancing...even the Shag! If you think you can't do Yoga, try chair Yoga at so many of the YMCA's across the country for a start (you will still be out and exercising and many have classes in the early afternoons or eves for Seniors). Also, MeetUps have all kinds of groups for Seniors who want to do something together and it matters not if you are woman, man, fat, thin...there are meet ups for your likes, but you must LOOK FOR THEM on the website and GO! Walking with women only or men...there's a meet-up. Zumb for seniors...there's a meet-up for that. Bottom line, once we go through the loss of those hormones, we HAVE TO EXERCISE OR WE DIE sooner than later. I'd hate to see you writing on C/D from a Nursing Home...and wishing that you had gone and done something. It doesn't have to be a lot...just a lot more than you do now.
Find me if you still need motivation....the UNcandy-coated kind.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:16 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
You sound like me....10:00 am wake up is considered daybreak for me (but then I'm a nightbird who normally doesn't go to bed until 3am)....I've always been a "night person" and early morning wake ups when I worked were a killer that left me groggy & dazed all day - this was even if I got a good night's sleep of 7 -8 hrs; when I worked nights I could go on 4 - 5 hrs of sleep but stay up all night without the same grogginess. There is truth to the idea that some people are born night owls while others are early risers.

Anyway I digressed.....I was going to say why not get a home exercise bike or treadmill?? You can find some good deals now and/or pick up a quality one used. Some even come with laptop shelves (and there are add on aftermarket shelves that can be used) that you can use to watch Netflix, online shows, etc. - believe me, it really helps to remove the monotony and a hour or two fly by when you're attention can be on a show you're interested in while treadmill walking, stationary biking, etc. - Instead of sitting on a couch watching a tv show you can normally watch them (even the primetime shows) free online the next day via the network websites...Netflix or Amazon video at $8 - $9 a month gives you thousands of shows, movies, documentaries, etc.

I started out without anything and found I got bored just staring straight ahead and most times I was just clock watching waiting to finish....now I find I exercise longer since I'm being entertained in a sense while exercising and I want to finish watching what I queued up so I keep going till it ends. Plus, I can work out anytime of the day you want, no membership fees, no kicking myself in the butt to get to the gym, no having to drive and/or go out in freezing/inclement weather, etc.

Just an idea but it might work for you.....it did for me.
Works for me too. We bought a combination elliptical/recumbant bike machine and I'm using it for about 45-50 minutes/day six days a week. It takes up a little too much space in our spare room but it's important enough to justify its being there, I think. The closest gym is about 15 miles away and if I had to depend on getting there for my exercise I'd no doubt skip it a lot of days. The advantage, obviously, is that we can work out at home at any time. No excuses. It's set up so we can watch TV while using this machine, so that time goes by pretty fast.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:49 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
I force myself to go; kicking and screaming I still force myself to go and I'm going again as soon as I post this.

I am diabetic but with exercise, diet and oral meds (no shooting insulin) I can keep everything under control with my A1c holding around 6.0 to 6.3 so I think I am doing well there. What I would really like to see is if diet and excessive alone will get by blood sugars into the normal range.

But for any senior here's an excellent article published in the Wall Street Journal just a few days ago.

Very worthwhile read.

The Benefits of Pumping Iron in Later Life
Intense Strength Training Helps Fend Off Age-Related Disability, Research Shows

so now it is off to the gym!

Oh, and if you are on an advantage plan definitely check to see if you have Silver Sneakers because if you do you get free membership to many gyms across the country. My wife has an advantage plan with Silver Sneakers has she has a free (as in no cost) membership to Anytime Fitness which has centers all over the United States that are open 24/7/365. See if there is one near you and with your electronic key you can visit any Anytime Fitness anywhere in the country. We use it when we go see the grandchildren 700 miles away.

One downside... read carefully... you must make at least four (I think it is four but you double check) visits monthly or you get billed so once you join make sure you go at least once a week. It's motivating; you are saving money by doing what is good for you. How often does that happen?

If I remember right she did have to pay a one time fee of $20 which covers the cost of the key... her Silver Sneakers pays for everything else so she does not have any out of pocket expenses for the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement