Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
It's a regional thing.
It's no fun to be completely transparent.
I think a lot of us interpreted it wrong ~ it's powerful wording!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:09 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I realize that some do not have good heath when they retire and many retire because of health reasons. For some it is indeed true; its not about won't; its can't. That is true at any age but more so as we age.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:21 PM

Golden Years implies freedom from work, from worry, from challenges of most kinds, and mostly applies to one general class of people in the developed world. In real life, it doesn't work that way. OTOH, "golden" could be a decided frame of mind...

Old 02-24-2015, 06:02 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
"The pharmacy here will at any given time have about 20 people standing in line to pick up meds."

barbiloo -- Interesting comment! We live out in the Southwest, too, but we have no such situation at the pharmacies that we shop at. Usually there are only a couple of customers in line, never more than five at the upper-most. We live right in town, the Phoenix area, and seem to have a pharmacy on almost every street corner! One nearby corner literally had four pharmacies at one intersection -- one in Safeway, one in Fry's [Kroeger], one in the Walmart Neighborhood Market, and one in the CVS Drugstore, but now that the Safeway closed, there are three on that intersection. Are you out in a remote area, or maybe shop at the Commissary or live on one of the Reservations? As a matter of fact, our family has the dubious honor [??] of having the pharmacy staff not even having to ask our names! We shop at Walgreens and Fry's.

Sorry you are getting stuck in such long lines; maybe it is a locational thing....

Old 02-24-2015, 09:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
But drugs can control lots of problems. Does mean its a bad thing. I be a lot of those people are younger also not retired.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:50 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Does or doesn't? I never liked to take any drug when diet or exercise could fix the problem.
Maybe even meditation.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:04 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Does or doesn't? I never liked to take any drug when diet or exercise could fix the problem.
Maybe even meditation.
Meditation could in no way have prevented my being hit by a severe neurological condition at age 66 which required hours of serious, cervical surgery and from which I will never fully recover. Talk about changing plans

Still in all, I remain on the right side of the sod and still consider retirement to be golden. In the end it may be somewhat foreshortened but it beats even a good day at work. I'll take it!

Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
I guess I should feel lucky, for me , retiring at 62 had more to do with money than health. Now 10 years later I wish I had not retired, in a booming economy. Those of us that were self employed all our lives may have a slightly different look at things......

Old 02-25-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Still in all, I remain on the right side of the sod and still consider retirement to be golden. In the end it may be somewhat foreshortened but it beats even a good day at work. I'll take it!
Yes, golden is a state of mind and of being, as long as one is not mentally distressed.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:42 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Meditation could in no way have prevented my being hit by a severe neurological condition at age 66 which required hours of serious, cervical surgery and from which I will never fully recover. Talk about changing plans

Nothing can prevent certain conditions.

Some take any pill hoping they don't have to participate in their own well being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement