Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 12:56 PM

202 posts, read 231,389 times

Advertisements

I plan to just do what I want when I retire. I've tried all the "ancient", "eastern" and "wholistic" stuff earlier in my life and now I shall concentrate on having fun. I'm used to the fact that I'm not going to live forever...who would want to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 02:15 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I plan to just do what I want when I retire. I've tried all the "ancient", "eastern" and "wholistic" stuff earlier in my life and now I shall concentrate on having fun. I'm used to the fact that I'm not going to live forever...who would want to do that?
Not me. Just maybe 5 or 10 more years. Depending.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:29 PM

685 posts, read 721,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have to admit, that is my biggest worry. I have been so healthy all my life it's almost scary. I've never had a surgery and even still have my tonsils. I have rarely ever had to take any kind of meds and don't now. It amazes me how I could reach 72 and still be entirely 'intact' and healthy as I am. And then I think that, yes, I've been really really lucky but the possibility of something "BIG" hitting me is always there and in the back of my mind.

I do take care of myself and my doctor once commented that he had never seen me come in sick. I never have. I rarely ever GET sick and just stay home till it's done. Even working with the public I've always managed to avoid catching anything.

There have been times when I thought the person who came up with that Golden Years thing ought to be drawn and quartered, hung and burned at the stake! More like Pewter sometimes!
This stuff is really hitting us from all sides. If you find the delusional person, let me know and lets go beat him up together. We may have to go after John Lennon, too, because he wrote the lyrics to a song we loved when we were younger but it's just not true. But it's out there to calm the scare and it's no longer working.

JOHN LENNON LYRICS - Grow Old With Me

(I think Robert Browning may have coined the first line in the poem.)

YOU are amazing having been healthy all your life. Hearty congrats for that. Not taking many meds is in your favor and likely helped your health.

I'm not that old but I've had my share of surgeries and my good knee is acting up (I'm ignoring it best I can). I still have the ability to mow the lawn in stages and take care of it while neighbors pay to have theirs done. I try getting our dog out to run in the mountains and get the exercise in for me.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:52 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Some of us are just lucky.

But I've learned to be patient with those who are not so fortunate, because that's all it is - luck.
As with much of life, if it hasn't happened to you yet, the patience/compassion may not be there!

All it took was a painful Baker's Cyst, and every time I now see someone using a cane, with obvious knee problems, my compassion/patience kicks in!

And, all it took was to be diagnosed with COPD, and the compassion kicks in every time I see someone struggling to get their breath!

Being I still work at a LTC/Rehab facility, it's also made a more compassionate nursing assistant. But why did it take suffering these setbacks for the true compassion to arrive?

Small wonder that these really young nursing assistants are so clueless to the patients they take care of!
And I've been there myself!

Old 03-05-2015, 03:23 PM

524 posts, read 844,006 times
I really enjoy the woods and nature. Looking forward to more pond time when we retire.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
I really enjoy the woods and nature. Looking forward to more pond time when we retire.
Sounds serene and beautiful.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:05 PM

515 posts, read 778,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I know I won't live forever but I'd sure like to as long as my health holds up. I guess it's human nature to want to live to be old and still look young but I'd like to live to be as old as I look.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:57 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
I know I won't live forever but I'd sure like to as long as my health holds up. I guess it's human nature to want to live to be old and still look young but I'd like to live to be as old as I look.
more important is health. there are plenty of unfortunate younger then most of us people that are not living a quality of life . rather than want to live to be very old........lets make good health our priority.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:44 AM

515 posts, read 778,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
more important is health. there are plenty of unfortunate younger then most of us people that are not living a quality of life . rather than want to live to be very old........lets make good health our priority.
Absolutely agree !!! If we don't have our good health, we don't have much to look forward to.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:50 AM

125 posts, read 228,276 times
The great thing about retirement is that suddenly you have a lot more time on your hands which allows for you to focus more on health. Without the daily stress and grind of working, you have more time to eat healthier, excercise, sleep etc. Of course as we all age, health issues are inevitable then the task becomes how we manage it. Having time and autonomy is your ally during retirement whereas if you're still in the workforce it becomes more difficult and quite a challenge. My point being if you're already retired you're in better position to make those years golden by utilizing whatever means you have at your disposal. I know easier said then done, but that should always be the goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement