Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 02:48 PM

515 posts, read 778,576 times

Advertisements

Ahhhh, The Golden Years. I have more gold now than I've ever had in my life and I suspect it will take a lot of gold to keep me above ground in the years to come. As for right now though, I haven't had to touch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 03:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Nothing can prevent certain conditions.

Some take any pill hoping they don't have to participate in their own well being.
Kind of a gloomy observation, that. But I'm just a cockeyed optimist. However, I do take full responsibility for my own wellbeing and always have. That being said, I'm certainly not adverse to seeking medical intercession when absolutely necessary. I doubt I could have performed surgery on myself.

Sorry 'bout your golden years!

Old 02-25-2015, 05:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
Does or doesn't? I never liked to take any drug when diet or exercise could fix the problem.
Maybe even meditation.
But diet and exercise doesn't fix everything. Otherwise like we wouldn't be gaining in years lived overall. Its my opinion few recognize the miracles of medical advances these days.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
Does or doesn't? I never liked to take any drug when diet or exercise could fix the problem.
Maybe even meditation.
But not all problems can be fixed by those. Otherwise our ancestors would have lived longer than us.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:34 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
Ahhhh, The Golden Years. I have more gold now than I've ever had in my life and I suspect it will take a lot of gold to keep me above ground in the years to come. As for right now though, I haven't had to touch it.
Physical gold is still a commodity , while it's fun to collect it , feel it, count it, the bottom line is it's worth when you have to sell it. We are not likely to enter a barter exchange system anytime soon, so the best you can really hope for is a very long time of holding and periodic buying where the spread over time creates a major investment savings.

I ,along with a lot of folks started buying in the early Eighties, with no interest in selling until I had to to continue a quality of life in the far distant future......well low and behold that distant future came home to roost , it was time in the past recession when I had little choice but to sell. Sure I did reap a large profit , but only because gold increased in value 4-5 times what I paid for it. All these years in between I tried to hedge my commodity investments buying gold mining stocks, and some futures. ........in the end , my " investments" went south at a very wrong time, margin calls and the like. ...all this caused my sale of the physical gold and silver before I wanted to. Bottom line , everything you do is based more on luck than anything else.......it was fun though, I made it a hobby for many years.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:14 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Physical gold is still a commodity , while it's fun to collect it , feel it, count it, the bottom line is it's worth when you have to sell it. We are not likely to enter a barter exchange system anytime soon, so the best you can really hope for is a very long time of holding and periodic buying where the spread over time creates a major investment savings.

I ,along with a lot of folks started buying in the early Eighties, with no interest in selling until I had to to continue a quality of life in the far distant future......well low and behold that distant future came home to roost , it was time in the past recession when I had little choice but to sell. Sure I did reap a large profit , but only because gold increased in value 4-5 times what I paid for it. All these years in between I tried to hedge my commodity investments buying gold mining stocks, and some futures. ........in the end , my " investments" went south at a very wrong time, margin calls and the like. ...all this caused my sale of the physical gold and silver before I wanted to. Bottom line , everything you do is based more on luck than anything else.......it was fun though, I made it a hobby for many years.
That said 'the golden years' wouldn't wait.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:29 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But diet and exercise doesn't fix everything. Otherwise like we wouldn't be gaining in years lived overall. Its my opinion few recognize the miracles of medical advances these days.
Modern medicine is a real miracle, but a lot of times I think you basically get what you get from your genetics.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:34 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
That said 'the golden years' wouldn't wait.
O' so true , we are on the down hill slide of life, only one thing can stop it. Actually , the golden years were somewhere in our 40s . All the things we dream about , more money ,confidence , more independence in the work place , more stable chances for a lasting personal romance .and a greater ability for more extreme sports and adventures. Those should be the golden years !

Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Golden years...makes me think of the Diane Keaton commercial
about her Grammy getting colon cancer in her 80s.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:25 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Meditation could in no way have prevented my being hit by a severe neurological condition at age 66 which required hours of serious, cervical surgery and from which I will never fully recover.
True. But meditation can be a powerful tool to help you cope with the stress of the condition, and that's no small thing.

I'm speaking as someone who only began a meditation practice a few years ago. Luckily (knock wood) I've not been yet waylaid by major health issues but I have had the usual -and then some- run of family/stress stuff. When I began meditating I did so as part of a spiritual discipline, kind of a new (for me) way of prayer, without any expectation at all of any particular benefits.

Boy was I surprised. I could go on and on here re the benefits I've experienced but the long and short is until you experience it for yourself, you can't appreciate how much meditation can help you deal with any problem life throws at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement