Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:12 AM

813 posts, read 600,452 times

Advertisements

Do you sit down to tie your shoes? If you do, you may want to start doing it standing up. Aging starts with small concessions...

I'm 53 and feel old every time I go to see a movie. They make kids younger than they used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,382,405 times
The first time I felt old was when a young man called me Ma'am. I was about 40. Seriously, I feel great so not worried about aging. It's a fact of life and I embrace it!

Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Seven years old.

And my mother washed my mouth out with soap.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:24 AM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
I was thinking of starting the same thread the other day.
I go to a Vintage senors group at church, its a big church and were about 80 people. I believe women don't want to admit their in that age group until at least 65 with 70 more like it.
I'm 72 and there are a few younger, quite a few probably my age and a lot who are getting up there. A little old lady is 90 and very active. Its difficult to estimate age often.
Since a lot of people die around 80 I would say about 78 your really old.
I get the idea that somewhere around 77 most don't do much as far as work on anything goes, they still drive and go places.
I have some friends 77 and 74 who are driving from Calif to Texas and back right now.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
I'm almost 67 and don't feel "old" but I'm starting to see it coming. I realize that I often make younger person's decisions and plans and then have to struggle to follow through.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I only started feeling really old this year. The reason? My hair seems to be falling out.

The hair loss is exacerbated by the fact that the strands have gotten thinner and fragile, so there are many more broken strands than there used to be. On advice from a beautician I no longer brush my hair but finger-comb it mostly and use a wide-tooth comb to finish up -- gently.

I inherited thick wavy hair from my father's side of the family so I suppose I should not complain. I don't have less hair than many women. It's just that I don't look like me any more.

I am 61.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:05 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Maybe this has been asked already. Just curious at what age, and why, you came to the realization, if ever(!) that you were "really old"? And did you ever look back 10 years after that and say "Well, I guess I wasn't as old as I thought!"? I'm only 57, and certainly don't feel old, and know quite a few retirees in their mid 70s that still don't think of themselves as old. I've only known 10 people well in to their 80s and some had totally given up on life and others were too busy to get old until their bodies gave out.
Hmmmm... I don't think I'm there yet. I mean, I am 'only' 72 so have some time yet to start feeling 'old'. I will say I am getting tired of people and their dang clichés about age! I have people tell me, all the time, I should be "grateful to have a job" because, supposedly, it keeps me 'young'. Phooey. It keeps me tired! lol I am told that I'm lucky to be around so many young people because THAT keeps me 'young'. No, it doesn't. It frustrates me because I see them do such dumb things!

I am NOT "young" but I'm not "old" either. Getting 'older' chronologically is not an option...it's going to happen...but a good attitude and sense of humor can go a long ways. If I can find things to laugh about in life I feel pretty good. My job provides a lot of laughs sometimes.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:13 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I only started feeling really old this year. The reason? My hair seems to be falling out.

The hair loss is exacerbated by the fact that the strands have gotten thinner and fragile, so there are many more broken strands than there used to be. On advice from a beautician I no longer brush my hair but finger-comb it mostly and use a wide-tooth comb to finish up -- gently.

I inherited thick wavy hair from my father's side of the family so I suppose I should not complain. I don't have less hair than many women. It's just that I don't look like me any more.

I am 61.
I'm going through that hair thing too and it's aggravating. Seems I've developed some big ol' ugly cowlicks. When I was young my hair was so thick I had to have it thinned out now and then. I had my thyroid checked because I'd heard that can affect hair but it's fine. I never use blow dryers or brushes and usually comb it with a pick comb. I do have to use a LOT of hairspray because my hair is so fine and soft it won't curl without a perm and hairspray. Maybe I'll just resort to wigs! lol

Old 06-30-2015, 11:02 AM

761 posts, read 832,314 times
I have the body of 20 year old man.
I have to give it back because I am getting it all wrinkled.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:05 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
I just turned 68, but so far, don't feel any older than I ever did.

If I start to feelin' old, I just go visit my 93-year-old neighbor, and see what he's up to. THAT usually makes me feel old!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement