Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:25 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,611,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
Been there done that. You better be rich enough to buy property, because a Schengen Visa is only good for 6 months then you must leave the entire EU. The visa applies to everyone that is not a EU citizen.
There are a few European countries that will give passports/citizenship if you have parents or grandparents who lived there, that's how I hold dual citizenship. That also enables you to live anywhere in the EU & use the national health schemes for free if you wish.

Also agree on the renting rather than buying until you are in country for a long time or marry a native.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 10:45 AM

708 posts, read 721,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If I were to move to some place that had:

1. at least occasional snow...
2. with summers not too hot (no triple digits!)...
3. had great soil and enough rain for great gardening...
4. along with a low cost of living...
5. a good # of medical providers (probably not a small city or town)....

where would that be? Does some place come to mind, that you know of?
All those things you list are in North Dakota. I know most people never think about moving there but they all of the above but number is getting higher. Growing gardens is amazing because beautiful summers.
If you research, North Dakota leads the national in many agriculture products. Fargo area has the best soil in world but perhaps more snow then occasional lol

Old 09-11-2015, 11:33 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
Been there done that. You better be rich enough to buy property, because a Schengen Visa is only good for 6 months then you must leave the entire EU. The visa applies to everyone that is not a EU citizen.
It's not impossible for retirees with a fixed income to get resident visas in Europe. Depending on the country, it may involve a lot of paperwork, like for France, but it's still not impossible. Medicare doesn't pay for overseas care, even if it's much cheaper, so you have to buy private insurance before you can get the visa.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:19 PM

8 posts, read 16,573 times
I would like to find this as well!

Old 09-13-2015, 10:54 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This is all good information, but, it leaves out humidity as a measure of hot-weather misery. I would much rather have 100 out here in dry Eastern WA, than 90 in Atlanta (where I grew up, so I know what I am talking about).

Seattle and Portland areas are good for gardening, but seldom get snow (and no one there has a clue how to drive in snow, so if it snows, just stay home...) Better COL in small towns along the coast. WA has no state income tax.
I'm humidity-resistant, having been born and raised on the Gulf Coast. All the areas I list are at least normal humidity, with most being higher than average. That is my preference.

Dallas, which has normal humidity, seems too dry to me.

If I want rain for gardening and such, I have to take the humidity that goes with it. It's also good for the skin. To me, 105 degrees is sizzling hot...I don't care if it's dry. It's still 105.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:38 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,800,616 times
Quote:
I'm humidity-resistant, having been born and raised on the Gulf Coast. All the areas I list are at least normal humidity, with most being higher than average. That is my preference.

Dallas, which has normal humidity, seems too dry to me.

If I want rain for gardening and such, I have to take the humidity that goes with it. It's also good for the skin. To me, 105 degrees is sizzling hot...I don't care if it's dry. It's still 105.
A kindred spirit. Dry heat just takes longer to get to you because of the reduced density of the air and because evaporative cooling means sweating helps. But if you are going to be out in it a while, it will get to you just the same. I lived in CO a few years after spending most of my childhood and early adulthood in AL, GA and FL. I didn't like what the dry air did to my skin and sinuses.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:12 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
Bpollen: Tried to rep you for last post. I agree, if it's 105 or even 100, dry or not, it's still too hot.
Have had 4 months of 24/7 AC now, and am so done. I am so dry I might just flake away into the wind.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:54 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Quote:
If I were to move to some place that had:

1. at least occasional snow...
2. with summers not too hot (no triple digits!)...
3. had great soil and enough rain for great gardening...
4. along with a low cost of living...
5. a good # of medical providers (probably not a small city or town)....

where would that be? Does some place come to mind, that you know of?
Louisville KY? Cinncinnati Oh? Cinncinnati might get more snow than you want but the other stuff is there. Knoxville or Nashville TN...............pick someplace between the 30th and 40th parallel that isn't at high elevation

Old 09-14-2015, 05:14 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Louisville KY? Cinncinnati Oh? Cinncinnati might get more snow than you want but the other stuff is there. Knoxville or Nashville TN...............pick someplace between the 30th and 40th parallel that isn't at high elevation
I agree...Louisville to a T...Cincy is only 90 miles north but tends to get a lot more snow when Louisville just gets the rain, although both cities average around a foot of snow total for the whole winter each year.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:42 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,251,230 times
Sounds like Columbus has what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement