Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 06:45 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,987,316 times

Advertisements

Why do you have to "get it"? Many elderly women have thinning hair. A short cut minimizes this. Many elderly women have issues with the effort it takes to wash and maintain long hair. I can't understand the complaint about what other people do with their hair. Or their clothes. Or their personal appearance.

If the short hair suddenly makes its appearance on a woman you love, wouldn't you feel close enough to ask her why she suddenly chose this style? Maybe no one ever told her how beautiful she is so she decided to break the old routine. If the woman isn't known to you, what would be your interest in her hair style? Possibly she is a volunteer in so many organizations that she decided to off-load a time-consuming routine so she could free up a little more time for her activities. Whatever it is, don't worry about "getting it".

Personally, I don't "get" the stubble look that many men have adopted in recent years. It looks scruffy and unkempt. But it doesn't impact me so I roll my eyes and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 06:58 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,606,987 times
My hair is long beyond shoulders and it takes 5 minutes or less to wash, and it air dries very quickly. No hair dryer needed.

So I do not understand this strong concern about 'time-consuming' or 'easier'.

I do nothing to it after washing it.

Also it is much easier than short hair because i can just whip it up with an elastic or barrette and wear it up on top of the head quickly, if desired.

Also I NEVER go to a salon. I just cut the tiny ends a couple times per year myself.

Before retirement, I had blonde streaks put in every 4 months, but stopped that upon retirement.

And I love stubble on men.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:05 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,366,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I would bet that when women started wearing pants/slacks instead of skirts, many believed it was a definite sign of being lesbian.

It's behavior, not looks, that determines gender. Just because some lesbian women sport very very short hair does not mean anything across the board in terms of gender. There are men who wear long hair, even into their 70s, who are very much male and even macho.

Yes, and this whole thread has just gotten ridiculous.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:32 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,795,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
My hair is long beyond shoulders and it takes 5 minutes or less to wash, and it air dries very quickly. No hair dryer needed.

So I do not understand this strong concern about 'time-consuming' or 'easier'.

I do nothing to it after washing it.

Also it is much easier than short hair because i can just whip it up with an elastic or barrette and wear it up on top of the head quickly, if desired.

Also I NEVER go to a salon. I just cut the tiny ends a couple times per year myself.

Before retirement, I had blonde streaks put in every 4 months, but stopped that upon retirement.

And I love stubble on men.
Are you me? This sounds just like me!

I wash my mid-back length hair every other day. I do it in the shower. From the time I roll out of bed to when I am walking downstairs to head to work is 15-20 minutes - in that time, I've showered, washed and conditioned hair, combed out my hair, gotten dressed, etc. I never dry my hair, and I never, ever straighten it or curl it or any of that stuff. Pull it back and off I go. I love it! The only thing I do differently is I do go to a salon about twice a year and get a couple of inches trimmed off and thinned out.

I'm so glad people can choose to wear their hair how THEY like it, and not how some others on the internet might prefer they wear it.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,288,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, and this whole thread has just gotten ridiculous.
I totally agree.

I don't care what you do with your hair; I don't care what some old man thinks about my hair; I wear my hair to please myself, which is my right. It is a free country.

Some countries insist that their women cover up as if they are ashamed to be seen. Here we have the right to present ourselves as we see fit. Cut your hair or don't cut your hair. Why anyone would care about this I have no idea.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:43 PM

why would anyone care? aesthetics

Old 11-22-2015, 08:19 PM

7,072 posts, read 6,345,964 times
I used to have beautiful long brown curly hair. It was gorgeous. Then, as soon as it started turning gray, it also started losing the curls. I now keep it short because it also started thinning. I was growing it out but it really looked ridiculous. That is why it is short now.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:36 PM

I want to mention that Riverbird's interpretation of the discussion is completely wrong when she says:

"I would bet that when women started wearing pants/slacks instead of skirts, many believed it was a definite sign of being lesbian."

No one (nor I) is saying that all or many women who have short hair are lesbians, and no one (nor I) are saying that short hair on women often equates to being gay.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-22-2015 at 10:59 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 04:48 AM

15,064 posts, read 12,258,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No you can't claim it was just an innocent question, that's not true. The OP didn't have a question, he had an opinion that he wanted to express and thought it would appear less crass if he put it in the form of a question. There are topics like that all over C-D, they don't invite discussion, they do just the opposite. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this one: "How can anyone with a brain vote for XXX" it is in no way a question, it's a very judgmental remark with a question mark at the end of it.
LOL, well, for not inviting a discussion, you'll have to admit that the OP's remarks have surely brought on a boatload of comments! Look at the length of this thread, and it's still going on.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,288,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
why would anyone care? aesthetics
So you care because someone else doesn't please you visually? Really?

You do know that someone else is not pleased with you visually, right? I mean this cuts both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement