Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 04:27 PM

5,951 posts, read 5,136,495 times

Advertisements

Sad, very sad. You are missing so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Try again. We're not talking about an interpretation of facts; we're talking about the recognition of an allegorical story. If you completely miss the allegory and just report the so-called "facts," you would deserve a failing grade.

NYgal2NC's professor asked her what she thought a book was about and she couldn't understand how her response could possibly be wrong. In my Animal Farm example, if one took it at face value and responded that the book was simply about animals vs. humans rather than an allegory about communism, (and more specifically, Stalinism), then to quote NYgal2NC's professor, you would be wrong.

I realize that you like to argue with me just for the sake of argument, but even you must be able to see the point that I'm trying to get across to NYgal2NC.

Sorry, Man, I'll never see your point. You seem incapable of seeing mine. Oh and the book was not about a farm, a farmer, and his chickens. Sorry to disappoint.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,025,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Yes, but opinions have various levels of sophistication, use of language, shallowness or depth, understanding of and knowledge of a myriad of factors in life.

Many book reviews written by random people would not equal the level of literary quality printed in the New York Times book reviews and New York Review of Books.
As much as we intellectual types like to exalt the NYT, the opinions expressed therein are not necessarily the height of authority; the paper offers opinion in the garb of the sophisticated intellectual. High language often masks poorly made argument. Not to dispute your first sentence, but opinions are what they are, nothing more, nothing less. A "thesis" is a proved opinion (I think all redheads are crazy, and therefore I will set out to prove it; I think the Retirement forum should stay as it is and I'm conducting formal research to prove my point, etc.) Too often opinions are offered and jumped on, mistaken for formal thesis.

Oh good grief, here I am buying into the offshoot. This poor thread will soon be talking about travel.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

NYgal2NC's professor asked her what she thought a book was about and she couldn't understand how her response could possibly be wrong. In my Animal Farm example, if one took it at face value and responded that the book was simply about animals vs. humans rather than an allegory about communism, (and more specifically, Stalinism), then to quote NYgal2NC's professor, you would be wrong.
Works well for the Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:56 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,051,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, you know what they say about opinions, as in, everyone has one.

I'd opine the same goes for book reviews, which are, after all opinions in literary form.

I so agree

Old 12-01-2015, 05:07 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,617,327 times
Then just consider my first sentence, and forget the 2nd sentence mentioning the New York Review of Books and the New York Times book reviews.....which are two completely different publications.

my first sentence:
'Yes, but opinions have various levels of sophistication, use of language, shallowness or depth, understanding of and knowledge of a myriad of factors in life.'

Yes, book reviews contain opinion, but that does not mean all are written in an equal manner with equal use of language and ideas, and that all deserve a good grade in college just because they contain opinions.

Use of language can range from the very juvenile to well-developed, same with ideas.

Again, just expressing an opinion does not automatically deserve a good grade in college.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Then just consider my first sentence, and forget the 2nd sentence mentioning the New York Review of Books and the New York Times book reviews.....which are two completely different publications.

my first sentence:
'Yes, but opinions have various levels of sophistication, use of language, shallowness or depth, understanding of and knowledge of a myriad of factors in life.'

Yes, book reviews contain opinion, but that does not mean all are written in an equal manner with equal use of language and ideas, and that all deserve a good grade in college just because they contain opinions.

Use of language can range from the very juvenile to well-developed, same with ideas.

Again, just expressing an opinion does not automatically deserve a good grade in college.
One of the most well-developed book reports I've read, written by my now 32-year-old son when he was in fifth or sixth grade, went something like this (it was a book about the Pilgrims, the popular "factual" version):

"Soon into reading this book I realized it was probably all lies. Also I didn't like the writing. The sentences were too long." And he went on to support his opinion. He didn't fail the assignment. He wound up getting pretty good grades in college, while usually telling it as he sees it.

You can have the last word.

Really now, back to hair! I can't believe how short I let it be cut today!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:49 PM

RiverBird: Oh how I would love to see a picture of you with your new "do." I bet it is stunning. Good for you for taking the plunge.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:57 PM

42,813 posts, read 26,518,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
RiverBird: Oh how I would love to see a picture of you with your new "do." I bet it is stunning. Good for you for taking the plunge.
Before anyone posts a personal photo here, please keep in mind that with google image search if you ever used that image anywhere on a social media site or blog, whackos can find out an awful lot about you -try it sometime if you don't believe me

Old 12-01-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Before anyone posts a personal photo here, please keep in mind that with google image search if you ever used that image anywhere on a social media site or blog, whackos can find out an awful lot about you -try it sometime if you don't believe me

Good reminder, thank you. However, I was not suggesting that RiverBird post a picture here or anywhere else on line. Just to be clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement