Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 11:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,299,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My hair is a mousy light/medium brown with unevenly distributed grey hairs. I dye it because that color combo really isn't pleasing to me. If it makes me look younger that's a bonus, but not my intent. I don't think dyed hair actually fools anyone into thinking you're younger.
True, it doesn't, but my hair is very fine, and a dark red makes it look like there's a lot more their there. For breakable hair, it also makes it stronger if you use henna. The real color is a very pretty silver, but red looks a lot more visible and does at least make me feel younger.

The face visits the land of Olay, and looks much younger, but the hands show some age and I don't care, so the hair isn't to look younger, but thicker/more, and I like that it doesn't break off that easily. And henna comes in clear which I next intend to try inbetween to see if it thickens/strengthens it. Having extra fine hair really sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 01:37 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,310,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Very true. I wonder. Since I switched to henna, which actually adds body and strength, my hair very fine hair looked pretty sad. I'll stick with henna from now on, especially since instead of stopping damage it actually fixes it to a point.

Yes, women need to look somewhat 'businesslike' but I don't think everyone needs to look like the same style with different colors.
I’ve been highlighting my hair for years, but I always use a cap. Nothing sits on my head. With short hair I have to highlight often, but with my hair longer I can stretch out the time. I bought the kit and I’ll be doing it this weekend. Six months ago I did it.

The key is to make it blend you need to be very judicious in your picking. Use the metal hook and pull through a few strands, not clumps of strands. Some caps have holes with circles, just use those and even then not every single one. With highlighting, fewer is better. In fact, if you highlight just a little, in a few weeks you can do it again if you want more highlights.

If your hair is ashy (cool), do a strand test. Too long loses all the color, too short of a time makes your hair brassy. If you do end up brassy, go find the lightest ash blonde semi permanent hair color and color your hair your whole head. It will remove the brass, and not lighten your hair that much, a little bit but not much. But it completely eliminates the brass, the fix never washes out.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:51 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,299,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’ve been highlighting my hair for years, but I always use a cap. Nothing sits on my head. With short hair I have to highlight often, but with my hair longer I can stretch out the time. I bought the kit and I’ll be doing it this weekend. Six months ago I did it.

The key is to make it blend you need to be very judicious in your picking. Use the metal hook and pull through a few strands, not clumps of strands. Some caps have holes with circles, just use those and even then not every single one. With highlighting, fewer is better. In fact, if you highlight just a little, in a few weeks you can do it again if you want more highlights.

If your hair is ashy (cool), do a strand test. Too long loses all the color, too short of a time makes your hair brassy. If you do end up brassy, go find the lightest ash blonde semi permanent hair color and color your hair your whole head. It will remove the brass, and not lighten your hair that much, a little bit but not much. But it completely eliminates the brass, the fix never washes out.
My hairs natural color now is this kind of pretty silver, but I'm not interested in featuring it. It takes the henna really well. I do it with a brown dye first, then the red over the brown so it avoids any orange. It's the roots which need to be dyed, not the ends. I give the roots time for the color to take, and then refresh the rest. It makes a mess, but it looks nice and red and no oranges.

I've never heard of those caps, but they would be interesting to try. The main retouch is still going to be the roots though.

What I like best about henna is that while every kind of hair color I've tried had been a disastor for my hair, with much breakage, this stuff actually makes it stronger. I'm going to get some of the clear and try it inbetween for making it strong enought it might keep some length.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:30 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,099,306 times
I'm trying to adjust to my graying hair (I love it in theory, but not so much in practice), but am keeping henna in mind. I would first try the "Fanciful" rinse, although I realize there's the potential for this to rinse out if you get caught in the rain...

Old 12-01-2017, 09:02 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,317,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Looks a heck of a lot better than some 60 year old woman who wears her grey/white hair the same length as if she were 25-30.
That is only your opinion. I feel otherwise.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:40 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,332,447 times
I just had my hair cut in a multilayer curly Bob around chin length.

I was willing to try a Judy dench pixie because I am tired of my already thin and fine hair falling out but will see how this goes before I get drastic with the cut. I don't think this style would look mannish on me given my features, but the OP may see it differently

It was sad to see what remained of my naturally copper blond hair falling to the floor. The last of the color. But I am content with the way the silver is taking over.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:06 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
This. Been frustrated with fine straight hair hair all my life. Now thin fine straight hair. It is now as short as its ever been. If I had the guts I'd shave my head. I think about it all the time.
You might be surprised how tender your scalp is with no hair. I experienced that when I had chemo and it all fell out.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:13 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,310,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My hairs natural color now is this kind of pretty silver, but I'm not interested in featuring it. It takes the henna really well. I do it with a brown dye first, then the red over the brown so it avoids any orange. It's the roots which need to be dyed, not the ends. I give the roots time for the color to take, and then refresh the rest. It makes a mess, but it looks nice and red and no oranges.

I've never heard of those caps, but they would be interesting to try. The main retouch is still going to be the roots though.

What I like best about henna is that while every kind of hair color I've tried had been a disastor for my hair, with much breakage, this stuff actually makes it stronger. I'm going to get some of the clear and try it inbetween for making it strong enought it might keep some length.
The cap is for highlighting only. My stylist knows me and told me stay away from all over head hair coloring, as I don’t have the patience to deal with roots. I tried it. She was right. I found an olia color close to mine and dyed it back.

As for breakage. Yikes. My mom and a friend went to the same hairdresser, and mom’s friend also dyed her short hair platinum blonde. A lot. And got perms. Her hair was very short, but she still abused it. She came in for a perm and the stylist said no. Her hair was too damaged, and a perm would probably cause hair loss. Lady got huffy and left.

Yeah, she went somewhere else, had it done, burned off over half her hair. She wore a wig for about a year. But that year she left her hair alone and got frequent cuts. And at the end of the year she had nice grey hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I just had my hair cut in a multilayer curly Bob around chin length.

I was willing to try a Judy dench pixie because I am tired of my already thin and fine hair falling out but will see how this goes before I get drastic with the cut. I don't think this style would look mannish on me given my features, but the OP may see it differently

It was sad to see what remained of my naturally copper blond hair falling to the floor. The last of the color. But I am content with the way the silver is taking over.
One of the things that makes a short cut more feminine is longer pieces. When my stylist went short on me, she left wispy longer strands to frame my face and on the nose of my neck. A softer look than a tight and clean cut.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:43 PM

714 posts, read 724,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw another one today. A lady about my age that cut most of her hair off. It was no more than an inch long all over her head. I don't get it? IMHO, it certainly doesn't make them more attractive. Yet I see women who do this who obviously do other things and spend money to make themselves look better, but then cut their hair mostly off. I didn't think hair was that big a maint. thing. Maybe the ladies can explain?
I was not aware that women were put on the earth solely to provide YOU with something to look at.

Has it ever occurred to you that women cut their hair because they want something easy to take care of? Or perhaps that women lose their hair too after menopause?

The longer my hair is, the thinner it looks on top. I have my father's hairline and it is archetypal male pattern baldness genetics -- thin on top, thicker on the sides. When it is short, it looks thicker. It is a nice style, it is easy to maintain, and if the males of the species don't like the way it looks, too bad. Don't look.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Short hair for me is a major commitment. It’s a cut every four to six weeks, product, major styling with a hair dryer and curling iron, then hair spray. Long? A cut every four months, a little product, dry my hair upside down to get major root lift, a little styling with a round brush, good to go. Five minute hair.
LOL for me it's exactly the opposite - my hair is so thick and coarse that long hair is a major commitment and it always took me a significant amount of time and product to whip it into some semblance of order when it was long.

I cut it wayyyyyyy off (short and spiky) and now I have five minute hair in the mornings! If that. Honestly - I think it takes me about three minutes to "style" it. Yes, I go get it it cut once every five weeks but that's only half an hour so I'm good with that. I wash it about once every four days and let it air dry and then hit it with a flat iron in a few spots and I'm done. No spiking products, no waxes, no pomades, no hair spray, no blow dryers, none of that. A dab of argan oil and that's it.

I also let it go it's natural color which I hadn't seen in decades and to my surprise it's platinum blonde for the most part on top and dark brown underneath. I love it! I had a stranger come up to me (a man with a woman just for the record) in a restaurant the other day and he said, "Excuse me and you may think I'm weird, but your hair is the most beautiful color - do you mind if I ask you if it's natural? If not, who does it for you?" I said, "It's all natural," and he said, "Well, it's fantastic."

Made my day! So I spend $35 every five weeks and about $5 a month on hair products if you average it out. I can totally live with that!

Also, in spite of being short (it's short around the sides - like above my ears short but longer and asymmetrical on top so it's got a feminine vibe to it), I'm quite the girly girl and it definitely shows. I was the first woman with really short hair that my husband ever dated and after we got married I tried my hand at growing it back out - for the longest year of my life. Finally I had had enough and cut it back off and my husband said, "Thank God - I finally got my wife back!" He loves it.

Different people have different types of hair and facial shapes and of course it's not one size fits all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement