Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 09:53 AM

705 posts, read 562,945 times

Advertisements

I had a friend that had all of her her hair cut off short like a man's when she was diagnosed with cancer. It may not be the attractive but as her Dr. told her, it beats the pain and shock of it falling out later by the hand full. 1 in 3 get cancer now so I feel certain we'll see this more and more. BTW, cancer killed my friend but she never outwardly looked sick, she didn't last that long. And it hurt her a great deal when people stared at her or make remarks to each other, yes people can be rude. It was the middle of summer and very hot but she finally got a wig and endured it because of the shame she felt. I finally found a cloth turban she could wear which was much cooler. We just never know what anyone is dealing with and besides...it's not our place to judge if it doesn't concern us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 10:17 AM

561 posts, read 325,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
What’s wrong with gray? The biggest sign of old age is whether someone’s eyes look lively or not. Whether the brain is still open for business.
In my humble opinion, badly dyed or growing out dye is much more unflattering than any shade of grey. If you don't have the means or the desire to keep up with roots and choose a shade that still flatters your skin tone then the coloring does exactly the opposite of what you intended. A harsh dark color flatters no older women regardless of what color it was in your 20's. Personally watching my mother in law look paler and paler as the years pass and her color stays the same as the 20 year old model on the box cemented my decision to let my hair transition on it's own. The grey doesn't bother my husband or myself and no one else's opinion matters to me in regard to color or length. Even my MIL is apparently happy with her color so it doesn't really matter what I think except in regard to not following that choice for myself.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:58 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,126,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Well, here's the last word on the subject.

https://bestlifeonline.com/womens-haircuts/

Actually, the one I thought would be number one wasn't mentioned at all. I think all of the ones that were mentioned can look good on the right face. But tight, stiff curls age anyone IMHO.
The only hairstyle left that they did not list was a full head shave.

What a stupid listicle. Just look at someone liike Jaclyn Smith who in her seventies wears a full on Farrah Fawcett and looks amazing for any age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
[mod cut - deleted post]
Sorry to burst your bubble Rumann but most women over the age of 15 color their hair with the exception of those over a certain age that wish to go naturally grey.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 04-29-2019 at 03:48 PM..

Old 04-23-2019, 12:03 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Well, here's the last word on the subject.

https://bestlifeonline.com/womens-haircuts/

Actually, the one I thought would be number one wasn't mentioned at all. I think all of the ones that were mentioned can look good on the right face. But tight, stiff curls age anyone IMHO.
Well that was depressing, what's left? braids wrapped around the top of your head?

Old 04-23-2019, 02:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,475,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The only hairstyle left that they did not list was a full head shave.

Sorry to burst your bubble Rumann but most women over the age of 15 color their hair with the exception of those over a certain age that wish to go naturally grey.

All the women I know do. The only exception being those who let their hair go grey.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:43 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
[mod cut - deleted post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
[/b]
All the women I know do. The only exception being those who let their hair go grey.
Hilarious that most men are just completely clueless and yet speak with such authority - typical!

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 04-29-2019 at 03:49 PM..

Old 04-23-2019, 04:52 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,720,470 times
Quote:
Some of us get a shade of gray that is not complimentary to our skin tone. That's why it took me so long to quit coloring. I'd start letting it grow out, and my skin just looked terrible. Sallow or something. With the salt and pepper, I have to wait till I'm mostly salt before it will be worth it to correct the shade of gray to something more flattering. So in the meantime I'm stuck.

Luckily my in-styler really helps with the texture. It smooths out the frizz that the gray brings and adds a little shine that lasts till my next shampoo. It's really fast too, only 10 minutes on my bra-strap length hair. That's one beauty investment I'm glad I made.
OK, I get why that might bother someone. I guess the problem solves itself by changing more (to silver or white), but why wait if you don’t like it, when dyeing is available. Dying is also available and an even worse choice!

Old 04-23-2019, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 1,812 times
Hi guys, c charlie here. Had a problem signing in,so have re registered. Don't know outcome yet. Will probably lose my rep points, but that's not really a big deal

My last girlfriend was 60 . Her hair was very grey. She was also about 5'6" and a size zero. Her hair was cut very short, to the shape of her head. She looked wonderful.

I'm now 71, with male pattern balding,and a full beard. Every 2 months I go to a barber and get a buzz cut with a number three attachment.

It is my opinion is that older men,with the same balding pattern and say a pigtail, look like pimps. Simply my opinion. I would never presume to tell another person how to have their hair, clothing (including hajib or burqa) or even tattoos and body piercings because:

(1) It's none of my damn business.

(2) Hair length[ for guys] was a big deal when I was in my teens and early 20's. I had some pretty serious arguments with employers. First time, I caved rather than lose my job. Second time was in the Civil Service; supervisor ordered me to get a hair cut. I told him to go frack himself. I was reprimanded for swearing at him, but kept my hair 'long', for the times; just like the Beatles in the early 60's. Looks pretty tame now. Of course it was never really about hair.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,475,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hilarious that most men are just completely clueless and yet speak with such authority - typical!
That’s probably because today’s hair coloring and makeup are really good at appearing natural. All men should watch this video. I really don’t think Jane, “took it all off” either.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa9mqcvh3sA

Old 04-23-2019, 06:22 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,507,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
OK, I get why that might bother someone. I guess the problem solves itself by changing more (to silver or white), but why wait if you don’t like it, when dyeing is available. Dying is also available and an even worse choice!

I still have about 30% dark brown hair. If I change it to a different color gray, the brown roots will grow in and it will look awful, just like when I was coloring it brown, the grays would grow in so fast I'd have to touch it up every 18 days. I hate coloring my hair. If I could afford to have it done professionally, I might do it, but not in my own bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement