Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2019, 09:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,592,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I had a friend that had all of her her hair cut off short like a man's when she was diagnosed with cancer. It may not be the attractive but as her Dr. told her, it beats the pain and shock of it falling out later by the hand full. 1 in 3 get cancer now so I feel certain we'll see this more and more. BTW, cancer killed my friend but she never outwardly looked sick, she didn't last that long. And it hurt her a great deal when people stared at her or make remarks to each other, yes people can be rude. It was the middle of summer and very hot but she finally got a wig and endured it because of the shame she felt. I finally found a cloth turban she could wear which was much cooler. We just never know what anyone is dealing with and besides...it's not our place to judge if it doesn't concern us.
Short haircuts are not the exclusive domain of men. It's only hair. Women and men get to determine the length of their hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 10:05 AM

6,333 posts, read 4,256,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The idea that anyone looks -- clothes, makeup, hairdo -- a certain way "to please oneself" is ridiculous; you can't see yourself unless you're looking in a mirror. Dressing for comfort, absolutely. Dressing to impress others (male or female) because their favorable opinion makes you feel good about yourself, sure. But you can't see "yourself."

No it’s not. Finding freedom in your own style is liberating. No dictates of how we are supposed to look, no dictates from others on how we should dress to please them. I’m not the least interested in impressing others. I buy something because I LOvE the pattern and the design will work in a hot climate.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:07 AM

12,068 posts, read 10,360,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes, I also thought of these types of women as I was writing my post but I left it out because they are (hopefully) in the minority.

When I talked to other women around my age and up, some of the widows have said now that their spouses are gone they can dress and wear their hair as they please. I ask them why couldn't they do that while married and the replies are usually, "Because my husband wanted me to look a certain way."

It's fine to want to please a spouse if it makes everyone happy but not if it's one sided.

Sometimes too, men don't understand what it takes to look a certain way. I remember when we were married, my ex wanted me to wear my hair like Laura Petrie. My very curly, very unruly hair. I told him when he could afford to pay for a professional hairstylist like the one who worked on her hair and the time it would take for upkeep, I would wear my hair like hers.

Some men just don't get the impossible.
And you would think they would choose someone that already met their "standards" not try to make someone conform.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
This must be generational. I don't know a single person around my age group (mid 50's) who would think this way.
I'm in my 50s and the women i mentioned are my age. And that is how they think - weird.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I'm in my 50s and the women i mentioned are my age. And that is how they think - weird.
That is weird, wonder if it’s a geographical difference, or class/religious difference? I’ve never met anyone who was like that.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
That is weird, wonder if it’s a geographical difference, or class/religious difference? I’ve never met anyone who was like that.
Probably all three.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,569,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
This must be generational. I don't know a single person around my age group (mid 50's) who would think this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Same here with my age group 60 +
I don't think one can generalize regarding generations. The age group I hang out with includes women in their 50's, 60's, 70's and up. It's all going to depend upon who you hang out with. Obviously, I would more than likely not have much in common with women who were subservient to their husbands regardless of age so judging by that criteria I could say I don't know any woman in my generation or any of the others who does this because they are not in my immediate circle of friends.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:35 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,569,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And you would think they would choose someone that already met their "standards" not try to make someone conform.
You would, I don't understand the mentality behind this thinking whether it's from a man or woman; that you can change or even have the right to dictate changes to your spouse. In my case that's one of the reasons he was my ex.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't think one can generalize regarding generations. The age group I hang out with includes women in their 50's, 60's, 70's and up. It's all going to depend upon who you hang out with. Obviously, I would more than likely not have much in common with women who were subservient to their husbands regardless of age so judging by that criteria I could say I don't know any woman in my generation or any of the others who does this because they are not in my immediate circle of friends.
What makes you think my life and circle of friends has been limited. Well one part is true I wouldn’t be hanging around with evangelical women, although I did with one for two years but she gave up on me lol! I do agree we can’t generalize.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:38 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,797,765 times
I think there are cultural differences even within one state or age group.

We lived a few years where women and men both groomed themselves (or not) for their own reasons. The only disparagments came in response to unhygienic conditions such as strong body odor from not showering. Dress code or hairstyle, so what? I liked the lack of emphasis on those things.

In contrast, here it seems many women dye their hair rather than allowing the gray to show (common where we had lived, above), and wearing makeup is more common. It doesn’t bother me since it is their own hair and body. I just don’t subscribe to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement