Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 05:37 AM

6,792 posts, read 5,523,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I started getting Social Security last month. I just got a nasty little letter telling me that I will be required to pay more for Medicare because I made too much money in the past. This was one thing I didn't anticipate to be frank and it is rather annoying that I am required to pay more for exactly the same service because I have been successful. Dollar wise it is not a lot of money but as a percentage of what I pay for Medicare it is a huge increase. The government just cannot get enough of punishing the successful. I guess I am just getting the privilege of paying for the unproductive. My rant for the day.
"To whom much has been given, Much is required".

You pay more in taxes being more successful, right?

You live in a more expensive house, right?

You pay more in property taxes on that more expensive house, Right?

You pay more for the fancy vehicle you most likely drive, right?

NONE of those is 'privilege of paying for the unproductive'. RIGHT???

I have worked at least two{at the same time}, if not three jobs all my working life. Would you consider me "unproductive"?
Doing jobs you probably wouldn't even consider as they are probably "beneath you", yet when you use a public bathroom I have CLEANED, you benefit, right????.SO, IS that ME subsidizing the "successful???

Would you consider a person who physically/manually hauls the food stuffs or retail goods {heavy boxes sometimes} out of the truck and on to the sales floor for you EAT and buy, would that be 'the privilege of paying for' you, the "successful"? Or do you do your own complete farming for ALL the food you eat and hand-make your own goods?...let me guess, you buy 8 of the 50 lb. bags of fertilizer and you stand by nonchalantly unassisting while us "unproductive" people haul out the bags and load them into your fancy car, right?

I have NEVER made more than $30k FROM TWO {or three} jobs {AT the same time} a year in my life. Yet, you think me 'unproductive' because I DON'T PAY as much as you in Medicare insurance?

I even worked my way through college working two full time jobs, carrying 12 credit hours of course workload so I could pay for college, and didn't choose a high-falutin' career like you apparently did, so I am 'unproductive'?

It is THOSE HARDWORKING people like me who ALSO don't pay as much as you in medicare.

If you are SO "privileged", I'll bet you can afford the increase, as you have LOTS of income from Social Security and probably a fat pension and lots of savings/investments, too! I NEVER once, in all the places I worked, have a pension plan, only a 401 k.

I have had MANY disappointments, tragedies, and plain bad luck in my life, my health has never been good, and I am NOT complaining!
My budget is one I have to squeeze the buffalo till he poops to get by {if he were still on the nickel}, and YOU are complaining???

Have a good day,
Sheesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 07:14 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,294,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

I have worked at least two{at the same time}, if not three jobs all my working life. Would you consider me "unproductive"?
Doing jobs you probably wouldn't even consider as they are probably "beneath you", yet when you use a public bathroom I have CLEANED, you benefit, right????.SO, IS that ME subsidizing the "successful???

Would you consider a person who physically/manually hauls the food stuffs or retail goods {heavy boxes sometimes} out of the truck and on to the sales floor for you EAT and buy, would that be 'the privilege of paying for' you, the "successful"? Or do you do your own complete farming for ALL the food you eat and hand-make your own goods?...let me guess, you buy 8 of the 50 lb. bags of fertilizer and you stand by nonchalantly unassisting while us "unproductive" people haul out the bags and load them into your fancy car, right?

I have NEVER made more than $30k FROM TWO {or three} jobs {AT the same time} a year in my life. Yet, you think me 'unproductive' because I DON'T PAY as much as you in Medicare insurance?

I even worked my way through college working two full time jobs, carrying 12 credit hours of course workload so I could pay for college, and didn't choose a high-falutin' career like you apparently did, so I am 'unproductive'?

It is THOSE HARDWORKING people like me who ALSO don't pay as much as you in medicare.

If you are SO "privileged", I'll bet you can afford the increase, as you have LOTS of income from Social Security and probably a fat pension and lots of savings/investments, too! I NEVER once, in all the places I worked, have a pension plan, only a 401 k.

I have had MANY disappointments, tragedies, and plain bad luck in my life, my health has never been good, and I am NOT complaining!
My budget is one I have to squeeze the buffalo till he poops to get by {if he were still on the nickel}, and YOU are complaining???

Have a good day,
Sheesh
Not unproductive, but I am wondering what the heck you majored in to still have to work 3 jobs and make less than 30k.

You can be productive in a way that actually yields results, or you can be productive and still waste your time.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:29 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,818,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Not unproductive, but I am wondering what the heck you majored in to still have to work 3 jobs and make less than 30k.

You can be productive in a way that actually yields results, or you can be productive and still waste your time.
Haha, I was wondering the same thing. Writing is very good too. I made almost that much when I graduated from college 35 years.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:02 AM

6,792 posts, read 5,523,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

A "generic degree" {2 yr I could not afford two more} doesn't always get one far... and I wanted "extras", so I was willing to WORK for it! Not ALL college degrees come with walking into a $200k/yr job! I am Not an Attorney or Doctor.

Obviously with your fancy high-falutin' college degrees in something MORE "meaningful" than I have-you MISSED the POINT!
The Point IS...not all who who the O.P. must consider "unproductive" are slouches and lazy!

Makes ME wonder if you got what you paid for!

The third jobs were just part-part-part timers, usually to pay for extra vacations, like visiting my grandmother {before she passed away} in the south each year, for example.

With flat-lined wages not only here, but across the country, I make just about as much as I did 25 years ago, only I cannot work so much anymore. Though, I am seeking another additional job now to save more for retirement.

I also live a very stagnated economy driven largely by retail and food industry. Line cooks {who feed you} and stocking crew {so there is something on the shelves for you to buy} don't always make much, 2 yr college degree or not. Is FEEDING the people, and stocking up their beauty aids "wasting one's time"???
You should know that with your high-falutin' degree!
The stagnated economy here is the reason my new house cost me far less than $150K and doesn't come anywhere near the high $300k as in some cities across the country.

At least we HAVE jobs, NOT like some college high degreed individuals who spent 4 or 5 years from '08 {and on} with NO JOB, and relying on endless "unenjoyment" extensions from the government!!! Then the government finally said enough! "Take a job, ANY job!"

I don't know why those who make more expect to pay less than those who don't. You make more {often at our expense}, you pay more on some things, THAT is all, and apparently, from the number of reps I got on this posting, there are others who agree.
After all, the OP is complaining about paying for, what,a mere $10-45/mo more than someone who worked HARD and didn't make the OP's monetary income???? {some have no increase, some have a $10 increase, some a $45 increase}. I"ll bet the OP's cell phone bill cost more, and his internet connection {some still don't have one} probably cost more.

Some people will complain about anything.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:20 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,781,959 times
I still see seniors ripping off Medicare by the millions. No scooter too grand for them. And don't forget the millions of guests we have imported that will be screaming to tap the funds. CA is already extending Medicaid to illegals....

Old 11-16-2015, 08:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,512,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Does it adjust every year?
For example, if my income in 2013 was $200K but in 2014 it dropped to $60K do my Medicare B premiums drop back to the basic $104.90 per month rate?

Yes, it should drop back down for 2016. However, to be sure that they dont miss it, you might want to go to your SS office and show proof that your income has decreased.

Someone here was asking when SS issues the letters that advise what your SS payments will be and what your Medicare premiums will be for the coming year. My letter last year was dated November 26.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,533,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

Have a good day,
Sheesh
Clearly you have determined your situation. I have no obligation to support you and Don't care about your plight. Accept your personal responsibility and live with it.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 4,429 times
Wanderer0101, I hear you. It is not fair. Means testing with SS benefits is being proposed by some Presidential candidates also.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:48 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,810,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Clearly you have determined your situation. I have no obligation to support you and Don't care about your plight. Accept your personal responsibility and live with it.
At least you don't dance around it. I hate debating people who feel this way but won't admit it. With you, I just accept that we have vastly different opinions and no middle ground. We just have to settle it at the polls.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:57 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,283,950 times
Some, might want to brush up on the facts BEFORE they post.. When someone tries to denigrate someone else by using bogus facts, and calling them childish names, it doesn't make the intended victim look bad, it makes the attacker look horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I got hit last year by this. Just another bennie of obumacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement