Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:20 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,382,577 times

Advertisements

Yes. Had to go thru a Marriage Annulment and a divorce before meeting her. Actually, I was divorced for 21 years and hated single life. She's been divorced twice and we are only a year and half apart in age. It's darn near scary just how much we have in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Y'all are very lucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 12:50 PM

50 posts, read 53,820 times
The thing I hate most about my wife and I both being retired now is she seems to like to monitor my comings and goings. I was retired for a couple of years where she was still working and I loved the freedom to come and go on my own with no explaination. Now its: Where are you going? When are you coming back? OMG!

Old 12-30-2015, 01:09 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Yes. Had to go thru a Marriage Annulment and a divorce before meeting her. Actually, I was divorced for 21 years and hated single life. She's been divorced twice and we are only a year and half apart in age. It's darn near scary just how much we have in common.
Seems like third time is a charm.

There is hope for me!

Old 12-30-2015, 01:55 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old tired and angry View Post
The thing I hate most about my wife and I both being retired now is she seems to like to monitor my comings and goings. I was retired for a couple of years where she was still working and I loved the freedom to come and go on my own with no explaination. Now its: Where are you going? When are you coming back? OMG!

Be careful what you wish for. It could back fire on you.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:37 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Back when I was young, energetic and happy, I worked 12 hours a day six days a week. I spent lots of time with friends and family and got involved in many church and community activities. I did not see all that much of my wife because we were each doing our own thing.

Now that we are retired, we get on each others nerves and see too much of each other. I have solved that problem somewhat by moving down to my man cave when I want to be alone but that is just not doing the trick.

So, how do you get your own space and not get on your spouses nerves when you first retire and are home alot more?
Just grab your bike, wave, and say "Bye! I'm going for a bike ride around the neighborhood. I'll be back soon."

Then the next day, say "Bye! I'm going to run a few errands. I'll be back in an hour."

Then the next day, say "Bye! I'm meeting Bob and Jack at Starbucks for coffee. I'll be back in an hour or two."

Then the next day, say, "Bye! I'm going to go for a walk around the neighborhood, like we talked about. I won't be long."

Then the next day, say, "I'm closing the door to the man cave, so I can watch a WWII movie. I haven't seen it in years, so don't interrupt it, unless it's an emergency, okay? I'll come up when it's over."

Then come up after the movie and say, "What's for dinner?"

Then SHE can say, "I don't know. What did you make?"

Old 12-30-2015, 03:45 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,820,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
According to your thread of less than a week ago on the Relationship forum, regarding separate bedrooms and the man cave, your marriage has just "improved 100%". So now a week later you "get on each others nerves and see too much of each other". Maybe you need a whole separate house. If I were your wife I certainly wouldn't ant to spend time with someone who is "old tired and angry".
Come on don't confuse him with facts or point out his other posts. That was then and this is now. He needs current replies to every question he asks. That's why he does what he does lol

Old 12-31-2015, 06:41 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,093,175 times
Quote:
It's a Celebrity 200 (20 footer) w/a nice Mercruiser 5.7L I/O on a nice dual-wheel trailer. Had it since March '09. Have had to put on new manifolds and risers, new lower block/belts, alternator and installed Dual-Battery Switch for Starting and Deep Cell batteries. This Spring will get the deck replaced due to a few soft spots. Cuddy Cabin is a little too small for both of us to sleep in. Have never taken it out overnight and don't intend to. But, once "up on plane", it sure can go!

Our last boat was a 1989 16' Invader Bowrider w/a Volvo-Penta 4 cyclinder. Got that after we moved to Denver, CO./south metro. Done quite a bit of trout fishing in the No Wake area of a popular lake/reservoir south of Denver. Also, "beached" it a few times and relaxed on the lake beach.

Wife's mom/dad had a cottage on Zukey Lake in Michigan, when she was in high school. Got her boating experience from there.
My Uncle had a Bowrider in northeastern Indiana when I was a teen and I use to go out with him on local lake. Plus, spent some years in the U.S. Navy, on the water.

Thanks for your service. The Navy didn't want a high school drop out so I ended up in the army. No regrets though but I love the water.

I don't think I will have time for multiple boat purchases so I am looking at a Cobalt 243 new. I know it is a bit pricey but if you are gonna buy something might as well get something you really want. It will be a few years before we buy it anyway so I can put that into a future budget.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:00 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,382,577 times
You sound like you want to be married and have a single life at the same time. When married, knowing what your spouse is doing, where they are going, when they will be back..........is just part of marriage. Wife and I don't have a problem with any of that b/c the only time I go somewhere without her is when she is at work and then I call her and let her know where I am (errand I'm doing). It's the way our marriage is and the way we like it.
If your wife just left, without saying anything to you, how would you feel?

Quote:

Old 12-31-2015, 07:34 AM

237 posts, read 224,903 times
Quote:
That's just common courtesy. We live in dangerous times. Maybe she cares about your safety. I hope you would do the same for her.

Now if she's offering her (unwanted) judgements and opinions on where you're going and why, etc., that would definitely be annoying.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:22 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
You sound like you want to be married and have a single life at the same time. When married, knowing what your spouse is doing, where they are going, when they will be back..........is just part of marriage. Wife and I don't have a problem with any of that b/c the only time I go somewhere without her is when she is at work and then I call her and let her know where I am (errand I'm doing). It's the way our marriage is and the way we like it.
If your wife just left, without saying anything to you, how would you feel?
I have a relative that doesn't see her husband for days. He goes to the hunting lease and she doesn't know when to expect him back. I would not like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement