Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 09:03 PM

35,231 posts, read 31,579,544 times

Advertisements

Most of these complaints could be actively mitigated in your personal life. Find something else with camaraderie (church, charitable/civic cause, etc.)

It sounds to me like a lot of these people are not trying to actively fill in gaps left from their work lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 09:23 PM

888 posts, read 893,135 times
After just coming off a vacation in an area where we may have a winter home and then eventually permanently live, I had a little dose of what it might be like totally retired. It really made me think it through hard.

I'm someone who resists change but once the change occurs I'm very resilient. So I'm a retirement dodger but know once I cross the fence I'll be a happy camper. For me, actual retirement has its own clock and it may tick at a different pace than what I'd prefer.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:31 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,704,714 times
I think the biggest thing that would bother me would be not having enough money to do what I want to do. But then you could start your own business. Right now I am thinking of learning new languages. Somewhere I read that can keep your brain active. I want to travel to some other countries and want to be able to speak enough to know what I am doing when I go.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:05 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,198,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Sounds like a great life! I still don't understand the ones that just sit and refuse to try anything new.
I sometimes wonder if those people *never* branched out to try new things even when they were young because they lacked the time due to jobs, children, etc. I've played classical piano since I was 6, and in my 40s I took 8 years of guitar lessons. A year and a half ago I started classical violin lessons, at age 60, and I just finished learning both parts of the Bach Double Concerto. I was talking to a stranger about that a couple months ago and he said he was really surprised someone would take up a new instrument at my age. I'm really surprised that surprised him! Why wouldn't you take up a new hobby at that age?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:12 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,598,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I sometimes wonder if those people *never* branched out to try new things even when they were young because they lacked the time due to jobs, children, etc. I've played classical piano since I was 6, and in my 40s I took 8 years of guitar lessons. A year and a half ago I started classical violin lessons, at age 60, and I just finished learning both parts of the Bach Double Concerto. I was talking to a stranger about that a couple months ago and he said he was really surprised someone would take up a new instrument at my age. I'm really surprised that surprised him! Why wouldn't you take up a new hobby at that age?
Been a musician for 40 years. Flute and Sax. When I retired I took up the mandolin. New hobby!

Old 08-07-2016, 04:15 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,318,431 times
"Affording your new lifestyle" needs to include your new pastimes. If you can't afford to do anything, you might need to work longer.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:41 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,540,574 times
I'm only two years from retirement, in fact, my company offers a two year phased retirement program which I have already begun. I'm looking at my retirement as my next phase in life, not that this career is over, or that now every day is a vacation day, for me it's an opportunity to start something new. In this next phase I won't have to decide based on the financial level we needed when we were raising our family, or growing and competing within my career, it can be for entirely spiritual or altruistic reasons. As far as losing the socialization aspects of a job, I guess if you cloister yourself afterwards, my wife retired early a few years ago and still Facebooks friends from work, and gets together with them now and then. There's so many ways to begin new relationships and build new memories that don't involve work. I know I'm not there yet, but I think it's kind of the same question we faced when we were young, what do I want to be when I grow up? We have to face a new question, what do I want to be when I retire? It's worth thinking about. If as the article says, retirement gets boring, then who's fault is that? You can be bored at 10 years old and 100 years old, I guess.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:19 AM

6,369 posts, read 7,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
My goal was to be a permanent student. I love school.

I used my VA voc rehab first and then switched to the GI Bill. They opened a branch of Texas A&M on the southside of San Antonio and I took advantage of that. Unfortunately my benefits finally expired and I haven't gone back. I already had a degree and thought about teaching math, and might still do that.
Most colleges and universities give greatly discounted tuition rates to seniors. Best part of not going for any more degrees is that you can take a class on an audit basis or a credit/no-credit basis and dispense with the stress of having to study for examinations. We can just go to learn.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 08-07-2016 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-07-2016, 09:10 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,470,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
YES.
I'm planning to retire to the big mountains out West at 65. No plans to hike/climb/bungee jump. I just wanna see them every time I step outside. They never cease to thrill me.

I have an old-fashioned pension (and boy have I earned it, even as I type now almost late to leave for night shift). I should have more than enough money for a quiet life. No desire to travel, as most of my travel in recent years has been to... the Mountain West... so I figured, just move out there already. (Forgetting that I did so in another state in 1975 and returned East because of no jobs).

On to my night shift. Retirement on New Year's Day, 2018, if all goes as it currently is going. Good night, all.
The mountains - where I never thought I would live - are wonderful to look at.

Honestly? It's just a pivot - retirement, that is.

I've lived many lives - this will just be the next. Much easier for those of us who have taken risks. And I have taken risks since I left Wisconsin with $500 in my pocket and moved to California 40 years ago. No job prospects but a desire to live on my own. I succeeded and lived to take many more risks which I also survived.

We're moving - away from the mountains (we're done with snow) - and back to the ocean. Aside from building a house and re-establishing ourselves...... planning to do nothing for awhile is not a bad thing. You figure you work for 50 years you deserve down time.

I have music to invent - just bought a Roland - and there's a desire to work with rescue animals. We'll see what happens.

My dad, OTOH, retired at 63 after 30 years and did nothing but sit in his chair and read. And smoke when my mother wasn't looking. He died 17 years later. I''m not going to mimic him in any way shape or form.

Onward.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:34 AM

554 posts, read 748,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Been a musician for 40 years. Flute and Sax. When I retired I took up the mandolin. New hobby!
Same here, Mr5150 ... Been playing drums since I was 13 years old (approx. 60 years). Being of Anglo Scottish heritage, I mentioned to DW that I might want to take Highland Bagpipe lessons in retirement (less-than 300 days!). You should've seen the look I got!
But, I figure there might come opportunities to play with various Celtic folk groups, and of course, the occasional funeral or memorial service, IF I can get good-enough. And, I might even want to audition for a pipe-and-drum band.

Keep-on Playin', Y'all! We're looking forward to our retirement ... Lots of stuff we can try our hand at! ... TC ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement