Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:18 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times

Advertisements

^^^
If I might ask, where is "the home area" with the older-Centric activities? I am moving from north central Massachusetts to southwest Colorado and working like crazy until retirement (planning on Dec. 31, 2017).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 11:46 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
^^^

Speaking specifically about Knoxville, Tn. But I think the greater area would be the same.

I call it home area because I was born and raised near Asheville, NC and went to college in TN. My mother, sister and son/his family live here in Knoxville. I still visit with friends from high school in NC or college in TN so I have never let go of those home ties. Guess my heart has never really left.

The humidity and allergies in the TN valley get to me but the people are great and there is plenty to do at all age/fitness levels/interests.

I have only been through Colorado but have heard good things about it.

Good luck

Old 08-09-2016, 02:54 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
^^^
Thank you. I could never retire somewhere with more heat/humidity than East Coast summers! Hence, high mountain Colorado.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:11 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times
I think the people who are bored without jobs should continue working and support all the people who never get bored and hate having jobs. Then everyone would be happy.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:46 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I need just a few reasons above NOT to retire. Personally speaking and only for me, the thought of even waking up the first Monday morning in my life that I never have to go to work again scares the you know what out of me. My main reasons and fears are the social isolation and not being mentally pushed.

I entertained and welcomed the thought of retirement in my 20's, but as I am in my early 50's now, my perspective have changed since then. They will have to drag me away from work and the "9-5" kicking and screaming. I will "retire" from my current job when the time comes and collect my pension, but I will simply start applying for other work when the time comes, part time. Maybe I will start my own business..At the same time, I would like to learn some new skills, activities and enjoy life a bit more..But to stop working altogether and be home everyday all day, no way.

I'm very aware and cognizant that most people enjoy retirement and wouldn't dream of either remaining or going back to the daily grind. I respect that, but it's not for me.

I wish I had your attitude. I might be happier about 'having' to work. I would love to be able to be home every day, if that's what I wanted to do, or be out and about if that's what I wanted to do. As it is I will be living by someone else's schedule for me for the rest of my life. Sometimes that bugs me but I accepted it a long time ago. What you want for YOU is perfect...for you. But, when you do retire, don't forget to go for it, embrace life and just do whatever it is you want to do. Stay home all day or go to work. It's all your choice...lucky you!

I think I am already "socially isolated". Most of the people I know at work are young people, raising families and, while many of them are friends outside of work, I am "too old" for them. We get along great at work though. Nobody comes by my house, nobody calls so my non working hours are totally alone and it's okay. I stay busy and it's been this way for so long I'm used to it and like it. I did try being friends with a few older women, closer to my own age and mostly widowed, but they weren't interested in forming new friendships either. So we get along, and are 'friends' at work, but that's it.

Mentally pushed...I think I am sometimes mentally lazy. lol Actually I am learning new things every day, researching really interesting topics and really aware of many things I wasn't years ago. All because of the internet. One thing leads to another and I can get lost for hours. The people in these forums have led me on some good 'research trips' via my computer. I watch very little TV and read as often as I can make myself sit still long enough. I don't feel I'm lacking but who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement