Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 01:41 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,126,823 times

Advertisements

This is not my experience at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 02:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,794,991 times
I was a stress-junky in my professional life. Working long, hectic hours, always feeling stressed out. But I was the go-to person at work and I liked being in that role. You can do all the volunteering and gardening you want, and you will never have the intensity of a highly competitive work environment where everyone is really good at what they do.

That is what I miss. Or did miss. I have moved on to other things. Now I get my stress kicks from surfing large winter waves in Hawaii.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,540,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I was a stress-junky in my professional life. Working long, hectic hours, always feeling stressed out. But I was the go-to person at work and I liked being in that role. You can do all the volunteering and gardening you want, and you will never have the intensity of a highly competitive work environment where everyone is really good at what they do.

That is what I miss. Or did miss. I have moved on to other things. Now I get my stress kicks from surfing large winter waves in Hawaii.
In my last job I was the go-to person at work too. This was okay by me for a long while but as time went by I began to dislike it more and more because the people who were going to me were becoming more and more stupid. They were younger, lazier and wanted me to do the work for them. I got tired of being expected to do everyone's job for them. That's one of the reasons I was happy to leave work. So many demands.

As you point out, you can trade one stress for another if you like but the good part is you are the one who gets to make the choice.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:09 PM

885 posts, read 1,173,106 times
Yep, been "retired"/ not working for 11 yrs. (only collecting SS for about 1 yr- we have farm and I was the farmwife taking care of animals, canning, and "homesteading").

I am so bored, never see anyone or do anything (because Hubbie and friends are working), and feel like my brain's turning to mush.

Sent out resumes and will keep doing it until I find a job. Never in my wildest dreams would I think I'd say this but- I miss working and I liked the feel that I can do something (I had a professional job, not a Mcjob). So at 63 I'm- hopefully- going back.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,540,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Yep, been "retired"/ not working for 11 yrs. (only collecting SS for about 1 yr- we have farm and I was the farmwife taking care of animals, canning, and "homesteading").

I am so bored, never see anyone or do anything (because Hubbie and friends are working), and feel like my brain's turning to mush.

Sent out resumes and will keep doing it until I find a job. Never in my wildest dreams would I think I'd say this but- I miss working and I liked the feel that I can do something (I had a professional job, not a Mcjob). So at 63 I'm- hopefully- going back.
Well, it's not just "Mcjobs" that become boring. Even the most professional of jobs can do that. I suggest that while you are sitting around waiting for those resumes to bring you the results you want, you find something to keep your brain busy.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:59 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,832,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
interesting study and article on retirement - supposedly the joy of retirement can wane within 10 months.

I'm not condoning or agreeing - just posting the findings in case anyone cares to read or discuss

I know many people in this Retirement Forum on City-Data Forums will disagree strongly with the factors listed. I disagree too - I love retirement!!

The factors cited are good to be aware of for potential retirees, and those facing boredom.

Joy of retirement wears off after just TEN MONTHS as bickering and daytime TV take their toll | Daily Mail Online

TOP 20 REASONS RETIREMENT BECOMES A BORE.
Worked beside a country gal who was 67 (Still could outwork me) and she said "Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be" she said. She ahd been retired for 3 years and hated it as her husband wad also retired, but was way busier than her and so...she went back to work!

I plan to go and work for the humane society and maybe help meals on wheels...in 5 years.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:16 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,969,867 times
I knew all these things and more were potential pitfalls of retirement, but I retired anyhow, because, we're sick of living here, we wanted to travel, my wife is now recovered from chemo, so now is a good time. I can always return to my previous employment in some capacity, if I choose, on a semi part time or part time basis. But I have plans. Maybe not enough to fill up every day, but that's OK.

I want to spend more time studying the scriptures and theology.
Now I can get in my bike ride and exercise more often.
Once we move into the RV, if we get bored, we can pick up and move someplace else. This also will allow us to do some of the things we've been wanting to do and visit.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:11 AM

784 posts, read 738,012 times
If all you are doing is retiring away FROM something, you will have problems. If you are restring TO something, that is what you need to do.

Just over a month in, and no regrets yet.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:33 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,478,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Retire but don't stop living. Find a network marketing company and join. You can travel to events or conventions and be around many young and motivated people. Not to mention the travel maybe tax deductible so check with your tax professional.

Today the working world isn't so much Like yesterday. Forget retirement live until the body goes out or until the lights go out. I may stop actively stop working one day but I will never retire. Oh yes with many network marketing companies they offer incentive trips around the world.

Currently I'm competing for two sales incentive trips with two separate companies. With one company it's Hawaii and with the other company it's Atlantis in the Bahamas. Forget retirement. Work and live now.

What sense does it make to work 40 plus years of your life hoping you have enough money to live a decent life after 60 to have your health go out and not be able to live out your final season. For most a 401K is a defined contribution plan. Most people have no idea how much they will have at a later date. Pensions for the most part are no more and then for those that have them there are potential funding issues.

Now the real hammer. Debt. It keeps increasing and we have all heard be in a lower tax bracket at retirement. All that money sitting in retirement accounts being tax deferred. Just don't be surprised of tax hikes in the coming years.

So in closing. Live.. Don't sit back and stop working. Get in network marketing, work when you want, and live the best you can. To join network marketing the entry fee is relatively low depending on the company and you can just walk away when you want.
Find a pyramid scheme and lose all your friends, make lots of enemies.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:07 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,346,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I do hope to become more involved in my new community than I am in my current place. I love my house, and the town is quite pleasant, but I have no place in the community except for paying ever-rising R.E. taxes. It's really a place for people who are from here/raised kids here/moved here to raise kids. I have made a few half-hearted stabs at being more involved and just haven't found it to be happeni...
This fits my situation as well. I am happily retired but people in my town and neighborhood in central Florida are mostly family raising at this point in their lives. I Have enrolled in the community college taking random courses which interest me and that has saved my sanity.

As I visit my son back in the home area I marvel how easy it is to strike up a conversation and that the the older centric Activities are more available here.

But as to retirement itself I have no complaints and am happily enjoying the freedom it brings. It has been three years and I don't regret the decision to retire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement