Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 09:28 AM

549 posts, read 723,250 times

Advertisements

I'd have to also throw the Philippines into the mix. Out in the prvinces on a lonely little beach town, one can save a ton of money. The US has it's only VA office in Manila and healthcare is often through St Lukes Hospital.

The central and northern areas of the country are generally safe, English is spoken and healthcare can be had for cheap. Another advantage of it is that thee are cheap flights to many Asian destinations.

I believe you can also receive SSI or SSDI outside the US but the Medicare portion will stop after your first 30 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
At one time I also considered Cuenca, Ecuador as I could live like a queen on my pension. However I am a 62 year old widow so I would be alone in a strange land so I obviously worry about my safety and what happens with the politics there. Is it safe for a woman alone? How do they handle natural disasters like earthquakes & mudslides?

Plus my whole family is here in Florida now - maybe at one time when my husband was still alive we would have made the move when the kids were still younger without the ties they have now.
The Philippines is generally safe. There are a lot of US retirees over there but many of them have gone looking for love (hired or not). However there are a few places that I would consider if I were a 62 year old woman. They are SBMA (former navy base) Iloilo and Baguio, in my opinion they are all safe to be a single woman. Baguio is cool and wet so it's last on my list.

As far as politics, it's much like Mexico where the only ones that pay attention to it are the wealthy elite, politicians or hired weekend demonstrators.

When it comes to natural disasters lke the ones you've mentioned the people just go on with life as the majority can and will find a way to regroup, recover and/or relocate. Gov't reaction to any type of "calamity" as they call it is slow. Their action is probably on par with Mexico.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:42 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
How about finding a small place near to or just north of Okeechobee or Sebring? You could sell the other one in Florida and most likely have a small financial burden with a place there? It would give you a place stateside to retreat to (albeit a small place). You Could also do seasonal rentals and pay for the maintenance and upkeep.

Pretty safe and not far from all of the major cities in S Fla.

Just trying to get outside the box.

It's not a financial burden for us.

We LIKE having two homes, one outside the US.

We are lucky to live in two waterfront towns, one in Gulfport FL
Visit Gulfport Florida | Gulfport

and one in Ajijic Mexico.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...05-Ajijic.html

No, we do not need to nor do we desire to, rent out either home when they are vacant (though we offer them for free to friends and family).

Both of our homes are one block from large bodies of water. We can walk to over a dozen non-chain eateries from either home, nightly. Perfectly safe for us at night in either place.

Life is good.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
...Life is good.
OK, I thought you lived near Sarasota. Life is indeed good, even when it's bad.

Cheers

Old 04-02-2017, 11:31 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
We like the challenge of living outside the US....I think it keeps us young, having to learn some Spanglish, local customs, etc.
Some people do well outside of the US, and others do not. I have spent 7+ years living in Asia, Caribbean and Europe. Some with relatives/friends, some with the Military and some as an employee. I consider going back outside of the US on occasion, but we just have too much here to make that change, at least now.

I would really like to see all of Mexico at our own pace... Perhaps down the road.

Quote:
Here's a link to the Top 2017 picks by International Living. And yes I realize these lists are rather vague but I consider them Food For Thought.

https://internationalliving.com/the-...ces-to-retire/
I have been reading those lists for 30+ years. They are always of interest to me, they change every year because of the parameters applied to what is "good". If I had the money, I would have moved to Number One country, each year for the past 30 years.

The United States is my country. Everyone should get a chance to not only see their own country, but others as well...

Old 04-02-2017, 12:30 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I budget $1,945

Without my morgtage and insurance on the airstream this would be below $1,500 already.

I typically have $100-$300 remaining at the end of the month.

Eat steak 1x/week
2 vehicles on insurance
Date
Many other things I could cut.
(It's already ~ half my income, so I don't watch it closely.)
Right here in the US.

(On 80 acres, 2k sqft house) In the ozarks.
2 year round waterfalls on my property
Taxes are $200/year.... before homestead exemption (which is higher) etc.

Not knocking living elsewhere, just addressing the "can't"

OK, but "can't" do it beachfront!

Old 04-02-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
At one time I also considered Cuenca, Ecuador as I could live like a queen on my pension. However I am a 62 year old widow so I would be alone in a strange land so I obviously worry about my safety and what happens with the politics there. Is it safe for a woman alone? How do they handle natural disasters like earthquakes & mudslides?

Plus my whole family is here in Florida now - maybe at one time when my husband was still alive we would have made the move when the kids were still younger without the ties they have now.

We just returned from Cuenca and there is a very vibrant ex-pat community there. VERY friendly with tons of events and culture. Historic churches and buildings. Free symphonies and so forth. And its like Spring all year, very green and lush, 4 rivers with parks alongside. I think you'd do fine making friends there. That's the #1 spot for ex-pats in Ecuador. You can get anything there plus top-notch health care.

We'd be there if we didn't love the beach so much. The earthquake was not an issue there, but it wreaked much havoc here. Our complex is just finishing repairs. We were lucky to have insurance which is unusual here. The nearby city is still in tatters. Very sad. They have heavy equipment for landslides, etc.

It's true, the estimate is that 50% of expats don't make it and return "home". We've made good friends here at our condo complex and the neighboring ones.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:53 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,239 times
My happiest times when I was younger were spent living overseas, especially in Latin America. So I do want to move overseas, and not to save money. And I don't want to live in an expat enclave.
Now that both my parents are gone and I'm 71 I'm not sure I can still do it. But I'm thinking hard about it.
I also considered Spain and maybe still am. Argentina is also a possibility. And now I am thinking more about Mexico, thanks to Dothetwist.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
I'd have to also throw the Philippines into the mix. Out in the prvinces on a lonely little beach town, one can save a ton of money. The US has it's only VA office in Manila and healthcare is often through St Lukes Hospital.

The central and northern areas of the country are generally safe, English is spoken and healthcare can be had for cheap. Another advantage of it is that thee are cheap flights to many Asian destinations.

I believe you can also receive SSI or SSDI outside the US but the Medicare portion will stop after your first 30 days.

Yes, we are getting SS here but Medicare will not cover you at all outside the U.S.

My Filipino friend here says crime is terrible back in her country....

Old 04-02-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, we are getting SS here but Medicare will not cover you at all outside the U.S.

My Filipino friend here says crime is terrible back in her country....
Hmmm, I spent almost a year there over the course of 3 back in the early 90's. One week a month for 3.5 years.

Since then I have spent at least a month or two every year since 2005. We most often travel around north Luzon and have never had a problem besides our drunk cousin wanting to fight me. Out of all the time I've spent there, I'd say nearly 75% of it has been in the little sleepy beach towns.

*Many of those little sleepy beach towns are very poor, in fact that's the immediate area that the anti-government revolution's armed wing (NPA/Maoist) was founded in 1969. The founders urged the poor, sometimes forcefully to participate in the revolution. It's place of founding (Brgy Dulacac, Alaminos) is only 30 minutes from our homebase. Ive drank and had plenty of cookouts with them or their family members and never ever felt unsafe or in harms way. In fact, it's probably the most hospitable country I've ever visited rivaling the kindness of Nicaragua.

I'd like to know where she's from. It is a little concerning that a native (if she is) thinks crime is terrible. I should point out that by native I meant born and raised there or born where you are at because my non-native children are somewhat naive about the realities of life in the birthplace of their mother. No offense intended.

Last edited by Who Dat; 04-02-2017 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement