Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:06 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This thread has me perplexed.

Why are so many folks so defensive about those choosing not to retire in the US ... to the point of hinting that ex-pats are being unpatriotic for retiring in another country??? Let's face it: the majority - the vast majority - have reasons for staying in the US (usually it has to do with family).
Yep, it never fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Gonna be a train ride to Madrid or Barcelona for USA flights.
No it won't. Alicante has a large airport and it is an easy one-stop fight to the U.S.

Now, admittedly, depending on the airline, that stop could be Madrid, but that's still easier and simpler than taking a train to avoid a connecting flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 5,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
Yup, bought a house in Georgia three years ago on one acre lot. It was built in 2008 during the boom. Paid cash and taxes are less than $500 a year, cheaper after 62. Retirement is going to be grand. Not the beach but mountains hold their charm.
not stealing the post but where in Georgia?

Old 04-10-2017, 05:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
... Alicante has a large airport and it is an easy one-stop fight to the U.S.
Yes, you are so right!

NYC and Miami have RT rates under or near $500 (MAD and BCN are about $50 - $100 cheaper, but not worth saving that unless either is also a destination)
NYC is FAR faster (9 hrs vs 20+ hrs from Miami)

Sounds like a good plan for next winter

I hope these airfare and currency rates endure.

Been a NICE ride (Or generation is very fortunate)

Old 04-10-2017, 06:03 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman56 View Post
not stealing the post but where in Georgia?
The mountainous part of Georgia is pretty much north of Atlanta. There is some pretty country up there, probably away from major cities and away from the Interstates (I-75 and I-85) you would find the lowest prices.

It does rain a lot there though. Occasional snow in the winter.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:45 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The mountainous part of Georgia is pretty much north of Atlanta. There is some pretty country up there, probably away from major cities and away from the Interstates (I-75 and I-85) you would find the lowest prices.

It does rain a lot there though. Occasional snow in the winter.
My sister bought her house there - about 20 years ago - an hour and a half north of Atlanta.

In the 20 years since - Atlanta has moved out to where she is.

I don't think they have plans to move but it's clear it's not the quiet little burg in the mountains when they first bought.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:47 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, you are so right!

NYC and Miami have RT rates under or near $500 (MAD and BCN are about $50 - $100 cheaper, but not worth saving that unless either is also a destination)
NYC is FAR faster (9 hrs vs 20+ hrs from Miami)
Don't know how you're coming up with 20+ hours. I just checked a booking for September and it's only 11 hours and 10 minutes from MIA-ALC (Iberia 6124/8392) and only 11hrs, 40min for the return on Iberia 8391/6123. Total price is $462.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:30 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Spain & Portugal are my current international infatuations, I spent some time in Lisbon last year & really enjoyed it plus it was very reasonable for costs. Even though I have visited about 30 or so countries somehow I never made it to Spain. There is some talk that with Brexit that a larger number of Brits may be leaving Spain in the near future than typical, but I continue to believe some accommodation will be made for them because of their economic impact on the south of Spain. But there may be opportunity for a buyer's/renter's market there soon. Plus the Euro/Dollar is pretty close to parity now making trips there more economical for yanks.

A friend of mine has made an annual habit to walk the Camino de Santiago each spring/summer since retirement. He spends about 3 months & volunteers 1 of those months in a monastery that puts up walkers for the night, a nice way to get exercise & a new perspective on life. Quite a number of my European relatives have done the Camino as well for various lengths of time as they have gotten older or retired, I had never heard of it until a few years ago.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Don't know how you're coming up with 20+ hours. I just checked a booking for September and it's only 11 hours and 10 minutes from MIA-ALC (Iberia 6124/8392) and only 11hrs, 40min for the return on Iberia 8391/6123. Total price is $462.
OK ! I didn't check Sept! Just the least expensive flights in a certain month.

Wonderful, get on and GO

Old 04-11-2017, 02:01 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
My sister bought her house there - about 20 years ago - an hour and a half north of Atlanta.

In the 20 years since - Atlanta has moved out to where she is.

I don't think they have plans to move but it's clear it's not the quiet little burg in the mountains when they first bought.
I am talking about say Dahlonega. I have not been there for a while but I don't think Atlanta has sprawled that far yet. The Atlanta sprawl is mostly along I-85 and I-75, to the north anyway, so if you get away from them, you get a more rural setting. The North Georgia mountains are, as I said before, a very rainy place, so if you don't want that, don't go there.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:08 AM

70 posts, read 432,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Guadalajara is home to most of Mexico's medical schools and has top notch hospitals. Lake Chapala is less than an hour from there. The upper class of Guadalajara has for centuries, owned Lake houses for weekends and vacations. Over the past 10 years (we first moved to Ajijic in 2008), doctors in Guad have opened part-time office at the Lake, so they can extend their family's weekends/vacations. Some have semi-retired to the Lake and moved their offices there full-time.

My DH went to a Cardio in Guad in 2009; that Cardio now has an office at the Lake.

My orthopedic surgeon trained at the famed Cleveland Clinic and speaks perfect English, as do most doctors in much of Mexico (many have had some training in the US...often their advanced training). His main office is in Guad, but I saw him only at the Lake where he has office hours (within another doctor's complex) on Thurs. and Fri.

Two friends had surgeries in Guad hospitals and described them as Country Clubs as far as food, service and amenities. All had wonderful care. However, the nursing staff is likely to speak Spanglish and other support staff won't speak much English if any.

At the Lake, my family doctor is two blocks away, and he makes house calls! An office visit is 150 pesos and a house call is 200 pesos.

Politics is NOT such an encompassing sport in MX as it is in the US. Pretty much no one pays attention to National politics in MX, neither ours nor theirs. The local buzz is almost always about soccer games.
It sounds like you have your retirement figured out really well. I'm not there yet, but I'm in Arizona and I'm learning Spanish.
I'd like to ask you, is there anyway someone in Southern Arizona can get medical care in Mexico? I'm not at Medicare age yet and due to the changes in health care laws I might loose my health insurance. NOT going to talk about that. lol. But my fix is I'm trying to figure out how to find medical care in Mexico. I live near Tucson so how would I start to go about doing that. Any advice???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement