Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:26 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times

Advertisements

Still working so I need to be presentable. And yes, thank God, I do look younger due to a fat face and I am overweight. We'll see how that goes.

However, my sweet mom was one of those ladies whose purse matched her shoes and outfit. Always looked lovely even as she aged.

The whole family was not really heavy; some weight issues here and there but my mom made food from stratch and we never ate fast food or frozen dinners.

So, I've struggled for about 10 years now with the weight - highest I ever got was 193. I'm now 172 and need to be around 135. When I got married, I was 108 (33 years ago). I dealt with any stress by eating the wrong things. My husband is a former Weight Watchers person who seriously still follows the plan. He could lose 5 pounds but he is tall (6'3") and leaves 1/2 on his plate every time. He can even eat a Klondike bar and only eats half while I would eat 3 whole ones!

I broke my foot and ankle in February 2017. Stupid. This is supposed to be renovation year (2 homes we own) plus on ourselves. Just getting everyone really organized and healthy. We have 2 events coming up and my goal was to be at least 150. Not making it because I started July 2, 2017 when I was able to start walking again. I have now lost 10 pounds and I'm really hoping to lose another 10 by the 17th of August.

I know that's fast but I'm tired and embarrassed by the way I looked with the foot, the clothes I had to wear during the time (cast, brace) and I felt I could not even go anywhere other than home or work. Finally by July 2nd, I had enough. Plus on June 30th (night), I got sick and couldn't sleep. It was just from eating bad food.

I was normal weight for a long time; then in the early 2000's, I did gain weight. My daughter really helped me; we joined a gym and I got back down. I just returned to eating the wrong foods after a period of time.

My side of the family can't believe the weight gain and with the foot, I have kept my distance a bit. When I see them, I want to be wearing nice clothes and feel healthy. It does matter to me actually.

Since I really started on this, I have not cheated. I am only writing down the positives - better sleep, no more getting sick at night, more focused, feeling better. Do I feel discouraged some days? Sure. I now know how to say NO to a Klondike. Will I have one again someday? Sure - but in moderation.

My husband is also helping me which he was not so good about in the past. Now, I feel he does care about how I look and feel and that helps.

Never worn much makeup but that's just because I'm blind in one eye and can't really see that side. I have limited vision in the "good" eye. But, I like makeup.

I get highlights in my hair. I don't think any gray yet but not going that way. My dad was 72 when he passed away and his hair was still dark but he never used shampoo - only a bar of soap. Hopefully, I go with that side of the family.

Still, I feel blessed not to be a fast food eater or frozen dinners either. I worry about when I hear about 55 plus communities and people just going to Wendy's and places like that, I will not fit in.

I'm also a fan of women doing whatever THEY feel good about doing - it's just I'm always way behind everyone else. Latecomer to the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 12:26 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
My DW has maintained her figure throughout her life. Currently over 70 and with a BMI of 17.5 she has and maintains a perfect figure . She eats what she wants, just doesn't find food enticing or tempting. Lucky that way!

I'm happy for both of you, but "maintaining" has a different meaning for the purpose of this thread. If she can eat "what she wants" she is lucky indeed. I am enticed and tempted myself.

Lodestar, can't rep you again. but you made me laugh out loud

Old 07-29-2017, 01:18 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Hi! I'm Jane Doe from the Midwest.

(I always secretly suspected this is what my New York sisters thought of me.)
Don't worry, they don't think about you, it's all about them.
<----Midwesterner that lived in NY and was naive enough to think what was inside mattered more. To be fair, this type exists everywhere: they migrate.

I haven't given up since retiring, the opposite really. There's more time to focus on my overall well-being and what makes me content.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-29-2017 at 01:47 PM..

Old 07-29-2017, 02:05 PM

302 posts, read 182,692 times
My motivation to lose weight was to look decent at my son's wedding. I lost 10 lbs in 6 months and gained it all back a month after the wedding. I'm age 67 and would feel much better about myself if I could lose 20 lbs. It seems to be one thing in my life that I could control but I can't. I love carbs too much and I find that eating is comforting. Like many other women my age I have this NFL linebacker gut and I can't get rid of it.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:39 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,810,075 times
Still on a journey !

Beautiful smiles, hugs, listening ears, good conversations, are just some the blessings I so enjoy about people !

Old 07-29-2017, 04:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
I wonder if the question should be "ideal" weight instead of "attractive" weight. Attractive to whom? Attractive can mean different things to different people.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
My DW has maintained her figure throughout her life. Currently over 70 and with a BMI of 17.5 she has and maintains a perfect figure . She eats what she wants, just doesn't find food enticing or tempting. Lucky that way!
Livestrong.com:
Body mass index, or BMI, measures the relationship between height and weight. It's a way to evaluate whether a person is of normal weight, overweight or underweight. Healthy adults usually fall between 18.5 and 24.9 on the BMI chart. A BMI below 18.5 signals a problem may exist, while a BMI below 17.5 -- especially in adults -- is usually present in people suffering from anorexia nervosa. Some doctors may show concern if BMI falls below 20, especially if other disordered eating symptoms are present.

Personally I think that a few pounds is better once you hit a certain age...a bit of a buffer against illness.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:23 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I think because my mother, who is 82, has always kept herself up, my sister and I have done so also. Even in her early 60's, my mom could turn heads when she walked into a room. I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds but I go to the gym, dress well, wear make-up when I leave the house & keep my hair in a stylish cut that doesn't scream 62 year old woman. I am never going to wear matronly clothing and I hate capris on a short woman and even living in very hot and humid Florida I will never wear them outside of my house. I still take pride in my appearance and I find it a little sad when people just give up because they retired.

I would not even go to the store without at least mascara and lipstick. And if you ever see me wearing crocs, please shoot me. In my opinion they are the ugliest shoes ever created and they just scream "I've given up". Ditto for walking around without your dentures or with missing teeth. I could never do it but I am from NYC and many of us just seem to be a little more stylish than Jane Doe from the Midwest. No insult intended, it's just the way it is, just like our different accents.

Some women just don't want to make that extra effort after a certain age, especially if they weren't that attractive to begin with (OP - I'm not saying you are unattractive), it's just something I've heard some woman say.

Diabetes runs in both sides of my family so I must concern myself with keeping my weight down so I don't wind up like my dad who died from diabetes complications.
More stylish?? Really? I can think of some other descriptive words...... but I'll keep them to myself.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:28 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
Well, not retired yet, (100 more work days) but no flippin' way. I just lost 30 lbs and feel better than ever. I wear nice clothes, makeup, even when at home. I typically wear shorts/tees/flip flops but I wear make-up and jewelry.

At 61 weighing in at 159 lbs at 5'8", I think that is pretty good. Size 8-10. No way I want to pork out and get fat again....had obesity issues since I think birth, so I have to stay on it. I moved back to Texas in 2015 and ate all the food I didn't get when in WA state. I guess you could say I lost my "enchilada weight".....

Mobilty is a valid issue for anyone over 60. Extra weight just adds to your difficulties.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:13 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,353,068 times
When i got into my 40s, i realized that i was fine just the way i was - so i stopped "dieting." I'm overweight. People in my family are overweight; we have rounded bodies and thick, muscular legs. Big boobs and butts. People don't realize that so much is genetics.

I was tired of starving myself, and wasting money on plans and schemes, and feeling bad. I actually really just started loving myself as i was. I don't feel it's giving up trying at all, i feel like it's empowering and freeing.

Now i eat what i want - usually healthy, i'm a pescetarian - but i also eat ice cream and pizza sometimes - i try to walk when i can, i retired early with bad knees (at 48), was a postal worker for years. I stop the minute i'm full, even if it's mid-bite.

I don't wear as much makeup but it's because i like feeling more natural. I've actually lost weight from stopping the dieting and loving myself. I highly recommend it. Stop wasting money on the diet industry - if they worked, they wouldnt need so many!!

PS. The way you look on the outside - beautiful or not - will never cover up the person inside. I can always see thru

Last edited by Jellybean50; 07-29-2017 at 09:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement