Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 01:07 AM

104 posts, read 96,010 times

Advertisements

At 51 I have been about 100 pounds and 5' 4' all my life until 44 got married got up to 125, then to 135-137 and holding. Loss Spouse back down to 130-135 approx. At 51 I wear no makeup and use Frownes for the forehead 11's. I wear no jewelry and wear matronly skirts, dresses, and jackets. I get compliments from some and strange looks from others. If they start to fund my clothing and gym membership then i will change to suit them, but i am comfortable and as stylish as possible. I refuse to go down without a fight. Spouse, mother, father, all died of diabetic complications and overweight, smoking. Now my brother has it. I am healthy and walk weekly, looking to get a bike. I eat as much as possible gmo-free, kale smoothies and green juicing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 09:11 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
I never maintained or cared about my weight or appearance in terms of ''attractiveness''. I was more concerned about feeling and being healthy and fit. I have never worn make-up and always dressed for comfort and utility with clean, colorful appropriate clothing, clean styled hair, and proper hygiene whether out in public or at home.
When I was working I maintained a consistent weight and amount of body fat. I was active, but no athelete except for walking and bicycling daily. Dogs got and get me out the door if nothing else!
This last year my energy level has dropped and my body fat has increased as I am now not working out of the house and have no yard work in apartment life. I felt really strong and fit when I was doing flower delivery a year ago. No jobs now, or haven't found one yet anyway. I miss that. It got me out among people and gave me a full body workout.
I am still pretty active tho, get good sleep, try to eat a balanced diet, and do a lot of walking, but I feel like a slug most days. This said, I eat too many carbs and need to get totally off sugar, which I've truly become addicted to as comfort food or entertainment or whatever.
I am working on that and I am almost there. I've cut out pop and check labels to eliminate high fructose corn syrup and processed flours and meats from my diet. Proteins, veggies, fruits, whole grains and lots of water are my stables for the most part. But I backslide on ice cream and chocolate. A lot!
And now I spend too much time napping, staying up late, cheating on the sugar, and not getting my butt out of the recliner on rainy or hot humid days. I've kind of become lazy and too ''laid back'' for my own good.
Almost a ''I'm retired now, so I can be as lazy as I want'' kind of thing. Not good. Time to get my act together because my shorts are getting tight and my belly is out further than it ever has been.
I need to get an exercise/activity plan and stick to it and get out of the recliner and out on the bike trail and the walking path. Yep.
BTW, I am 62, 5'4'', ad wear women's size 18-20 and have for years. My recent blubber gain is abdominal pooch out, so I am thinking too much carb and not enough exercise to combat stress/cortisol issues. The stress has lessened a lot, so hoping to get rid of the tubby tummy.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 07-30-2017 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 09:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
... how do YOU stay motivated to be as attractive as you can be?
Truthfully.. I do not like when people see me with 10 extra pounds (that only happened once!**)
and then gossip among themselves...
'Have you seen Miss H lately?'...
'Yeah, she really has put on weight!"
I hate that crap...they are not true friends, btw.
That keeps me looking great...plus I love clothes. There's nothing like a pair of jeans that
fit perfectly with a shirt tucked in and a flat tummy...and nothing more uncomfortable if you have to unbutton them while driving or you wear long shirts to hide your butt, geeze!

So my ans is other people and their petty talk...and I'm glad I care because otherwise
I'd be another fat American...which is what other countries call us.

**(Bad sprained ankle caused a weight gain once at 58)

Old 07-30-2017, 10:14 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,381 times
After replacing soda, salty snacks, white bread and ice cream with less calorie laden choices, I dropped about twenty pounds. It really was that easy for me, and I'm glad. I still have about ten pounds to go. After fifty, no matter how much walking or other exercise, the extra weight remained, thus the dietary changes.

As I'm still working part time, I cannot let myself go cosmetically. I keep one old pair of jeans that have no stretch, (remember those?), and they are my barometer regarding weight.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Some of us who think we are too fat may actually be at a healthy weight for our age. This calculator is adjusted for age and gender:

Calculate your BMI, correctly rated according to age and sex

According to the calculator, I am just on the edge of needing to lose weight but am healthy as I am. My own feeling is that I need to lose 20 lbs. But I realize it may never happen. Trying to lose weight over 50, especially for a short woman (I'm less than 5' 2"), is like chipping cement. So I'll be OK with myself if I stay as I am, and I exercise regularly, so I think I look good despite being slightly zaftig.

Thank you for posting this.

I decided to take this test. I have been judging myself pretty hard and thought I would get something much worse than I actually got.

It seems they are factoring in things (like age) and changed some of the words used to describe people.

Now if I can just get my doctor to read my results and agree they are correct.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:27 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,497,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Some of us who think we are too fat may actually be at a healthy weight for our age. This calculator is adjusted for age and gender:

Calculate your BMI, correctly rated according to age and sex

According to the calculator, I am just on the edge of needing to lose weight but am healthy as I am. My own feeling is that I need to lose 20 lbs. But I realize it may never happen. Trying to lose weight over 50, especially for a short woman (I'm less than 5' 2"), is like chipping cement. So I'll be OK with myself if I stay as I am, and I exercise regularly, so I think I look good despite being slightly zaftig.
What's SBMI? I'm glad to see that underweight is marked as unhealthy on this chart too.

BMI = 21
Your body mass index (BMI) is calculated as exactly 20.9 kilograms per square meter.
Health aspects
Your weight is at a level that, in our view, should be good for your health. By classification of the WHO, you are "normalweight".The label "ideal" has often been applied to this. Whether it is ideal for your health, or not, depends on many factors. Fit people may be slim, but smokers or persons who have lost weight due to poor health, may also be slim.

SBMI = 32/70
This assessment is based on the newly developed Smart Body Mass Index. Its ideal range is between 30/70 and 39/70.
Your Smart Body Mass Index (SBMI) is calculated as 32/70 or "32 points out of 70".

Weight stability
Your weight level is best if it remains stable.

Weight management?
This is no issue for you, luckily. But you may want to consider some suggestions that are well-advised, not only for weight reasons.

Nutrition
Eat a variety of foods that you like, optimally including five servings of fruit and/or vegetables a day. Avoid eating too sweet, too fat and too much.

Physical activity
Do physical exercise at least for half an hour daily at moderate to vigorous intensity. Walking or cycling may be better for your joints than jogging.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:02 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Thank you for posting this.

I decided to take this test. I have been judging myself pretty hard and thought I would get something much worse than I actually got.

It seems they are factoring in things (like age) and changed some of the words used to describe people.

Now if I can just get my doctor to read my results and agree they are correct.
If your weight is not affecting your health, your doctor doesnt have any reason to ask you to lose weight. Read the book "Health At Every Size," by Linda Bacon, PhD. It's empowering and has SO much great information.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:14 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
I put that book on my Amazon wish list.
Ironic that her last name is ''Bacon''. LOL

Old 07-30-2017, 02:15 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,771 times
I am 55 a sz 5 and plan to keep it that way . I have changed my make up but still wear it when I go out but not around the house . I always had kind of oily skin so no wrinkles and blessed with deep set eyes and high cheekbones . i now wear BB cream instead of foundation . Its really light sheer skin tone evener , some kind of gloss and liner / mascara . Sometimes shadow at night .

I cannot eat carbs or high fructose corn syrup/soda and I do still work and my job requires I maintain a certain weight , but I'll continue this after I stop . I think what I do not like is even though I am very slender ,my body is changing - with or without me - it has nothing to do with weight . I am at that stage where I look better in my very bohemian wardrobe and not jeans

I'll probably always color my hair as well , it is long, curly and I do not do anything but color it and wash / condition it every other day , nothing else . Like another poster here I too am from South Texas and I know what they mean . Once you see that, I dont care where you live after that, you do not want to be that

Old 07-30-2017, 07:19 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,831 times
I lost around 35 lbs after my move to the Southwest. I discovered a diet supposedly good for the treatment of IBS (another not-so-nice symptom of fibromyalgia) and tried it. That helped plus I walked my dog a great deal to become familiar with my new neighborhood. Then I found out I have an intolerance to several foods I once ate a lot of---so cutting those out of my diet also contributed to a drop in pounds.

Forward to current times. I've been here 7 years, my dog is older and can't walk far, I'm older and have a bad knee, ankle and hip---so no more long walks. I have less money and can't go out as easily, so am at home more of the time. I am sedentary, sometimes bored, and am straying from my diet.(I found one brand of chips that are so hard to resist!) So----I have put on about 15 lbs in the last 6 months. I am far from over-weight, just slightly over the recommended size for my height and age, but I can sure feel the effects and see them.....my clothes are more uncomfortable, and some I refuse to wear any longer. I sure hope that I can maintain this current weight because I have no desire to get any larger for so many reasons....but only a small part is due to wanting to feel "attractive".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement