Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 03:10 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The problem with vaccine coverage under Part B is that it has to be given in the office and not at a pharmacy. Some doctors do not stock vaccines because of the requirements for maintaining refrigeration, including a backup system for power failures. If you do not have a supplement or Part D you could look into a Medicare Advantage plan, which can be quite affordable.
I went on chain pharmacies and national retail stores. They all said they accept Medicare Part B for flu and pneumonia shots. Medicare site said if the provider accepts Medicare, these are covered under Part B. Not the same for those under Part D if a store accepts Medicare? I did not find anything on Medicare site which said vaccinations must be given in a doctor's office.

My husband no longer gets his yearly flu shot at a doctors office 20 miles away. He just goes to the nearest CVS, or Walmart. More convenient. I have seen signs at our local Walmart saying they now carry the new Shingles vaccine and accept most private insurance plans, and Medicare.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:10 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just the same, how far they go or don't go, something stinks. I didn't realize that these vaccines were around for such a short time.
Yes, human kind has suffered immeasurably before the advent of preventive vaccines. Modern medicine has reduced suffering by preventable disease beyond what can be measured. To discount or not recognize that is pure idiocy.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:16 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Yes, human kind has suffered immeasurably before the advent of preventive vaccines. Modern medicine has reduced suffering by preventable disease beyond what can be measured. To discount or not recognize that is pure idiocy.
No one was discounting anything. Some people said the shingles vaccine et al are not for them.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:01 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I went on chain pharmacies and national retail stores. They all said they accept Medicare Part B for flu and pneumonia shots. Medicare site said if the provider accepts Medicare, these are covered under Part B. Not the same for those under Part D if a store accepts Medicare? I did not find anything on Medicare site which said vaccinations must be given in a doctor's office.

My husband no longer gets his yearly flu shot at a doctors office 20 miles away. He just goes to the nearest CVS, or Walmart. More convenient. I have seen signs at our local Walmart saying they now carry the new Shingles vaccine and accept most private insurance plans, and Medicare.
Zostavax is covered by Part D; Flu and pneumonia under Part B.

When I got Zostavax it was covered under my insurance, which was, now that I think about it, not Medicare but a commercial plan. My internist had to administer it in order for it to be covered, but he did not stock it. He got it from a local pharmacy and I hurried to the office to get it.

Those not on Medicare need to make sure about coverage before choosing a place to get it.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
No one was discounting anything. Some people said the shingles vaccine et al are not for them.
That's fine. You do not have to have a reason to reject any vaccine beyond not taking it, even if it's just because you do not like needles.

However, the benefit of the vaccine far outweighs the risks. The only real reason not to take it would be an allergy to something in it.

The poster who brought up the lawsuit against Zostavax is obviously trying to say that the suit means the vaccine is dangerous. It's not.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:26 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,358 times
Where are the current studies that ANY natural supplement or substance prevents shingles?

Where?

Those who are espousing the use of supplements vs. a vaccine to prevent shingles need to pony up with well-documented research or studies that prove efficacy at all, or anywhere near that of the vaccine.

Waiting.....

Last edited by BijouBaby; 05-15-2018 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 04:38 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
That's fine. You do not have to have a reason to reject any vaccine beyond not taking it, even if it's just because you do not like needles.

However, the benefit of the vaccine far outweighs the risks. The only real reason not to take it would be an allergy to something in it.

The poster who brought up the lawsuit against Zostavax is obviously trying to say that the suit means the vaccine is dangerous. It's not.
YOU do NOT know that. The fact that there is a lawsuit says something, or am I dreaming.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:42 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Where are the current studies that ANY natural supplement or substance prevents shingles?

Where?

Those who are espousing the use of supplements vs. a vaccine to prevent shingles need to pony up with well-documented research or studies that prove efficacy at all, or anywhere near that of the vaccine.

Waiting.....
I'm not looking for research papers..I had my vaccines when I went to first grade in the 40's....and probably a couple flu shots over my life and a tetnus and that's been it. I only go by what I've lived thru. And I've lived thru plenty of stress in my life.

MOST here are convinced so why want research on supplements. I have been taking supplements for over 25 yrs and also to calm my body and I worked 40 yrs in the business world and I had stress too. You are all convinced that you are doing the right thing, why need info on supplements?

There is a large population who do NOT take the vaccines, but because a handful here do, that makes it the best thing going?

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-15-2018 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
YOU do NOT know that. The fact that there is a lawsuit says something, or am I dreaming.
You did not read the link, did you? It shows that the lawsuit is based on poor info and probably will not get very far.

https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skep...lawsuit-facts/

Quote:
I'm not looking for research papers..I had my vaccines when I went to first grade in the 40's....and probably a couple flu shots over my life and a tetnus and that's been it. I only go by what I've lived thru.

MOST here are convinced so why want research on supplements. I have been taking supplements for over 25 yrs and also to calm my body and I worked 40 yrs in the business world and I had stress too.

There is a large population who do NOT take the vaccines, but because a handful here do, that makes it the best thing going?
We know you are not interested in the science behind vaccines and you are convinced (with no evidence to support that conviction) that your supplements are wonderful.

It's not just a handful here taking vaccines, it's millions around the world. The number taking the vaccine is really irrelevant. That tells us nothing about how safe or effective any vaccine is.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:28 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times
Quote:
You did not read the link, did you? It shows that the lawsuit is based on poor info and probably will not get very far.

https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skep...lawsuit-facts/

We know you are not interested in the science behind vaccines and you are convinced (with no evidence to support that conviction) that your supplements are wonderful.

It's not just a handful here taking vaccines, it's millions around the world. The number taking the vaccine is really irrelevant. That tells us nothing about how safe or effective any vaccine is.
It was only approx 16000 that the new vaccine was tested on. Safety/effect hasnt been determined. Not millions around the world taking this one yet. And the number is very relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.