Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:04 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,794 times

Advertisements

Well anyway, went to the optometrist yesterday, he is very personable and our talk came around to the recent bout of shingles, I have just gotten over, I hope. Anyway, he put the fear of God in me with horror stories of recent people he has seen that have had terrible cases of Shingles. After that, we went to the local Walmart to do some shopping. I decided to inquire at the Pharmacy, to see if they had the new Shingrix vaccine. Lo and behold, they had it and had just received approval to start selling it. I had a little conversation with the pharmacist, who would be giving it to me, explaining anything I knew about myself that could be relevant and anyway, I did it. I got the shot, I was the first one at that store to receive it. So far, the only effect I have noticed is a somewhat sore shoulder, mostly nothing. I sleep on that shoulder and it didn't bother me a bit. Slept 9 hours last night. It is just kind of amazing and scary how many people have and get shingles.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:32 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Congrats. I got the Zostavax shingles vaccination some years ago and am going to get the Shingrix vaccinations soon. I've seen shingles and dont want to risk getting it myself.

Two of my neighbors have had shingles. Both were in their mid-50s at the time, one a man and the other a woman. The man didnt want to get the shingles vaccination and, wouldnt you know, he got shingles again the next year. The woman said she was told she had to wait six months after her attack to get the Zostavax shingles shot -- she got the shot the 1st day she was able to do so.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:12 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
The new shingles vaccination is out? Do you know if Medicare covers it?

I had the original shingles vaccine when it first came out, hope I can still get this one too.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:45 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I had the original shingles vaccine when it first came out, hope I can still get this one too.
Yes, it is out, at least, in some locations. No, medicare does not cover it, at least not in the way I think you are asking. I have medicare and a Part D supplement. It cost me a hundred and sixty dollars for the first shot, cheap, if you consider the alternative. The pharmacy said it would be put toward my deductible of my part d. I must say I am sort of confused about how that works, but, I think they do it on purpose.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:53 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
As I understand it, some people have a Part-D plan that covers it (over a hundred bucks) and some don't. (The beauty of the private sector getting into "universal " coverage) Luckily, I did, and got the shot several years ago.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:03 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,110 times
Earlier this week I called my doc, and they are sending a prescription to my pharmacy, which will administer the shot in early April. (The wait is not their issue, it’s mine, that’s my next planned trip to the mainland.) I specified that it was the new shot I wanted. My understanding is that this new one is a two part shot, but guess I’ll find out when I go in April. I’m Doing it because of a horror story, a coworker in his early sixties who was so devastated with pain after getting shingles that after trying a few times to come back to work, he retired a few years before he had planned.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:24 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
My new NP put in a subscription for it to my new health insurance co but doubts it'!l be approved. It costs $200 here & I'm going to put it off as long as I can. Things change once I become 65 in September. We'll see what happens then.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:01 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
Yes, it is out, at least, in some locations. No, medicare does not cover it, at least not in the way I think you are asking. I have medicare and a Part D supplement. It cost me a hundred and sixty dollars for the first shot, cheap, if you consider the alternative. The pharmacy said it would be put toward my deductible of my part d. I must say I am sort of confused about how that works, but, I think they do it on purpose.
Yikes. I paid for it the first time because I panicked and wanted to get it even before Medicare started to cover it. With the newer shot, I really do hope Medicare will start to cover it. Maybe we'll just have to wait and see (or call Medicare and find out!)

Old 02-09-2018, 07:32 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/h...s-vaccine.html

"Medicare will cover Shingrix under Part D (like its predecessor), not under Part B like the flu vaccine. That complicates reimbursement for those seeking vaccination in doctors’ offices, so Medicare patients will probably find it simpler to head for a pharmacy.

But not all Medicare recipients have Part D, and those that do could face co-payments."

Old 02-09-2018, 07:44 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
As I understand it, some people have a Part-D plan that covers it (over a hundred bucks) and some don't. (The beauty of the private sector getting into "universal " coverage) Luckily, I did, and got the shot several years ago.
Not this one, you didn't. You received the Zostavax shingles vaccine, not Shringrix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Yes, Medicare covers it under Part D, not Part B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
I'm not sure what you think "they" are doing on purpose. It's the beginning of a new calendar year, so you are responsible for all your drug costs until you reach your deductible for the year. Medicare covered your injection, but since you haven't reached your deductible, you were responsible for paying for it out of pocket. Had you waited to get the vaccine until later in the year, then you wouldn't have had to pay the full $160. (Assuming you have other medications you take and had reached your deductible by then.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.