Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 09:29 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there will never be higher wages in anything people can easily do for themselves without a union or tips creating an artificial market rate. here in nyc doormen make a lot of money as an example . how about those elevator operators that push the buttons for you . at one time they got paid nicely .
I know about NYC I lived on the Lower East Side.

How many of those doormen don't speak English? Can't read (even in their own language)? Haven't assimilated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 09:31 AM

989 posts, read 769,314 times
This is a thread about not saving for retirement. The Solution is to save and make sure you can live somewhere where those folks cannot afford to. So Saving for retirement is imperative for a good Standard of living after retirement. While 80% of people will never achieve it. You have to Aim for the Top 20%. We are so glad we did. Saving for 40+ years for retirement should be a mandatory part of anyone's financial plan.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
This is a thread about not saving for retirement. The Solution is to save and make sure you can live somewhere where those folks cannot afford to. So Saving for retirement is imperative for a good Standard of living after retirement. While 80% of people will never achieve it. You have to Aim for the Top 20%. We are so glad we did. Saving for 40+ years for retirement should be a mandatory part of anyone's financial plan.
Living where others cannot? Are you a snob or a classist?

Old 02-26-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, I just do not want to live in an area that has the potential of being run down because the residents cannot afford to take care of their homes. It is a choice that I make, and I have worked hard for 45 years to earn that choice.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Run, did you pay all of your workers $20/hr in your retail store?
It was in the 90's. I closed it in 1999 because my mother had a disaster of a health situation and I couldn't do "her" AND my store.

I paid $3.00 over minimum or so I guess...$10.00 per hour plus sales commission and bonuses. So yes on some days they averaged that even back THEN. Hard to say since sometimes I threw cash at them.

A Pet Store (no dogs or cats) Very demanding skill wise, believe it or not. I had a deaf guy who was awesome but customers were rude about it.

IE one time I was out of a certain size of fish tank and my guy had a big sale. He told the guy "Wait a minute I have to run across to my warehouse to get that tank".

We had no warehouse, he ran across the street to BUY ONE from a competitor.

The sale was huge and I gave him the entire sale as a bonus less the wholesale cost. Probably $200 in his pocket for having that initiative.

NONE of the girls worked out on interview and "trial" test runs I had. They all thought they'd be sitting around petting animals and didn't want to get rid of their acrylic nails.

My best employees were hard workers who came from the restaurant industry.

Because operating a pet store is a combination of a restaurant and hospital. YOU HAVE TO KNOW ABOUT CLEANING AND HEALTH CODES. And enjoy doing it. And not KILL animals with a bunch of bleach etc.

NOW, after my mother went into a nursing home I was tired of living on savings and wanted some walk around money and took a local job in the Giant grocery.

I made great money for the job and era. $13.00 per hour and OT as offered. The only cashier and front worker the overnight shift.

ALL the guys were Americans and loved their job - there's a career path and full BENEFITS. We also had some of our local prison work-release people doing night crew stocking .

GREAT workers. So appreciative and LOVED throwing the heaviest aisles like water and dog food.

It was like being at the gym for them!

It was really fun working with them since they'd puff up their chests and cross their arms and stare at any guys who approached me who they thought looked sketchy LOL.

They also loved turning in the local cops who stole donuts by eating them in the store and reading newspapers they didn't pay for. Hilarious.

I learned SO MUCH about life in that job, even as an adult woman who spent most of my life in the Corporate world before buying my store.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-26-2018 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-26-2018, 09:50 AM

charlygal BTW, when my Drug Using Loser of a Competitor across the street got his store closed down,my guys BEGGED ME to take his stock and do the cleanout - broom clean.

(a Realtor asked me if I was interested and I really wasn't).

They convinced me to do it and said they'd handle the entire thing.

So I got the stock for free and they made a good bundle of money by showing that initiative and it took them at least 4 days of constant and often difficult work because the loser used all cinderblocks inside and had everything thrown around like a bomb went off.

It was worth every penny of the big money I paid them because the stock was worth at least about $20K that the idiot left behind.

Owing a small business is not for the faint of heart or lazy. I wish some of these Capitalism haters would try it, considering that 80% of all business in America is small business.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:56 AM

charlygal

One more:

One of my guys who I really liked ALWAYS sent customers to me or someone else when it came to explaining fish instructions.

I was like "WTH?"

I was friends with his family (he was 19) and one day his mom told me "I'm so glad John is doing well here. He's dyslexic and has some problems with interpreting reading things so that's why he was only working in restaurants all these years since he was 15."

SERIOUSLY???!!

Do you think I'm running a job corps program here, lady?

Old 02-26-2018, 10:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Run, calm down.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
I'm not going to speak for shokwaverider but I have no interest in ever living in Section 8 housing in the ghetto. We're all classist. It's part of being human and part of being in a tribe. Like an awful lot of us, I worked hard my entire life to make sure Section 8 housing would never happen.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Like an awful lot of us, I worked hard my entire life to make sure Section 8 housing would never happen.
There is nothing wrong with not wanting to live near or where poor (or perceived poor) people live. It is a life choice that is made very early in one's working career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement