Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 07:56 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,481,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
^ this

I'm sure old white guys can find quite a few places for employment. So long as other businesses can refuse to hire other types too.
Not exactly.

White makes are now a minority, but don't have minority status YET.

that's not to say they outnumber blacks, it's not just blacks they are against, it's the Hispanics, the Asians, the blacks, and anyone else of "a color " that isnt cinsidered "white".

And white old guys who pursue it are getting handsomely rewarded by juries or courts.

Regardless what age you are now ( meaning 20s early 30s) you WILL be "OLD " someday unless your life struck down younger.

Young people seem to forget that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 07:58 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Not exactly.

White makes are now a minority, but don't have minority status YET.

that's not to say they outnumber blacks, it's not just blacks they are against, it's the Hispanics, the Asians, the blacks, and anyone else of "a color " that isnt cinsidered "white".

And white old guys who pursue it are getting handsomely rewarded by juries or courts.

Regardless what age you are now ( meaning 20s early 30s) you WILL be "OLD " someday unless your life struck down younger.

Young people seem to forget that.

If I have 20 applications for a job and I interview all 20 please tell me who I hire? That's right, whoever I want. Why does Hooters have all young girls working there? I haven't seen any old guys waiting tables.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:20 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
It doesn't exist unless it is happening to YOU.

like Starbucks and their imposed diversity training. They could also use some training in avoiding ageism.

I have been called cute, eye-rolled, snickered at, etc. and don't see that happening to those who are the age of the baristas.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:25 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Olive Garden is crap. They serve glorified TV dinners. No one with any self respect would want to work there. If this "Seasons" place is owned by the same company, chances are they are no better.
I've read that it's one of the unhealthiest places to eat. That the meals are very high calorie and/or high saturated fat and/or very high sodium. I've never eaten there and don't plan to.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:31 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Hooters seems to like females with hooters. Discrimination!

Old 05-04-2018, 08:32 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
^ this

I'm sure old white guys can find quite a few places for employment. So long as other businesses can refuse to hire other types too.
"I'm sure old white guys can find quite a few places for employment."

"I'm sure black people can find quite a few places for employment."

"I'm sure old white women can find quite a few places for employment."

"I'm sure young white guys can find quite a few places for employment."

"I'm sure Asians can find quite a few places for employment."

"I'm sure Middle Easterners can find quite a few places for employment."

"I'm sure young white gals can find quite a few places for employment."

"I'm sure disabled people can find quite a few places for employment."

Look at the above statements. These are examples of rationalizations for illegal discrimination.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I've read that it's one of the unhealthiest places to eat. That the meals are very high calorie and/or high saturated fat and/or very high sodium. I've never eaten there and don't plan to.
Most of their stuff (deserts, etc.) are frozen, the pasta comes to them pre-cooked or par boiled, etc.

You aren't missing anything.

This happens to be true of most places these days - which is why it gets harder to go to restaurants. Places which claim to make "fresh" can be found to have their soup delivered in large plastic bags.

Even high priced stuff like Starbucks - most of their deserts are shipped frozen and thawed out.

This is why - when you find a "real place" - stick with it! We have found certain pizza places (we live near the hubs of the best pizza in the USA) where everything is made right in front of us. Same goes with a French Bakery and other such places.

Other than that, we tend to make our own food at home or go to one of a very few fresh eateries (we live near college towns, so some can be found).

Old 05-04-2018, 08:38 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Unless you can prove it was age, sex or race related, which no one ever can, there is nothing anyone can do. I don't have to hire anyone I don't want to. It's virtually impossible to prove.

No employer is going to say in an interview the reason they aren't hiring you. Useless laws.
Sure there is. If you have 20 years of wait staff experience, are 50 and have great references, but they hire a 20 year old with 0 years experience, no references, it is clearly a case of age discrimination.

I (And others who are older) have actually been told I /we "don't fit into the employers cultural image", meaning you aren't young hip and "modern"....what ever that is.

Older people have a goid work ethic, tend to follow the workplace rules and don't sit texting their friends as,young people do, in many cases.

I was in a store not to long ago, where the young female cashier actually stopped counting my change to take a cell phone call.
With her hands still in the drawer, she continued to chat about finding a babysitter so she could go out after work, still not giving me my change.
Only after she got off the phone did she finish getting my change, and finally have it to me 8 full minutes later!! She was 20 if that.
A 54 yo would not have done that to me. I asked her to see the manager, but was informed he'd gone to the bank. I decided not to wait for him to tell him of my experience.

I find that to be the case, although it can be different for other experiences.

It is sad this country no longer values older persons, and their experience and work ethics.

Even my 30 yo manager sits watching videos half the day, comes in when he feels like it, goes home the same way, and says he's sick, when really he'd been out late drinking trying to pick up a new GF and is actually hung over.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
"I'm sure old white guys can find quite a few places for employment."

Look at the above statements. These are examples of rationalizations for illegal discrimination.
talk to us about hooters??

How about hip clubs - the bartenders? Should a 65 year old without tats get the job?

How about those places where people with roller skates roll up to your drive-in space? 300 LB old white guys should get the job as opposed to young women?

Lots of age discrimination everywhere...and I am fine with it. There are advantages and disadvantages to every age. You can't be a commercial pilot after a relatively young age - DISCRIMINATION....or, a FACT that cognitive abilities decline?

I report, you decide....

Basically people can hire whoever they want. There are some laws which apply, but we could say NASA discriminates...or the Marines do too!

We owned a business and once passed over a candidate because she was too pretty (it was mostly guys there...and she would have definitely upset the chemistry, although we had other women who qualified and succeeded. The same biz...we once had a 350 LB woman working for us...with customers! So it's not like we were sexist. We just knew that it would be a distraction to have this "perfect" woman working in a relatively dirty (HVAC, etc.) place. Also, the woman that we did hire was far superior in work performance...than anyone I can imagine. She was attractive, but not perfect. Her sister was, tho (a model) and when she would come into the shop all the guys would actually crawl on the floor drooling.

In the real world, appearance matters. I think a "Kojak" might be hired as a bartender.....or maybe even a George Carlin type. But not a "straight man" who was older. Personality matters and appearance and mannerisms often reflect personality.

As a customer I never cared one iota whether an "older white guy" or a younger one (or a female) served me...of course, I am not a regular at Hooters, either.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:29 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times
The only thing surprising about this thread is that Seasons 52 and O.G. are owned by the same company. I love Seasons 52 and would rather go hungry than go to an O.G.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement