Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:30 AM

50,481 posts, read 47,219,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The very first post in the thread states they have to pay $3,000,000.00. So doesn't that discredit your entire post?
anecdotal

I can sue anyone for anything. As an employer I can come up with many reasons why I hired someone over someone else. First off, no one else applying gets to see the other applications but , that's right, me!

It could be they work for less pay, were more professional, the list is endless.

They would have won had they not asked for DL ages, etc. Must be someone pretty stupid doing the hiring if they can't tell age by looking at them. They'll learn and just keep doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 11:35 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,235,632 times
Season 52 should hire whomever they want. Their business, their rights.

If they feel hiring much younger people will increase their business by all means they should be allowed to.

Age discrimination is real and it's something we all have to accept. Hell how can anyone blame companies for not hiring older people when seniors discriminate against their own age group?

FYI I know every year I get older my likelihood of getting hired at my age gets harder. Have to save more and invest wisely. Can't turn back the clock or fight the system. Why hire someone my age or older when you can go for younger who has more potential.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,769 posts, read 58,209,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Season 52 should hire whomever they want. Their business, their rights.

If they feel hiring much younger people will increase their business by all means they should be allowed to.

Age discrimination is real and it's something we all have to accept. Hell how can anyone blame companies for not hiring older people when seniors discriminate against their own age group?

FYI I know every year I get older my likelihood of getting hired at my age gets harder. Have to save more and invest wisely. Can't turn back the clock or fight the system. Why hire someone my age or older when you can go for younger who has more potential.
Yeah!!!

Just look at the scrutiny / chastisement of anyone who tries to post on the C-D Retirement Forum, if they got to "retirement" a day BEFORE age 65 and by any means OTHER than a Gov Job with a pension

Impossible

"Sticky: Please, don't report all general threads as off topic" (Sticky Added for ONE particular, VERY particular poster )

So predictable

Old 05-04-2018, 12:14 PM

5,201 posts, read 3,124,286 times
Never heard of them. Looked at their menu -- they sell "handhelds" and truffle mac-n-cheese. IMO they deserve double that $3M fine -- just for existing.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:16 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,004,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northshorenative View Post
They told him they were looking for "perkier". Meaning, cute, young, females - those are all of the types that they hire.
Odds are they were looking for young women they could hit on.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:26 PM

5,255 posts, read 3,622,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Using Liberal logic, that is racism, sexism, and ageism wrapped into one. The unique part of is we are discriminating against older White men.
Karma, it's a bitc....

Old 05-04-2018, 01:36 PM

8,885 posts, read 4,604,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
anecdotal

I can sue anyone for anything. As an employer I can come up with many reasons why I hired someone over someone else. First off, no one else applying gets to see the other applications but , that's right, me!

It could be they work for less pay, were more professional, the list is endless.

They would have won had they not asked for DL ages, etc. Must be someone pretty stupid doing the hiring if they can't tell age by looking at them. They'll learn and just keep doing it.
lol - if the poster wasn't so irate, this would be funny because it is so wrong. Totally.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:00 PM

3,610 posts, read 7,941,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I think if you own a business you can hire whomever you like.
You may think that but it's not the law, and hasn't been for some time.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:09 PM

50,481 posts, read 47,219,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
lol - if the poster wasn't so irate, this would be funny because it is so wrong. Totally.
I'm part of the hiring process at my work, or used to be anyway. One of the methods was simply a show of hands by the interview panel.

They look at how much they are asking for, job history, etc on paper. In the interview process they take into consideration so much more.

A small business can hire and fire anyone they want here for any reason and they don't have to tell you the truth.

Do people think they can force someone to hire them?

Old 05-04-2018, 04:29 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,004,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A small business can hire and fire anyone they want here for any reason and they don't have to tell you the truth.
A job applicant who believes they've been discriminated against can file a charge with the EEOC: The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

You might want to read this page. It spells out age discrimination. There's another page for racial discrimination.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm

Once an applicant files a charge with the EEOC, they can sue you directly for discrimination.

Quote:
Do people think they can force someone to hire them?
No, probably not. But they can collect a fat settlement for illegal hiring practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement