Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 09:30 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Meh, don't eat there. Anyway if a place has good food I could care less about their "social outrage" or whatever today's trend is.

I think if you own a business you can hire whomever you like.
Illegally you can sure but then don't get upset when you have to settle a discrimination case.

Darden thought the same thing and now they have to cut a 5 million dollar check.

Yep, I think stupidity should be expensive.

Yes you can hire whomever you like but as a cosumer with money I can spend wherever I want.

And if a business cannot be bothered to hire on ability and talent, I can't be bothered to spend my money there.

LOL, so how far does that go. if the place has good food and the owner is a child molester, could care less that's a social trend?

What's funny about this is Seasons 52 is pretty much seniors or older folks who eat there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Do we really think "not looking for old white guys" is the official stance of the corporation? Of course not, it was just one sloppy employee who said that and it was turned into clickbait.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:34 AM

189 posts, read 110,714 times
I think this is common.

A relative of mine, who is retired after 40 years in the wine business, applied for a part-time position in a tasting room of a national winery/restaurant. He knows more about wine than anyone I've ever met and could have sold buckets of wine for them.

They told him they were looking for "perkier". Meaning, cute, young, females - those are all of the types that they hire.

(Maybe they were afraid he would tell the truth about the quality of their product).

Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Unless you can prove it was age, sex or race related, which no one ever can, there is nothing anyone can do. I don't have to hire anyone I don't want to. It's virtually impossible to prove.

No employer is going to say in an interview the reason they aren't hiring you. Useless laws.
The very first post in the thread states they have to pay $3,000,000.00. So doesn't that discredit your entire post?

Old 05-04-2018, 10:24 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
It gets tougher these days with electronic applications That won't proceed until you enter a date for high school or college graduation.

That alone can single you as "too old".

We were in olive garden not to long ago. I don't think 90% of the staff was old enough to buy the wines they were serving! I also noted the same staff was mostly all male. But I know restaurants who would not have a male waitstaffer either.

I keep getting turned down for jobs I am qualified for, and I think it is age discrimination. I often don't even get to the interview stage, because of the year of graduations on my electronic applications and electronic resume. Lying about my graduation year is not an option for me, i dont play that way.

There was a report about a Baltimore lady, who had 3 masters and a doctorate degree, but was in her 50s, and was totally disregarded based on her degrees age.

Also there is a national company here in N.Y. that is well known to pay the fines rather than hire 2 kinds of people : those with a criminal record no matter how old the conviction is, and for not hiring those over 35. The fines aren't stiff enough apparently to deter actions like this.

Several people here in their 50s have complained of not getting to the interview stage or past the actual in person interview to the hiring stage in their 50s. If you qualify, and don't get hired and a young person does, it's clearly age discrimination.

Saying it doesn't SEEM to exist, doesn't make it so.

It does not help that HR people are often quite young.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:43 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
Using Liberal logic, that is racism, sexism, and ageism wrapped into one. The unique part of is we are discriminating against older White men.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:44 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
Quote:
If I have 20 applications for a job and I interview all 20 please tell me who I hire? That's right, whoever I want. Why does Hooters have all young girls working there? I haven't seen any old guys waiting tables.
You better hope you never end up in front of a jury. As prevalent as age discrimination is, I would just assume the employer is guilty unless they can prove otherwise.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:01 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
If I have 20 applications for a job and I interview all 20 please tell me who I hire? That's right, whoever I want. Why does Hooters have all young girls working there? I haven't seen any old guys waiting tables.
For the same reason that the Radio City Rockettes do.

Google BFOQ and educate yourself on that aspect of employment discrimination law.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:11 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
3M is nothing to these people. They will continue doing the same thing. The fine was not enough to punish them into acting properly.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
"Not looking for old white guys"

Yes, this is common, yes this is true, and the point is?

My boss spewed that logic for many yrs, he added, "NO Gray hair allowed on my team"!!! (Ironically, he is a manager in a very excellent EOE centric Fortune 50, and is getting close to gray on the fringes)

Recently I heard the manager has commented "I want to have the FIRST ALL Millennial dept in the company", so I guess this manager is OUT! or will need to find a dept who WILL take him.

OK... the point is?

(If you are gray, get a job the accepts you... pretty standard for the last few hundred yrs)

If you don't like it... become self employed, or buy your own company. You don't have the time or energy to fight it. Just modify your expectations to include a small dose of reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement