Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 06:46 AM

6,791 posts, read 5,521,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
As an old white guy, apply for a job as a server at Hooters or Victoria's Secret and see how far you get.
No old white guy is going to apply for those types jobs.

Get real.

They are being denied interviews or jobs for jobs they QUALIFY for. Or for jobs like the poster who said CVS would not give him a chance that "any idiot can do ".

There are reoorts,that millenials are saving money and converse reports that millenials have to choose between: going to college, or buying a house or having kids, they can't support all three.

The only way the young discriminatory ones will learn is when THEY get old, and cannot find a job due to the fact they are "to old".

You can't discriminate against hiring the handicapped, but as soon as they see I have a cane, I get disincluded for many jobs in qualified for, and CAN DO. I have a bad knee, im NOT a,weakling. All applications state that "reasonable accommodations will be made for a handicapped individual", yet I don't even get past the preliminary intake "interview" by some young kid who won't look at my application again.
So much for "reasonable accommodations ". If I do click "disabled " I'm not even going to get an interview.

I have a good attendance record, if I need to be out ill, I always have a Drs note in hand , often work through being I'll, and have been late only once In a year AT my current job, and that was due to being frozen out of my vehicle after an ice storm, and I called an hour before I was due there to tell the manager I might be late. It only takes me 10-15 min to get to work. Later when the manager was due in, he called to say HE was frozen out of his vehicle, too. He necer did show up that day.

He's late 20s and shows up late to work often, having been out late drinking. Sometimes he shows up hung over and goes home early to sleep it off. He sits in his office and plays games or watches videos on his phone half the day. I don't. Only when the owner shows up dies he "look alive".

One of my co-workers is very young, and calls off simply because she "doesn't have a babysitter". You'd thibk tgat would be a priority.

I have a good work ethic. I question some young people's work ethic . I actually got the jib because the manager complained THAT OTHER young ones he hired were doing just what he does, and yet he does it. He values his older worker, and gee, if it ain't so, I'm the oldest worker there at 54. Only one other is 6 months younger, at 54, but I'll be 55 in a few months, she won't until next year. She also has a good work ethic like me, and always had drs note for illness, or works through illness too.

I had double hernia surgery in Jan, and was only out for a week.

I suppose I should feel lucky to have a job at all. Around here, 60% of workers are 50 or older, so the young population is going to hard pressed to totally discount us. Most of the older workers THOUGHT they had a pension until the companies they worked for while young went out of business when manufacturing left the area. So they HAVE to work, at something, somewhere. Even if it's a job that "any idiot" can do.

The 40- some thibngs are already worried that when they reach 50, they will be out of a job. ANY job.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 05-13-2018 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 08:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,557,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
No old white guy is going to apply for those types jobs.

Get real.
Basically, this. I don't see throngs of old white men applying for low paid kitchen and restaurant work.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:15 AM

745 posts, read 482,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Just accept the fact that some jobs require young people.

Is that fair? Nope. Life is unfair. Get over it.
Just be sure to give that advice to EVERY group or person that claims they are being treated unfairly.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:58 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,543,918 times
Agree that discrination is too difficult to prove. I remember years ago my boss asked me why I passed over an applicant’s resume and I told her honestly, “the woman has a hyphenated last name. If she cannot decide whether to keep her maiden name or take her husband’s name I don’t want her reporting to me.” Make a decision that doesn’t include hyphenation. That was 20 years ago. There are all sorts of ways we discriminate.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:24 AM

5,267 posts, read 3,634,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Agree that discrination is too difficult to prove. I remember years ago my boss asked me why I passed over an applicant’s resume and I told her honestly, “the woman has a hyphenated last name. If she cannot decide whether to keep her maiden name or take her husband’s name I don’t want her reporting to me.” Make a decision that doesn’t include hyphenation. That was 20 years ago. There are all sorts of ways we discriminate.
Wow! ....no words. Glad I didn't have to work for a boss like that, I think she dodged a bullet in the long term.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,557,783 times
Quote:
Wow, what a jerk. She did make a decision. She wanted both names.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:28 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,298,461 times
Quote:
I am friends with a couple who hyphenated their names and both of them - the husband and the wife - took the hyphenate. I guess you would have passed over him as well?

Old 05-15-2018, 09:55 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,916,004 times
Darden Restaurants has been successfully sued many, many times for violation of the Federal Minimum Wage. They've been successfully sued many, many times for all manner of labor law violations.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 AM

708 posts, read 724,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
^ this

I'm sure old white guys can find quite a few places for employment. So long as other businesses can refuse to hire other types too.
I am an old white guy and last thing i want to do is work at a restaurant. I think the lawsuit was baseless just more ways to try and get money for free then it costs all of us for increased meal prices.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Unless you can prove it was age, sex or race related, which no one ever can, there is nothing anyone can do. I don't have to hire anyone I don't want to. It's virtually impossible to prove.

No employer is going to say in an interview the reason they aren't hiring you. Useless laws.
It's really EASY to prove. The fact that you haven't hired any N-words (or whatever your personal bigotry extends to) says it all FOR you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement