Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 01:25 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,428,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
So how do they know? Crystal balls? Dial Dionne Warwick?
Science is how they know.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:30 PM

7,493 posts, read 6,282,985 times
Quote:
If you had shingles, why would you need the shot?

The disease itself confers immunity.

??? Why did your doctor tell you to get the shot? Makes no sense.
1. To keep from getting it again
2. Wrong
3.To prevent recurrance. Made perfect sense to me

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...acts-and-myths

Old 05-24-2018, 01:48 PM

37,182 posts, read 41,377,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I read about the shot, some time ago, and saw signs that the pharmacy had the shot. I asked at my internist about it and he told me they did not carry it due to the high cost.

I checked with my pharmacy and the pharmacist rolled his eyes and commented how expensive the two shots were.

With those comments from my doctor and pharmacist, I decided to pass.
You need a new pharmacist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Maybe so but if I had an extra $170 laying around I would buy groceries.

Right after I read this post I saw a commercial on tv about a lawsuit against a shingles vaccine because it gave people shingles.
That lawsuit will not get very far. Zostavax is not 100% effective. It did not cause shingles, it just did not prevent it. Big difference. If someone got an extensive rash after taking the vaccine he was probably immunocompromised, which is a contraindication to the vaccine. If the immunocompromize was already known, the problem was not the vaccine but the person giving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Completely agree! I had shingles in my eye when I was 42 or 43 - long before I could have gotten the vaccine, of course. I never wanted to go through that again and was annoyed that I had to wait until 50 before I could get the old vaccine. It will be 5 years this summer, which I've read is the amount of time they want you to wait before getting Shingrix if you had the old one, so I'll definitely be asking my doctor about it!
No, Shingrix may be given any time more than 8 weeks after Zostavax.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...grix/faqs.html

"How long after a person received Zostavax—the shingles vaccine in use since 2006—should I wait to give Shingrix?
A: Studies confirmed that Shingrix was safe and immunogenic when administered 5 or more years after Zostavax. Intervals shorter than 5 years have not been studied. However, there are no data or theoretical concerns to indicate Shingrix would be less safe or effective when given less than 5 years after Zostavax. You may consider an interval shorter than 5 years, especially if your patient was >70 years old when they received Zostavax. Wait a minimum of 8 weeks after a person received Zostavax to give Shingrix."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
I had shingles (about 25 years ago) that were on my back and ran in perfection formation following my rib bones. Felt like knives stabbing me in the ribs. Would rather have broken ribs. I took the first shingles vaccination shot about 2 weeks ago. I didn't go lift weights/exercise after, like I normally do, or take a motrin. My arm was pretty tender for about 3 days and a dull pain seem to run up my shoulder and neck. I get a booster shot in a couple of months. Compared to having a bout with shingles, I am happy to endure the vaccination soreness.
Just a little nitpicking, but the second shot is part of the initial immunization process. It is not considered a "booster". If you do not get the second dose you may not get optimal protection.

Obviously there is no way to know whether a booster will be needed because the vaccine is too new. However, the early study results suggest it will not be, considering the ages of the people who will be taking it.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:59 PM

37,182 posts, read 41,377,016 times
Quote:

The shingles vaccines are the only vaccines that are given not to prevent the initial infection but to reduce the risk of reactivation of dormant virus.

Shingles is the result of that reactivation, and having it once does not prevent another episode of reactivation later. A person can have multiple episodes of shingles.

Quote:
I know someone whose mother had shingles while pregnant. This person is immune to both chickenpox and shingles, according to the doctor. And 50 years later, has never had either. Is this new science to support vaccines for everyone at all times?
Not everyone will have the virus reactivate more than once. In fact, it usually does not.

The "new science" is to support a vaccine that is highly effective in preventing shingles and the persistent pain that it can cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
The 'science' we grew up with believed that if someone got a significant case of chickenpox they had immunity to shingles later in life. The medical writers that I follow now believe that, as a result of the chickenpox vaccination which began in the mid 90's, we are no longer, continuously, exposed to the 'wild' herpes zoster virus - thus we've lost our herd immunity and the dormant virus is more likely to reignite into shingles.

I have not chosen to receive the vaccination at this time.
That theory has been disproved. The incidence of herpes zoster was increasing before the chickenpox vaccine was introduced and is still increasing in countries, like the UK, that do not routinely vaccinate against chickenpox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I will get it when it is covered by insurance.
Check your plan. It should be covered.

Medicare Part D plans will probably charge a copay and may place the vaccine in high tier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Concerning shingles immunity... After my shingles healed, I asked my doc for the vaccine. He refused because he said that I would have a natural immunity to shingles for 3-4 years after having had it. After that, the immunity ceases and I would be at risk to get it a 2nd time. So apparently there is a short, temporary immunity following an outbreak according to him. That seems weird that it's only temporary. Maybe that doc didn't know what he was talking about. I dumped him soon after that anyway for this an other reasons.

For whatever reason though, it is obvious that there is no natural immunity with shingles. I've known people who had it 2-3 times. One poor older lady at work had it covering the left side of her face including her eye lid and mouth. How she managed to keep coming to work during that episode is beyond me, but she looked utterly horrible and had to be in immense pain. This was before I had it and was clueless about how much she was suffering. I continued to go to work too (intermittently) when I had mine, but mine was on the left half of my back, wrapping around my left side to the front left torso, so it wasn't visible. But I remember sitting at my desk, completely unable to work, just popping tons of narcotics and advil and having to remove some underclothing that was irritating my skin. Yeah, I pretty much hid in my office as much as I could. Wow what a nightmare that was. My blood pressure shoots up just remembering it.
DH went to work with his outbreak, too, which involved his scalp and face. Lyrica helped with the pain, but I do not see how you and he did it.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:24 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,477,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I read about the shot, some time ago, and saw signs that the pharmacy had the shot. I asked at my internist about it and he told me they did not carry it due to the high cost.

I checked with my pharmacy and the pharmacist rolled his eyes and commented how expensive the two shots were.

With those comments from my doctor and pharmacist, I decided to pass.

My doctor doesnt carry the shingles vaccine either because of the cost. but I surely wouldnt let that stop me from getting it. I've seen two people -- a male friend and a female neighbor -- affected by shingles and would never want to have the pain that both of them had.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:40 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,477,599 times
Quote:

OMG, the misinformation that floats around on this forum! I SAW both a good friend and a good neighbor get struck down with shingles -- and they both had repeated episodes of it. That was before the original shingles shot was available but, as soon as it was, both of them paid to get it.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:48 PM

50,412 posts, read 64,161,814 times
Can I just top off what I already said, by saying it is important to recognize the first symptoms and seek treatment.
The virus lurks in the spine, and follows along the path of a nerve. The early symptoms for me were a bad backache between my shoulder blades. This is a place that nobody ever has a backache. The next most important symptom is a feeling like you can’t stand anything touching your skin. Interestingly, my bouts are always on the same side.
If you get either of those symptoms, get your doctor to prescribe acyclovir (or another antivirus) immediately. It will knock it out within a week without the rash.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:07 PM

4,904 posts, read 2,699,536 times
my neighbor got the vaccine and still got shingles anyway..

Old 05-24-2018, 05:51 PM

1,550 posts, read 1,203,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Can I just top off what I already said, by saying it is important to recognize the first symptoms and seek treatment.
The virus lurks in the spine, and follows along the path of a nerve. The early symptoms for me were a bad backache between my shoulder blades. This is a place that nobody ever has a backache. The next most important symptom is a feeling like you can’t stand anything touching your skin. Interestingly, my bouts are always on the same side.
If you get either of those symptoms, get your doctor to prescribe acyclovir (or another antivirus) immediately. It will knock it out within a week without the rash.
I got ACYCLOVIR 2 days after the outbreak started and it did nothing to quell or shorten the whole thing. About 2-3 of active pox, nerve and skin pain to the max the whole time. I don't call it a rash because the connotation of that word is way too mild. I call them pox cuz they are angry red, *****, crusty, itchy, seething, painful little sores. Badass sores. Sorry if that's too graphic for some folks, but I'm trying to convey the reality of this. Maybe the antivirus helps others if taken soon enough, but it didn't do squat for me. I got if full blown. My bad luck I guess.

But still you give excellent advice = that's the thing to do. Mine also started with a massive lower back pain in the middle of the night that woke me up. Weird, intense deep aching. And I never get back pain. But it was crazy bad. THen the next day, the pox arrived in all their gruesome glory. Rushed to the doc and got every drug for my arsenal, but really only the narcotics helped and only half way for a couple of hours at a time. Not enough to get me through a decent night's sleep. Just too severe for narcotics to keep the pain at bay for long.

Yes, if you don't get the vaccine and you have those initial symptoms, follow gentlearts advice and get thee to a doctor FAST.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:10 PM

13,101 posts, read 7,565,597 times
^
Quote:
Yes, if you don't get the vaccine and you have those initial symptoms, follow gentlearts advice and get thee to a doctor FAST.
Also lower back.
Mine was misdiagnosed by 2 doctors 1st doc thought maybe kidney stones. Then as rash appeared the 2nd doc thought it was hives Only when the blisters appeared did the 3rd doctor make the correct diagnosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement