Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:43 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,492,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Well I can tell you that living n Miami Brach, it’s a lot more bearable than my friends living in Orlando in July. So yes those ocean breezes do help more than you think.
Funny, I am oceanside/beachfront on average once every week or so. Not to go to the beach, but for restaurants, shopping, medical care. Never once have I ever thought to myself in July/August or heard anyone with me say...…"Wow, its so much cooler here"...…..sorry...…….90 degrees with high humidity is pretty unbearable regardless the breeze blowing hot air around.

We never say lets go to the beach to cool off lol. We avoid the beach in the summer because its hot as hades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 05:17 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,314,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Sorry, based on my own considerable experience being oceanfront in summer I'm not buying that.

These are the numbers today:

Temp/Humidity/Wind

Jacksonville Beach 86/76/12

Ponte Vedra Beach 88/74/11

Ormond Beach 88/73/10

New Smyrna Beach 88/72/8

Deland(inland) 88/74/7

Its hot as heck everywhere in FL today. And a few mph sea breeze are not making an appreciable difference in that fact unless your only plans for the rest of your life are to sit on the beach! If you have to do normal things like go to the grocery store the heat from the asphalt parking lot is going to blast you wherever you are, your car will be like an oven, and you will be running A/C like most everyone else.

Yes, it's hot everywhere in Florida but it's considerably cooler along the oceanfront most every afternoon.

My observations come from living oceanfront my whole life. Talking about the hot parking lot at the grocery store has nothing to do with how much cooler it is along the oceanfront. Those of us who live oceanfront can enjoy the cooler weather without actually sitting on the beach for the rest of our lives.

How far from the ocean are the weather stations you posted? I'm guessing not a single one is in an oceanfront building. Like I said, the difference in oceanfront and a fraction of a mile inland can be significant. If the wind is west or the sea breeze is interrupted, it can be just as hot beachfront. If the sea breeze is blowing which is does most afternoons in the summer, even a slight breeze makes a considerable difference.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,816,441 times
Quote:
Funny, I am oceanside/beachfront on average once every week or so. Not to go to the beach, but for restaurants, shopping, medical care. Never once have I ever thought to myself in July/August or heard anyone with me say...…"Wow, its so much cooler here"...…..sorry...…….90 degrees with high humidity is pretty unbearable regardless the breeze blowing hot air around.

We never say lets go to the beach to cool off lol. We avoid the beach in the summer because its hot as hades.
It's all about what you like and what you are used to up to a point; crazy hot can be medically dangerous. But I have been in S FL in the summer and spent plenty of time outside and enjoyed it. Pretty much all of the SE gets similar temps and humidity in the summer. In fact most of the SE is hotter. Miami has only had one 100 degree temp ever (source). Raleigh has had several days in a row of 100+ a number of times and gets a few single days of 100+ pretty much every summer.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Yes, it's hot everywhere in Florida but it's considerably cooler along the oceanfront most every afternoon.

My observations come from living oceanfront my whole life. Talking about the hot parking lot at the grocery store has nothing to do with how much cooler it is along the oceanfront. Those of us who live oceanfront can enjoy the cooler weather without actually sitting on the beach for the rest of our lives.

How far from the ocean are the weather stations you posted? I'm guessing not a single one is in an oceanfront building. Like I said, the difference in oceanfront and a fraction of a mile inland can be significant. If the wind is west or the sea breeze is interrupted, it can be just as hot beachfront. If the sea breeze is blowing which is does most afternoons in the summer, even a slight breeze makes a considerable difference.
Now you want us to believe that while the temp is 91 degrees you are enjoying cool weather at the beach? Sorry, that is absurd.

I have no idea where they measure the temp. I pulled up the beach weather reports. Most of the beaches aren't that wide so how far back could it be from the breeze?

Whatever difference the breeze makes, it is not a considerable difference to people who don't like FL heat. Like I said, most of the time its not even noticeable. Not once in my entire life have I ever gone from inland to oceanfront in FL in the summer and said "wow its so much cooler here". The only time I say or hear that is later in the year when the breeze makes it actually cold lol.

There are plenty of reasons to live at the beach. Plenty not to. Same with living inland in FL. Millions of people live in both places. Telling people who may be thinking about retiring to FL that they will be significantly cooler in the summer at the beach is misleading. But, people can do their own homework and should especially if they have concerns about the heat.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
It's all about what you like and what you are used to up to a point; crazy hot can be medically dangerous. But I have been in S FL in the summer and spent plenty of time outside and enjoyed it. Pretty much all of the SE gets similar temps and humidity in the summer. In fact most of the SE is hotter. Miami has only had one 100 degree temp ever (source). Raleigh has had several days in a row of 100+ a number of times and gets a few single days of 100+ pretty much every summer.
True. I grew up in Atlanta and we always vacationed in FL, plus even though I spent most of my adult life in DC, Philly, NY, I had family in FL that I visited regularly. So I knew what to expect.

I think the thing about FL is that the heat/humidity goes on for much longer than most of the rest of the south. Plus there is rarely a break in high degree days once it starts.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:24 AM

989 posts, read 774,864 times
People go on and on about the heat in Florida. We have lived here for 13 odd years now. You do get used to it, and miss it when it is cold (December & January here where we are). We came from Laguna Beach in SoCAL so we know what almost perfect weather is. And it is more breezy by the beach. Regardless what folks say here. We are walking distance from the beach and walk it often, and stroll along the beach itself a lot. It is not unbearable. Just make sure you have lots of sunscreen.

To each his own, but we would much rather be close to the beach and hot, than ANYWHERE where it snows and looks bleak in the winter.

HOWEVER, the point if the post was how affordable it is. Their estimations are way OTT unless you want to live in a swamp some place in a shack with no services around you. You could get some nice Apartments for those home prices in 2010, but not now. A nice Apartment style condo will cost you >$200k in a nice area.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:40 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,314,967 times
Quote:
Now you want us to believe that while the temp is 91 degrees you are enjoying cool weather at the beach? Sorry, that is absurd.

I have no idea where they measure the temp. I pulled up the beach weather reports. Most of the beaches aren't that wide so how far back could it be from the breeze?

Whatever difference the breeze makes, it is not a considerable difference to people who don't like FL heat. Like I said, most of the time its not even noticeable. Not once in my entire life have I ever gone from inland to oceanfront in FL in the summer and said "wow its so much cooler here". The only time I say or hear that is later in the year when the breeze makes it actually cold lol.

There are plenty of reasons to live at the beach. Plenty not to. Same with living inland in FL. Millions of people live in both places. Telling people who may be thinking about retiring to FL that they will be significantly cooler in the summer at the beach is misleading. But, people can do their own homework and should especially if they have concerns about the heat.

People can believe anecdotal observations from someone who "goes to the beach a lot" or someone who lives there and has his entire life. I stand by my statements. I did not say it is never hot at the beach nor did I say "all the time" but the temp difference most summer afternoons oceanfront can be several degrees lower than and considerably more comfortable than the Publix parking lot across the street from the beach you want to compare it to.

My observations have been especially true several hot days in the last few weeks.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
People can believe anecdotal observations from someone who "goes to the beach a lot" or someone who lives there and has his entire life. I stand by my statements. I did not say it is never hot at the beach nor did I say "all the time" but the temp difference most summer afternoons oceanfront can be several degrees lower than and considerably more comfortable than the Publix parking lot across the street from the beach you want to compare it to.

My observations have been especially true several hot days in the last few weeks.
Several degrees less than 91 down to 87 is meaningless to most people. To people who don't like or tolerate heat well it will be less than meaningless.

Not sure why you keep bringing up the grocery store, but I guess you didn't understand the point. I wasn't comparing sitting somewhere oceanfront to the Publix. Just saying that once you get up to engage in the normal daily activities that most of us engage in and step away from the ocean front breeze it makes little difference because you are in the same sweltering heat everyone else in FL is in.

In any case, the heat index is going to be 101-105 depending where you are today. No way the beach or anything oceanfront is comfortable unless you are sitting under an umbrella in the water with a gale force breeze blowing on you lol.

And frankly, if you have lived all your life oceanfront in FL you are probably the last person anyone coming from a cooler climate should listen to. Natives imo tend to have a much higher tolerance for the heat.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:05 AM

989 posts, read 774,864 times
Quote:

Do you live in or near S. Colony? Thee is a Publix off the street from there

Old 07-19-2018, 10:46 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,112,991 times
Quote:
Several degrees less than 91 down to 87 is meaningless to most people. To people who don't like or tolerate heat well it will be less than meaningless.

Not sure why you keep bringing up the grocery store, but I guess you didn't understand the point. I wasn't comparing sitting somewhere oceanfront to the Publix. Just saying that once you get up to engage in the normal daily activities that most of us engage in and step away from the ocean front breeze it makes little difference because you are in the same sweltering heat everyone else in FL is in.

In any case, the heat index is going to be 101-105 depending where you are today. No way the beach or anything oceanfront is comfortable unless you are sitting under an umbrella in the water with a gale force breeze blowing on you lol.

And frankly, if you have lived all your life oceanfront in FL you are probably the last person anyone coming from a cooler climate should listen to. Natives imo tend to have a much higher tolerance for the heat.
No one is saying that you will be dramatically cooler but if you google heat index. Right now Orlando 95, Miami Beach 91. Now BOTH are hot and you would be an idiot to be walking around in either in midday. But the fact still stands that ocean side is cooler because of the breezes is science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement