Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:38 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,436,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Why do you need 2500 sq ft?

I would be happy with half that + a screen porch on an older block cottage. That substantially reduces what my housing costs would be.
I didn't say you needed it. No one needs it. Plenty of people want more than 2000 sq ft as well as that pool in the back that you also wont be getting at median price points.

Goes back to what I said before.....median price points don't represent most peoples idea of an average to nice middle class home.

Take away the fact of being in an over 55 community, and the example MadMan posted is more what people see as an average to nicer middle class home. Its not available at median price point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 07:48 AM

989 posts, read 768,992 times
We have lived in Florida for 13 years. In order to get a well made home in a nice'ish area close to amenities, reasonably close to shops and services etc. You really need to start at about $300k. Any less than that and you are compromising on something. At least around where we live.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:46 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,547,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
We have lived in Florida for 13 years. In order to get a well made home in a nice'ish area close to amenities, reasonably close to shops and services etc. You really need to start at about $300k. Any less than that and you are compromising on something. At least around where we live.
HOw about a condo with great amenities in a great location? Can it be had under $200k?

Old 08-14-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
HOw about a condo with great amenities in a great location? Can it be had under $200k?
Nope, at least not in our area or anywhere we have seen where we would want to live. You get what you pay for, Condo HOAs are quite high also.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:47 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
The days of cheap retirement homes near major cities is long gone. I doubt it exists anywhere in the country nowadays. I remember when family members moved to Florida decades ago, homes were so cheap that they paid cash for them. Now, people would be hard pressed to come up with $300,000+ for a place. Jay

Old 08-14-2018, 02:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
Where are you located in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post

Old 08-14-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Where are you located in Florida?
North East Florida

Old 08-14-2018, 05:09 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,443 times
If your living on the Gulf Coast, close to the beach; from Naples on up to Tampa, the current Red Tide issue could cost you your health, down the road I expect a RE fire sale, from those that can afford to bail.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:24 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times
With the strong impacts of extreme weather now frequent, due to climate changes, I think that places that automatically used to be considered great retirement places and dreams, no longer necessarily are.....

due to extreme heat, much more intense hurricanes, storm surge on the ocean similar to tsunamis which destroy ocean front and/or houses near the ocean, extreme flooding, quick very deep floods, more intense storms, dust storms, uncontrolled very damaging fires on large masses of land, huge landslides, toxic algae, unclean air, toxic levels of air pollution...........

Last edited by matisse12; 08-14-2018 at 05:34 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 08:53 AM

The cheapest places to live in Florida are inland. Not exactly my idea of a good retirement. To add to that all the newer developments seem to be in "Sinkhole" Ally. I am sure because the land is cheap.

Again, inland the weather is brutal IMHO. In reality, one needs at least $400k to get something nice within 5 miles of the beach. We know because we are looking to downsize. For that you get a wood frame home, again not my preference. You need to Add $100 to that for concrete or concrete block. These are real numbers where we are, not speculation. but we do live in a nice area with all the services within a 5 mile radius. It is not much good living in an area where the home prices are cheap and the nearest Emergency room is more than 30 minutes away. As one gets older one needs those types of services closer, especially if you anticipate needing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement