Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 12:05 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Do you live in or near S. Colony? Thee is a Publix off the street from there

Nope. Brevard County. I can think of five Publix stores in this county that are across the street from the ocean on A1A.

Wind out of the southwest today. No sea breeze and it's hot even here on the ocean but don't take my word for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 12:23 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
HOWEVER, the point if the post was how affordable it is. Their estimations are way OTT unless you want to live in a swamp some place in a shack with no services around you. You could get some nice Apartments for those home prices in 2010, but not now. A nice Apartment style condo will cost you >$200k in a nice area.
That's ridiculous. We have relatives who live in Solivita, which is an extremely nice 55+ Active Community about 20 or so miles south of Disney World. There are plenty of wonderful homes in that community that are under the article's estimated cost of $229k. There are even plenty of nice homes for sale that are less than the $200k. Here's a link to a very nice looking 2500 square foot, 3bedroom, 2bath home, with a pool in an enclosed patio, that backs up to a conservation area. Here's a link to the property:

117 KNOLL WOOD DRIVE, POINCIANA, FL 34759 - SolivitaSales.com (407) 414-8514

And here's a short 2-minute promotional video on Solivita itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cPylFCHqLk

Now after taking a look at the 26 photos of that house for sale, as well as the video on Solivita, do you still want to hold to your opinion that you can only live in a shack in some swamp somewhere with no services for the estimated housing cost used in the article?

Old 07-19-2018, 12:28 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
No one is saying that you will be dramatically cooler but if you google heat index. Right now Orlando 95, Miami Beach 91. Now BOTH are hot and you would be an idiot to be walking around in either in midday. But the fact still stands that ocean side is cooler because of the breezes is science.
Well yes actually that is what people have been saying using words like significantly and dramatically etc. lol

But, really we are agreeing. Whatever the reduction in degrees of temperature once its in the high mid 80's to 90's there is no real practical benefit to it being a few degrees cooler one place or the other. Certainly not enough to use that as a criteria for deciding whether you want to live at the beach or not.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:10 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Everyone who I know who complains about the weather or traffic moved to the west coast of Florida or further south or just visit Orlando in August. I lived in upstate South Carolina and though we had 4 seasons, summer could be brutal. Walk out the door and hit a brick wall hot. I live in Port Orange about 8 miles from the water and we do get breezes though not all the time. When they do come up it is quite comfortable in the shade, but when they are gone it is hot..so we do all our activities after dinner when the temps drop and the breezes pick up. Most retirees have the ability to travel so they do so during the hotter months. Notice all the RV's and the RV garage doors, they are there for a reason.

However, I don't get the bashing. So, Florida is not for everyone but then neither is the mountains or the middle of Iowa but someone likes it as people live there. This thread is more about the accuracy of the article and not it's too hot to live in Florida. You don't like Florida, ok, no one is forcing you to move here.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:14 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's ridiculous. We have relatives who live in Solivita, which is an extremely nice 55+ Active Community about 20 or so miles south of Disney World. There are plenty of wonderful homes in that community that are under the article's estimated cost of $229k. There are even plenty of nice homes for sale that are less than the $200k. Here's a link to a very nice looking 2500 square foot, 3bedroom, 2bath home, with a pool in an enclosed patio, that backs up to a conservation area. Here's a link to the property:

Now after taking a look at the 26 photos of that house for sale, as well as the video on Solivita, do you still want to hold to your opinion that you can only live in a shack in some swamp somewhere with no services for the estimated housing cost used in the article?
If I could blast my wife away from the grandchildren, I would jump on a place like that, even if I had to carry a small mortgage.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:21 PM

989 posts, read 769,481 times
We would rather live close to the beach than close to Orlando. The Temperature differences are noticeable in the summer. Proper homes, (Not Mobiles or MFGs) are more than $200k within 5 miles from the beach. Also concrete block homes are preferred in Florida and they cost more also. I did not say you could not do it. Just that it is NOT the dream home or area. Also you do pay for having excellent healthcare within 10 minutes of one's home too.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:

While the house is fine, I don't really see this as a fair comparison to places like Orlando.

Solivita and Poincietta are basically out in the middle of nowhere with few amenities available in the way of shopping/restaurants, etc.

Further, even when/if they build more, you will probably need to speak Spanish to use them as over 50% of the Poincietta population is Puerto Rican/Dominican. Poincietta's nickname is Little Puerto Rico. As well as you may not want to use them anyway as a lot of the area that borders Solvita is higher than avg crime. I've heard gangs mentioned in that area, but I have no idea if that's true.

The pricing on this house seems off to me. You cant find that square footage in a similar style house in the rest of Poincietta for anything close to that price. Seems like a gated Solivta house would cost more, not less. Makes me wonder why?

But, Poincietta is exactly the type of place I am wary of in FL because it is nothing more than a huge housing development. There is no town. If it goes bad, then Solivita probably goes with it.

There was also a lawsuit going on between some of the residents and the developer. Don't know if that was ever resolved.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:54 PM

863 posts, read 795,799 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous.

Well, I just looked at one realty site. I was shocked that EVERY SINGLE ONE of the 1273 homes listed in Orlando that were under 250k with at least 3 beds and 2 baths were in a swamp, ran by non-English speaking slum lords and not a single one was within 50 miles of any kind of medical care.

Hyperbole...of course, but that is what a lot of this thread is.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Well, I just looked at one realty site. I was shocked that EVERY SINGLE ONE of the 1273 homes listed in Orlando that were under 250k with at least 3 beds and 2 baths were in a swamp, ran by non-English speaking slum lords and not a single one was within 50 miles of any kind of medical care.

Hyperbole...of course, but that is what a lot of this thread is.
What's not hyperbole is that you for sure are not getting a 2500 sq ft home at MEDIAN price point in any of the cities referenced or in Poinciana for that matter.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
What's not hyperbole is that you for sure are not getting a 2500 sq ft home at MEDIAN price point in any of the cities referenced or in Poinciana for that matter.
Why do you need 2500 sq ft?

I would be happy with half that + a screen porch on an older block cottage. That substantially reduces what my housing costs would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement