Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 01:36 AM

534 posts, read 489,655 times

Advertisements

I'm so happy for you, and I totally understand! I grew up in southern CA and my grandparents lived in Henderson, Nevada and Sedona, AZ. Then I went away to college and ended up spending 25 years in the midwest. I never got used to it, it never felt like home. I finally left 4 years ago and I'll remain somewhere in the southwest forever from here on out! I tried CA, but since I remember the days when Orange County actually had, you know, oranges (and strawberry fields!), modern CA does nothing for me. Southwest for the win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 02:13 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
If you come from a state like Minnesota, where you are limited to planting Zone 4 plants, and you come down here to the Tucson area and you find that you can plant Zone 9 plants, going to a Nursery here is like a kid going to a candy store. You want one of each! Even though I'm in a mobile home park (co-op actually), we can plant pretty much what we want, except for trees, where we need approval. I was turned down for a Mesquite or Palo Verde tree, but they approved a very beautiful Mastic tree, a white-barked tree from the Mediterranean.

I have over 30 plants planted already, 2 Guava's and tomorrow I dig the hole for a dwarf Tangerine tree. I planted 2 Red Fairy Dusters because the bees go crazy over them, when fully mature you can't go within 2 feet of them. I've also planted plants that attract butterflies and hummingbirds. I still have some ground left to plant things, and I'm sure it will fill up fast, thanks to Harlow Gardens. Actually, too close to my house, less than a mile!

Being in an apartment, Meo, you're missing out on all the gardening fun!

Old 10-22-2018, 06:11 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Evenings it's the beautiful sunset or just the majestic of the mountains.

I was so unhappy in Minnesota, especially during the winter and I feel so blessed. I have a nice apartment, wonderful weather, the beautiful mountains and a cat I love and adore.

I had to have an appointment at my clinic recently and they have a procedure where a person evaluates your daily health if you're elder. Never heard of it before, but whatever. I was figiting because my back was giving out and I mentioned that I had to leave soon because of that reason.

I explained about the car accident and the subsequent back injury. I then said I'd come to terms with it because, realistically I should not have survived. So, each day is a blessing.

And it is. So glad I moved to the sunshine and the mountains. Thank your Dee, who encouraged me to visit.

Sometimes I just feel so blessed.

I'm happy to hear that you are so happy. Enjoy the rest of your life out there.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:33 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times
So glad to hear you've found your happy place Meo. It's great when it comes together and you can finally say "I'm so happy". That's how we feel after moving here to east TN. We thought we were fine before, but now we are in our happy place and our plans have all worked out. So happy FOR YOU.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:52 AM

496 posts, read 412,022 times
So happy for you Meo!! I have really enjoyed following your journey and I am thrilled that you love where you have landed!

Old 10-22-2018, 08:55 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
I love keeping up with folks on this forum. I worry when I do not see them post.

cyberfriends, I guess.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I love keeping up with folks on this forum. I worry when I do not see them post.

cyberfriends, I guess.
consider they may have found 'their spot' and now be out enjoying themselves!
marvel at how happy I am now

Old 10-22-2018, 09:42 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Congrats, but I am also glad that some people want other climates and environments. Imagine most of the US population crammed into one region. Yikes.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:10 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,641,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Evenings it's the beautiful sunset or just the majestic of the mountains.

I was so unhappy in Minnesota, especially during the winter and I feel so blessed. I have a nice apartment, wonderful weather, the beautiful mountains and a cat I love and adore.

I had to have an appointment at my clinic recently and they have a procedure where a person evaluates your daily health if you're elder. Never heard of it before, but whatever. I was figiting because my back was giving out and I mentioned that I had to leave soon because of that reason.

I explained about the car accident and the subsequent back injury. I then said I'd come to terms with it because, realistically I should not have survived. So, each day is a blessing.

And it is. So glad I moved to the sunshine and the mountains. Thank your Dee, who encouraged me to visit.

Sometimes I just feel so blessed.
Good for you.

If you’re on Medicare now, they do pay for an annual “wellness visit” and a lot of docs that accept Medicare patients like to do it because it’s not much work and it’s a sure thing that Medicare covers. It’s a good idea too because it gives them a defined baseline for your health based on a standardized set of questions and tests.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:38 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,182 times
Hey I didn't know her story and I'm absolutely grateful that she posted that she's happy.

I'm one year from retirement and I've been doing my pre retirement research. Do you know how many times I read "Be afraid if you don't have 12 million bucks because health cost are going to ruin you". "Be afraid because emergencies are going to wipe you out".

One of the first questions I asked when joining late last year was "is anyone happy or having a good time in retirement?' because it seems to me the vast majority of stories here are doom and gloom.

Op as someone who is relatively new and hasn't followed any particular post, yours is a refreshing change.

Wishing you continued happiness in your chosen life.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 10-22-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement