Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:58 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
congratulations!

Cats are phenomenal companions. We have 2 and they just make everything better. I'd climb a burning building for them I swear. I encourage anyone , if you can take care of them, to go to your local shelter and adopt one or two.
My cat was so funny at first. I went to the shelter and asked which was the oldest and had been there the longest.

Marigold was five and had been there five months. She was dropped off just before she had kittens. I don't know what happened to her kittens.

I felt so sorry for her and knew I had to get her out of that cage. I shudder to think what she must have gone through.

When I brought her home, she investigated the apartment and decided it was okay. Not that I was okay, but she would consent to living there. She had a real trust issue.

It took quite a while before she trusted me but now she usually sleeps with me and she sits next to me on the recliner. I love her so much and am so glad we found each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 05:26 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,759,896 times
I love my cats too and it makes me happy to read about your Marigold. I’ve also been happy to follow your move last year. There is a lot of relocation tire-kicking in the retirement forum, and while there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, it’s nice to see it actually happen with a positive outcome.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:57 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Couldn't rep you again Jean.

It was strange with Marigold because cats usually love me and climb all over me. But, with her, it took a long time. When she wants petting she will climb on my lap but she usually just wants to be close.

Once she trusted me she made sure she touched part of me. Not snuggling, but touching. I often feel honored that she has placed her trust in me.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:25 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,251,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It was strange with Marigold because cats usually love me and climb all over me. But, with her, it took a long time. When she wants petting she will climb on my lap but she usually just wants to be close.

Once she trusted me she made sure she touched part of me. Not snuggling, but touching. I often feel honored that she has placed her trust in me.

meo, I'm so jealous! Macchiato still won't allow me to pick him up, and the only time he gets close is to sit next to me on the couch so I can pet him. Snuggle or sleep in bed with me? No way! He will chatter at me in the morning, but doesn't really want the closeness that I had with my previous cats

When I brought him home from the shelter, he hid in my closet or under the bed for over two weeks. He only came out to use the litter box, or get water and food. It took him three months to sit on the couch with me. December it will be two years that I've had him. I've come to accept that our life is on HIS terms! lol

Old 10-24-2018, 06:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
I adopted two from the SPCA. GG came first and took a little time to adjust. She is a muted calico. She had been brought to the SPCA with her sibling and her sibling got adopted. So she was alone, a small cat, and very withdrawn. So I'm happy she came home with me where she could feel safe and loved.

My second cat, Sam, is a big orange male. Very loving but quite nervous. He is getting there, more trust every day. The two of them get along fine but Sam is bigger by about 3 lbs. and at times gets too rough on his "sister."
I just saw a picture of a sweet cat who was in a shelter, an older cat who hadn't been adopted yet. The text that went with the picture read something like this..... she is waiting for her real permanent home...... will it be you? or God?
Oh my gosh, I wish I could get her. Where I live allows one cat but I managed to get a second one and I'm so glad I did.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:39 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I moved to Arizona.
Winter weather can be depressing, glad to see a change in scenary and weather did the trick.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:09 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Winter weather can be depressing, glad to see a change in scenary and weather did the trick.
And there you are in Hawaii, Rocko? Good for you.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
I left MN when I was 53 and I was happy to go somewhere else. I could already see that living there would become harder as I got older. It was no fun shoveling, mowing, and raking all the time. Usually I was still out raking as the snow was falling. And winter driving conditions are hard on cars too. They have to be replaced more often. And endless months of dreary.

Summer is too hot here but the rest of the year is perfect. And you don't have to mow, rake, and shovel sunshine. I am glad you got out. Right now you would be staring another winter straight in the face!

Old 10-24-2018, 04:30 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
meo, I'm so jealous! Macchiato still won't allow me to pick him up, and the only time he gets close is to sit next to me on the couch so I can pet him. Snuggle or sleep in bed with me? No way! He will chatter at me in the morning, but doesn't really want the closeness that I had with my previous cats

When I brought him home from the shelter, he hid in my closet or under the bed for over two weeks. He only came out to use the litter box, or get water and food. It took him three months to sit on the couch with me. December it will be two years that I've had him. I've come to accept that our life is on HIS terms! lol
You never know with cats. For the first two years we had our big ginger guy, he was friendly but had no interest in hopping up in our laps. We even used to kid about him sure not being a lap cat. Then all of a sudden that changed and he loved in being up in our lap or on the footstool of a recliner with us.

And then there was our black cat. She had been in a shelter for over a year when we got her. She spent two years living in our bedroom with no desire to come out and we had come to the conclusion that was going to be it forever. Then that changed, and bit by bit she started coming out to socialize. You can now find her any evening (and sometimes during the day) either on my wife's lap or on the footstool of the recliner.

Keep your fingers crossed; maybe two years will be the turning point for Macchiato.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I left MN when I was 53 and I was happy to go somewhere else. I could already see that living there would become harder as I got older. It was no fun shoveling, mowing, and raking all the time. Usually I was still out raking as the snow was falling. And winter driving conditions are hard on cars too. They have to be replaced more often. And endless months of dreary.

Summer is too hot here but the rest of the year is perfect. And you don't have to mow, rake, and shovel sunshine. I am glad you got out. Right now you would be staring another winter straight in the face!
Could you have moved to a place where all those extra chores were not your responsibility? I want to be chore free as I age. Chores are for kids - lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement