Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:51 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

I'm one year from retirement and I've been doing my pre retirement research. Do you know how many times I read "Be afraid if you don't have 12 million bucks because health cost are going to ruin you". "Be afraid because emergencies are going to wipe you out".

One of the first questions I asked when joining late last year was "is anyone happy or having a good time in retirement?' because 99% of the stories here are doom and gloom.
I had no idea that "99% of the stories here are doom and gloom". Or that it seems that way to you. I don't think that's an accurate perception. At least, I do not share that perception of the Retirement forum.

I'm thrilled to be retired, and still thrilled 8 years later. Absolutely love not needing to work for a living - after 38 years of working.

As for those who feel they need millions (who you are perhaps referring to on Retirement forum and/or articles about the topic), it's just not something many of us are a part of, the majority are not.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-22-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 11:21 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,422 times
Well done OP, Ive been to Arizona, and I like flatland with the view of mountains in the distance, and dry hot weather. I can definitely relate to finding happiness in those sunrises and sunsets. I might follow in your footsteps and retire there when my time comes.

Matter of fact, if you could keep posting descriptions of what keeps your happiness and tranquility there, it would be something great to follow.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:02 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I had no idea that "99% of the stories here are doom and gloom". Or that it seems that way to you. I don't think that's an accurate perception. At least, I do not share that perception of the Retirement forum.

I'm thrilled to be retired, and still thrilled 8 years later. Absolutely love not needing to work for a living - after 38 years of working.

As for those who feel they need millions (who you are perhaps referring to on Retirement forum and/or articles about the topic), it's just not something many of us are a part of, the majority are not.
Ok. I'll change it to "the vast majority". enough that when someone says they are pretty happy in retirement I'm surprised.

This is just my view from not being retired yet.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:05 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
am just happy for you meo

Old 10-22-2018, 12:26 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Hey I didn't know her story and I'm absolutely grateful that she posted that she's happy.

I'm one year from retirement and I've been doing my pre retirement research. Do you know how many times I read "Be afraid if you don't have 12 million bucks because health cost are going to ruin you". "Be afraid because emergencies are going to wipe you out".

One of the first questions I asked when joining late last year was "is anyone happy or having a good time in retirement?' because it seems to me the vast majority of stories here are doom and gloom.

Op as someone who is relatively new and hasn't followed any particular post, yours is a refreshing change.

Wishing you continued happiness in your chosen life.
I'm in about the same boat you are in...and that "bridge" in healthcare cost to Medicare does weigh on my mind a bit. Looking at a potential $20,000 per year does make one pause.

One just has to prepare as best as possible. We can't be worrying about all potential emergencies, otherwise we'd drive ourselves nuts.

I think we tend to see more doom and gloom because those people want to share their stories so others can learn. Plus it makes for more interesting reading. How many more are enjoying their retirement and free time (away from City-Data doom and gloom!!!)???!!! This move we made just gave me a taste of how things will be, and we like it!!!

Old 10-22-2018, 01:40 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Congrats, so glad to hear you are content and happy. AZ is a special state...wouldn't mind living there myself

Old 10-22-2018, 05:39 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Evenings it's the beautiful sunset or just the majestic of the mountains.

I was so unhappy in Minnesota, especially during the winter and I feel so blessed. I have a nice apartment, wonderful weather, the beautiful mountains and a cat I love and adore.

I had to have an appointment at my clinic recently and they have a procedure where a person evaluates your daily health if you're elder. Never heard of it before, but whatever. I was figiting because my back was giving out and I mentioned that I had to leave soon because of that reason.

I explained about the car accident and the subsequent back injury. I then said I'd come to terms with it because, realistically I should not have survived. So, each day is a blessing.

And it is. So glad I moved to the sunshine and the mountains. Thank your Dee, who encouraged me to visit.

Sometimes I just feel so blessed.
That's wonderful. Glad to hear you are happy in your new locale.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:35 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,288,650 times
I was a bit worried because it was my first summer here but, due to the elevation, I was very surprised that, to me, it wasn't that uncomfortable. Staying out of the sun during peak hours, which a retired person can easily do, is the key. And now it will be beautiful weather from here on out.

Tij, I do miss having a garden but, since the back operation I can't bend. THAT took me a long time to adjust to. Try not bending sometime. It's tough.

I think I was actually lucky that my last year in Minnesota was not great. The winter was really hard on me and the last summer the sky was more gray than blue. Then you have the humidity which sometimes feels like you could cut it with a knife. And don't forget the abundance of mosquitoes.

There were a couple of nights that had a beautiful sunset and we all rushed out to see it. That's how rare it was.

That wasn't a typical year. If it had been people would be moving out in droves. But, it was bad enough, to me, that I really appreciated the beauty and warmth of Arizona when I visited and fell in love with the state.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:23 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So you are happier living in Minnesota in an apartment? That’s what you implied in your first post.

It would be helpful to know where you moved. Not everyone has been folllewing your every post
I am beyond surprised that an "old timer" like yourself, would not have noticed the upper right hand corner of the post. That gives us your location - provided that the poster filled it in!!

Old 10-22-2018, 07:59 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,500,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So you are happier living in Minnesota in an apartment? That’s what you implied in your first post.

It would be helpful to know where you moved. Not everyone has been folllewing your every post
Unlike you to be so rude. She said she was so unhappy in Minnesota. Now she has......If you look at her Location on her posting page it says where she is in Arizona.

Bad day? Need to talk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement