Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 05:10 PM

7,164 posts, read 4,562,630 times

Advertisements

Submariner, all the retired military people I know retiring in their early 40’s went onto second careers. Many went to state employment and now have 2 pensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 05:13 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,386,358 times
I could retire in my late 50's mostly because I had a government job. A reduction in force layoff that late in my career would have entitled me to an early pension, social security supplement to age 62, and to health insurance at the same cost as while working. I had almost paid off my house and had a moderate sized 401k. Assuming that it would have been hard to find another job, I would have accepted the situation and made do with my income. Downsize the house and live more modestly.

But I agree with matisse that 4 years can make a huge difference. Working to age 62 significantly increased my retirement income and allowed a higher standard of living. Those extra years allowed a few more years of maximum contributions to the 401k and Roth, a thriving stock market to grow the 401k, being able to save some cash after paying off the house, an increase in pension, and ensuring 35 good earning years for social security as my part-time college earning years were replaced. Working a few more years can make a big difference if you have a good job.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:15 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,157,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You don't think any women or people of color have been fired? I've seen all types of people fired for many reasons.
Women and "people of color" are infinitely more protected than older white males. I'm sure you *have* seen all types of people fired for all types of reasons, but I can assure you that white males are let go, or not even hired in the first place, for no good reason except the sin of being a white male. I have heard (anecdotally from credible people) and read of so many cases of this it is not even debatable to me. And I have seen with my own eyes incompetent "people of color" kept and coddled to avoid lawsuits and accusations of racism.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:18 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,096,830 times
I was forced into retirement at age 58.5 due to being terminated from the army. My employment was contingent upon my continued service so there were clauses in my contract. I also did what I was supposed to do in preparing for retirement. Oh I might have been able to find a job but doing what? But I was compensated for being forced out before age 62 with a supplement to my income. There is no way to be able to survive in retirement if you are not prepared.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:36 PM

37,628 posts, read 46,045,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like To Post View Post
I read somewhere that most people expect to work well into their late 60s. It is hip according to the media to work well into your life. (Early retirement used to be hip but that is so 20th Century!)

Well, many of the employers' of people in my parents' generation did not get the memo because many people are losing their career well-paying jobs in their mid to late 50s due to reorganizations, layoffs, terminations, and general corporate cutbacks. (Whatever you want to call them!)

Many people that age don't want to retire from full-time work but society and business, who love younger cheaper workers, disagree.

Any stories about your friends and family who lost their career jobs from 55-65 years old and what happened to them when they tried to get back on the corporate treadmill?
First, I don't consider 62-65 to really be "early". Most of the people I know that have retired, actually retired by 65. I don't know anyone that *had* to retire due to losing their jobs.

I plan to retire at 66 personally.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:48 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,287,937 times
It happened to me at the end of 2018. I was laid off at 57. They had been cutting the older people for a number of years and so, I had a target on my back. I know a few people who got hit this year. Each year it's another round.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get another job right away, but it involved me moving for it. It could happen again to me here, but every year that I can hang on is another year where I can sock away the savings. Luckily, I am debt free (except for mortgage) and have no children, so I have that going for me.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:54 PM

813 posts, read 601,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Been There and Done That. Nuclear Power seems to have an abudance of older engineers - some in their 80's! Nuke is where I landed at age 56. A true learning experience.
Best of luck to you!
Strange, I was a nuke-drop-hero in the Navy, and my name is Roger.

Rg

Old 01-29-2020, 07:13 PM

4,281 posts, read 5,942,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Strange, I was a nuke-drop-hero in the Navy, and my name is Roger.

Rg
Navy Nukes are the most desirable of all engineers for Nuclear Plants!
I came from Design and Construction for the Auto Industry but a massive fan is a massive fan, a massive pump is a massive pump, and a cooling tower is a cooling tower. Just keep me away from the reactor.

If interested in temporary gigs look at the RoadTech web site for contracted engineering positions at Nuke Plants.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 01-29-2020 at 07:29 PM..

Old 01-29-2020, 08:35 PM

132 posts, read 97,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like To Post View Post

Any stories about your friends and family who lost their career jobs from 55-65 years old and what happened to them when they tried to get back on the corporate treadmill?
Yes - me.

I have been laid off several times over my career. The most notable was in April of 2016 when I was 60.

I figured I would work 'til 65 or so. In 2016 I had been with my employer for 13 years. This is pretty typical of large companies. When cuts are made they go after the higher salaries. I was at the top of my earning power.

I figured I would have to take less in my next role. I bled the six months of severance and then took a temporary assignment a the local community college system for half of what I had been making. Then I got a call from my previous employer and was hired back in at my old salary in February 2017. I felt very fortunate to get my old salary (different role) at age 61.

Then the hammer fell again at age 63 in September 2019. I was going to quit sometime after March 2020 anyway so that was fine.

It's often hard to hang on to your great salary in the private sector when you're 55+. I was able to save pretty well after the kids got out of college so I am done with the corporate gig.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:27 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,720,371 times
The hardest hit are people who had children in their 40s. There are some 60 year olds who still have children in high school or college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement