Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 01:04 PM

9 posts, read 8,488 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that most people expect to work well into their late 60s. It is hip according to the media to work well into your life. (Early retirement used to be hip but that is so 20th Century!)

Well, many of the employers' of people in my parents' generation did not get the memo because many people are losing their career well-paying jobs in their mid to late 50s due to reorganizations, layoffs, terminations, and general corporate cutbacks. (Whatever you want to call them!)

Many people that age don't want to retire from full-time work but society and business, who love younger cheaper workers, disagree.

Any stories about your friends and family who lost their career jobs from 55-65 years old and what happened to them when they tried to get back on the corporate treadmill?

Last edited by Like To Post; 10-24-2018 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 01:21 PM

17,248 posts, read 57,319,440 times
A friend got laid off in his late 50's, was right down the hall from me. He got a small pension and the continuing health care, which right now would cost about $1000 per month for a couple. He did a few contract jobs "on the road" but is now right down the road with a regular job again.

I almost had to bail in my late 50's, with a paid for house and no kids, I would have been OK, but was glad to dodge that bullet. I guess I would have done similar to my friend.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:25 PM

16,374 posts, read 10,565,878 times
I'll be 60 in March and I"m close to being financially independent but not quite. I don't know too many people my age who are.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:27 PM

23,642 posts, read 19,471,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like To Post View Post
I read somewhere that most people expect to work well into their late 60s. It is hip according to the media to work well into your life. (Early retirement used to be hip but that is so 20th Century!)

Well, many of the employers'of people in my parents' generation did not get the memo because many people are losing their career well-paying jobs in their mid to late 50s due to reorganizations, layoffs, terminations, and general corporate cutbacks. (Whatever you want to call them!)

Many people that age don't want to retire from full-time work but society and business, who love younger cheaper workers, disagree.

Any stories about your friends and family who lost their career jobs from 55-65 years old and what happened to them when they tried to get back on the corporate treadmill?
What does this have to do with retirement? This question probably belongs in the Work and Employment subforum. If someone is forced out of a job and they can't/don't want to retire, they have to go find another job. Maybe they decide not to get back on the treadmill and do something different. They decide to downsize their expectations and their finances. Just because you don't want to do something doesn't mean you don't have to face it.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:28 PM

28,744 posts, read 18,983,560 times
I'd have been better off in my late 40s before my daughter started college than I was in my late 50s.

In my mid 60s now, and I'm going to retire from working full-time at something that's not my dream next year, well-set for it.

I'll still be working, but it will be what I want to do for as many hours as I want to do it.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:30 PM

9 posts, read 8,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What does this have to do with retirement? This question probably belongs in the Work and Employment subforum. If someone is forced out of a job and they can't/don't want to retire, they have to go find another job. Maybe they decide not to get back on the treadmill and do something different. They decide to downsize their expectations and their finances. Just because you don't want to do something doesn't mean you don't have to face it.
It has everything to do with retirement because not all retirements are pleasant and full of travel and golf. Many are forced retirement without the money before they were ready.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:00 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,086,273 times
In another forum here, there was a story about a New Yorker who took his own life after a divorce and the subsequent departure from his current job. He was well into his 50's for these events and after several hundred interviews, failed to obtain meaningful employment. Sadly, his decisions took its toll and he was arrested for a drive-through incident which added to his misery. He was literally dead-broke when he committed suicide and his body remained in the car for they think, two weeks before someone noticed him.

I'm sure there's a lot more to this story but at least on the surface, his decisions and events rendered him completely unprepared for retirement. His fault? Someone else's fault? Yeah...all of the above. I'm sorry life treated him so badly.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:24 PM

17,683 posts, read 22,462,257 times
I know an NFL player that wanted to play one more year. He felt his stats were still relevant but they explained they could draft a college player that could put up the same stats for about 1/3 of what the league would have required them to pay my friend. He got cut, even after 2 Superbowls.

The extra cash would have bolstered his retirement but mentally he wasn't ready to sit down.

So whether on the field or "in the field" the forced retirement could hit anyone. I am personally not ready for retirement but I could "make it work" if it happened to me tomorrow.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 4,409,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'll be 60 in March and I"m close to being financially independent but not quite. I don't know too many people my age who are.
We are roughly the same age. We could retire now, but plan to work for a few more years to build our dream house in the mountains.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:59 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,086,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We are roughly the same age. We could retire now, but plan to work for a few more years to build our dream house in the mountains.
Just hit 60 but the wife won't hit it for a few more years. I elected to work until they no longer need me for similar reasons to yours. It'll allow us to purchase the property we want and cash-flow a good bit of the development process related to new land/new home/maybe new barn/etc. If I retired now, we could still pull it off but we'd have to add a modicum of discipline to the budget process. Every extra month I work adds a little more to the kitty. I like a fat, happy kitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement