Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 06:51 AM

10,036 posts, read 8,725,301 times

Advertisements

Staying up all night watching TV in the summer. First the Late Show, then the Late Late Show followed by the Late Late Late Show. That was followed by the station signing off with jets flying and the Star Spangled Banner and then a test pattern for about 10 minutes and finally all stations were off the air. An hour later one would come on with farm reports of hog and wheat prices.

Once a week at school we had Show & Tell and I felt obligated to always bring something, didn't want to feel left out. One of my elderly aunts was staying with us and she kept her false teeth in the bathroom soaking in a cup of water. I actually took them to school for Show & Tell. She was extremely pissed when I got home.

I started to collect Get Smart trading cards until our dog chewed them up, I think I cried. Our parents would buy those boxes of those little bags of potato chips for our school lunches and I would always look for the Frito Bandito pencil eraser in them but never found one. I ended up swiping one from some kid at school.

I can remember putting a tooth under my pillow at night and hearing my mom putting a dime under there. Later I could feel my brother's hand under my pillow making a withdrawal.

Every kid had a Spyder bike and a lot of them would put extension pipes on the forks and long sissy bars on the back to make them look like choppers. That fad didn't last long, the pipes would always bend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 07:41 AM

25,452 posts, read 9,882,427 times
I remember sitting on my dad's lap and "driving" our '56 Chevrolet.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:20 AM

11,141 posts, read 6,737,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I remember sitting on my dad's lap and "driving" our '56 Chevrolet.
I remember that too---on the deserted rural dirt roads. Even so, he got pulled over by the sheriff and reprimanded. But even more fun, he used to let us sit on the hood while he drove slowly, lol.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:25 AM

11,141 posts, read 6,737,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
My dad worked for Boeing Aircraft when I was growing up. He was a bio-chemist and used rainbow trout to test effluent water. We had a 5 gpm spring on our land and he told me if I built ponds he would bring trout home. A friend and I dug the ponds and my dad started bringing trout home in garbage cans. We fed and grew those fish until some were about 20 inches long. We had a blast fishing for them. One fall day, we had a big windstorm and the water source got plugged, killing all the fish.

Fast forward 15 years and I worked for Oregon Fish and Wildlife raising rainbow trout. We stocked trout in the Mckenzie river in Oregon. I enjoyed a 31 year career with ODFW and got to do what my dad wanted to do but couldn't. Great memories!
McKenzie River! That was my first kayaking experience. Our friends owned the "Osprey Inn" and they took us down the river. I remember her saying "Liquid Courage!" and passing around tequila before hitting the rapids.

I worked at the Log Cabin Inn---remember that? I think it burned down later....

Old 03-13-2022, 12:29 PM

395 posts, read 284,516 times
The sound of the mechanical cash registers at the grocery store.
The sound of the Helms Bakery truck whistle.
The canvas desert water bag we kept hanging from the radiator neck of our car.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,804,326 times
I recently bought a 1974 Nova, and yesterday was tinkering with it and removed the non-working AM radio. Later as I ordered a new modern AM/FM with auxiliary inputs I realized that with only AM there is very little to listen to. Even our local sports radio station has gone to FM. I also did some testing to see what was working or needed fixing. Remember the floor switch for high beams? (mine works) I lubricated the hinges on the back license plate which reveals the gas cap. The horn works nicely too, and brings back memories. It's a real horn, not that feeble little toot that they have now. The original bumper jack is still in the trunk, apparently never used since the 48 year old factory zip-tie is still holding the lug wrench onto it.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:24 PM

5,268 posts, read 3,643,831 times
Last night my brother & I were talking about going to automats to eat when we were young. You put a dime in the slot & a little window opened up with a hot bowl of beans.

Old 03-14-2022, 01:48 PM

2,842 posts, read 3,219,810 times
I was remembering defrosting the small freezer in the refrigerator... Not a pleasant memory, especially if I waited too long. So nice to have autodefrost now.

Old 03-14-2022, 02:06 PM

8,828 posts, read 5,146,492 times
The smell of burning leaves in the fall.
Walking a mile to school in the snow....no snow days back then.
Chapped lips from popsicles
Going in the basement of Woolworths to look at the toys
Toasting marshmellows in our backyard fireplace
Playing Jax and hop scotch, jumping rope
Eating tomatos and carrots from the garden, after washing them with the hose
Sitting in the apple tree, eating an apple, with my cousin

Old 03-14-2022, 03:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 686,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I recently bought a 1974 Nova, and yesterday was tinkering with it and removed the non-working AM radio. Later as I ordered a new modern AM/FM with auxiliary inputs I realized that with only AM there is very little to listen to. Even our local sports radio station has gone to FM. I also did some testing to see what was working or needed fixing. Remember the floor switch for high beams? (mine works) I lubricated the hinges on the back license plate which reveals the gas cap. The horn works nicely too, and brings back memories. It's a real horn, not that feeble little toot that they have now. The original bumper jack is still in the trunk, apparently never used since the 48 year old factory zip-tie is still holding the lug wrench onto it.
What a fun project.

I fantasize sometimes about getting an old VW Bug or Beetle. It would have to be in "new" condition, cuz I don't know anything about cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement