Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 09:42 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,961,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yup it was still going on in the 60s. I did it.

And my father worked worked for one company that was considered a target.

Oh, goody!

My dad also worked for a company that could have been a "target". They built the missiles supposed to shoot down Russian missiles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 10:09 AM

14,303 posts, read 14,925,288 times
I remember that good looking young woman would date me.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:39 PM

12,203 posts, read 8,608,679 times
Until I was in about third grade we still had rotary dial phones with only two numbers and a letter for identification. You dialed the operator and she answered, you said the number and she hand-plugged your line into the line of the person you were calling.

It was fun to visit the phone office and see the switchboard with all the criss-crossing lines which she had to unplug when the conversation was over.

This, of course, made the phone operator one of the most informed people in town. Even if she didn't listen in she knew who called whom.

I loved that the operator was my aunt and thought she had a very important job. She was the person to call for all kinds of information. Whenever I came home from school and my mom wasn't there I'd just call the operator and she'd tell me that Mom was over at Mrs. X's house having coffee.

DH tells me that once they were singing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and couldn't remember one line to the song so they called the operator and she told them what it was.

The world was a much more friendly place then.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:39 PM

17,249 posts, read 57,330,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Does anyone remember phone numbers like this? Pershing which was PE4-0506. Capital was downtown, it was CA.

This is just the mnemonic that was fashionable at the time. Same old 7-digit #, but the first 2 digits were the first 2 letters of a "code word". So as a kid our number 843-4353 was called out on the phone THornhill 3 43-53. Back in the day you ended up talking to actual live phone operators, perhaps this was to avoid having to say a long string of numbers (for whatever reason).

Old 01-15-2019, 03:43 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,605,634 times
This thread should be sent to the Smithsonian. I remember a lot of what people have shared here. Probably most fondly I recall playing in the fields, woods, and sand hills near my house growing up. Used to play all day long. I remember the fresh air, cool shade, hot sand, drinking from the water hose, and my dad spraying down the brick of our house when it got really hot in the summers. I remember the scent of that.

There is a novel by Steven King titled 11/22/63. In it a character travels back in time to the 50’s and 60’s. It’s typical, wonky King, and at times riveting. But it’s worth the read if only for the way he describes the world back then. Sort of like the posts in this great thread.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:15 PM

6,220 posts, read 5,985,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
This thread should be sent to the Smithsonian. I remember a lot of what people have shared here. Probably most fondly I recall playing in the fields, woods, and sand hills near my house growing up. Used to play all day long. I remember the fresh air, cool shade, hot sand, drinking from the water hose, and my dad spraying down the brick of our house when it got really hot in the summers. I remember the scent of that.

There is a novel by Steven King titled 11/22/63. In it a character travels back in time to the 50’s and 60’s. It’s typical, wonky King, and at times riveting. But it’s worth the read if only for the way he describes the world back then. Sort of like the posts in this great thread.
Haven't read 11.22.63 but I watched the TV series. It's on Hulu, and it was nicely done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11.22.63

This thread reminds me of Ray Bradbury's novel "Dandelion Wine" - those who like such things should read it:

“And there, row upon row, with the soft gleam of flowers opened at morning, with the light of this June sun glowing through a faint skin of dust, would stand the dandelion wine. Peer through it at the wintry day - the snow melted to grass, the trees were reinhabitated with bird, leaf, and blossoms like a continent of butterflies breathing on the wind. And peering through, color sky from iron to blue.

Hold summer in your hand, pour summer in a glass, a tiny glass of course, the smallest tingling sip for children; change the season in your veins by raising glass to lip and tilting summer in”

Old 01-15-2019, 06:24 PM

13,015 posts, read 19,006,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I remember that good looking young woman would date me.
And just think of the women you have available now. Lots of women from 25 to 75. If she's really sexy, you could go 76.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:58 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,250,352 times
My mom had a crock sitting on the stove, full of bacon grease. When cooking oil was needed, it came from there, and after frying, the surplus went back in there. It got replenished Sunday when bacon was cooked for breakfast. It was there when I was born, and still there when I left for college, never cleaned or emptied.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:08 AM

9,444 posts, read 6,632,942 times
The milkman bringing milk in glass bottles.

Helms bakery truck bringing bread, donuts etc.

The vegetable truck bringing really delicious fresh fruit directly from the farm.

Believe it or not, this was in LA in the early 50's.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:34 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,299,576 times
A couple more memories of people who came to your house:

For awhile we had "the egg man" who delivered eggs form his farm.

And I'd almost forgotten the insurance man with his debit book. Life insurance sold to people of modest means could be paid weekly and he came around to collect it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement