Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 07:18 PM

7,036 posts, read 4,917,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
The thermos in the lunchbox breaking when I dropped it, because it had a glass inner liner.
I went through so many of those when I was a kid. Thanks for the memory.

Remember the glasses kids wore then? They broke if you looked at them wrong. If I had a dime for every time my mom had to take us kids to get our glasses fixed, I'd be richer than Oprah now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 08:18 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,278,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Real Blackboard with Chalk in schools
<snip>
Tailors who took measurements
And remember how the teacher would pick a couple of kids to clean the erasers by going outside and beating them against the building? I'm sure there's a Class Action suit in there somewhere for people who inhaled chalk dust.

Tailors: they still exist! In the last few years of my career I had a couple of suits and some shirts and separates made by a tailor. An extravagance (especially since I retired 4 years earlier than planned) but I love them and still wear a lot of them. They even measured the angle of each shoulder separately. Bonus: while the tailor himself did not make them personally the work was done in Chicago- yes, made in America.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:05 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,365,135 times
When I was in business school (late 70's), we had to learn to type on both an electric typewriter AND a manual. We had to pass final exams on both with at least 95 percent accuracy. I never saw a manual typewriter in any office I ever worked...when I started my internship in 1980, computers were coming into use (I'd never seen one before). We had to pass a class on ten-key calculator. We were given speed tests and the psycho instructor used to walk around the room whacking a yard stick on the desks (I was the nervous type, so this always made me mess up).

Business schools such as I attended seem to have disappeared. We took a two year course and graduated with a diploma in Medical Secretarial, Legal Secretarial, etc. Now everyone takes a four-year- college course. Our school even offered Civil Service courses...they actually assisted in placing you in a position in Washington, D.C...even found you respectable living arrangements. The family-run school had existed for over 100 years (my grandfather found HIS secretary there). You made it through that instruction and graduated from that school, you could write your ticket and were assured a job. The grading curve started at 80 (a D Minus). An A was 94 upward. It was a tough school. It closed in the late 1980's.

When I graduated, my first resume was done on a mimeograph machine.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:40 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,700,576 times
Typing Speed on Manual Typewriter, Shorthand (to take Notes when Boss speak), Photocopy skills on Copy Machines, Carbon Paper. Gosh !! Office environment used to be so different.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:43 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,071,414 times
My first washing machine was a Maytag wringer washer. Then out to hang clothes to dry, and they smelled wonderful.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,767 posts, read 58,200,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
My first washing machine was a Maytag wringer washer. Then out to hang clothes to dry, and they smelled wonderful.
and stiff as a board, depending on water quality and a HOT, dry day with no wind... Petrified... and VERY dry! Crunchy dry. Had to fold them to get them to fit in the laundry basket! (Wood slat Apple basket)..

Come to think of it... has been a LONG time since I ran a cream separator. Probably one of those jobs without high demand in 2020.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 17,360,287 times
I remember dial phones. In fact, I remember the "Number Please" operators.
That's not all that long ago, but watch these two 17-year-olds as they struggle to figure out how to use a dial phone. They simply cannot find a way to dial it that makes any sense to them!
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/watch-2...a-rotary-phone

Old 01-11-2019, 10:36 AM

705 posts, read 563,298 times
Does anyone remember phone numbers like this? Pershing which was PE4-0506. Capital was downtown, it was CA.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:54 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,524,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Does anyone remember phone numbers like this? Pershing which was PE4-0506. Capital was downtown, it was CA.
My phone number back in the day was:

AV8-9382

Old 01-11-2019, 12:29 PM

25,619 posts, read 17,360,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Sure. My original number - back in the "Number Please" days - was 707. Then we switched to 1029.
But when we went to dial phones it was TUxedo 7-something

How about postal codes? .... you know, New York 7, NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement