Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2019, 06:30 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times

Advertisements

Took my 81 year old sister out today shopping. We went to GASP Walmart along with every single other store in 60 mile radius. I'm going to drink heavily now.

And yes, I actually witnessed a fistfight in a major retail chain between two women. It was entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 06:43 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Just got in from having dinner after seeing a Christmas musical (Winter Wonderettes) up the hill in Crossville. Kind of a cold and rainy day, but the play was a lot of fun and hard to beat baby back ribs and baked potato for dinner.

There is a good amount of poverty in the area, and during school breaks some kids live in homes where not getting the school lunches can be a bit of a problem. So there is a group that works at delivering food to the homes of disadvantaged kids during the breaks. Thursday was the day for them to do this so I volunteered to help with the drudge work of moving the boxes from the inside of a church to the vehicles of the people who would be doing the delivering. There around 650 kids in the program so it was almost 3 hours of work to get it done. Nice workout for me.

Yesterday, for the first time, we went over to the university for some basketball games. The women played Lipscomb University and won; the men played Western Carolina University and lost. They have a really nice facility and the seats are extremely comfortable with a great view. A friend of ours has a sister who is an assistant coach and can get us tickets whenever we want. So now we have another activity as the games are fun. Reminds us of when we lived in Vero Beach FL and used to go to minor league baseball games or when we lived in Orlando and had season tickets for the Orlando minor league hockey team.

No white Christmas for us this year. Forecast is for 67 and sunny. Almost like being back in Florida. It will be a quiet day with just the two of us. Going to stuff and roast a turkey so we will be eating turkey for a while.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:46 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Took my 81 year old sister out today shopping. We went to GASP Walmart along with every single other store in 60 mile radius. I'm going to drink heavily now.

And yes, I actually witnessed a fistfight in a major retail chain between two women. It was entertaining.
I'm not sure if I could drink enough to get over that day!

Old 12-22-2019, 06:48 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The grandkids and I baked our annual cheesy dog biscuits today that we give to neighbors with pets. We cut out tiny ones too for the cats. There would have been a few more, but the grandkids like to eat a few biscuits too.

Our neighbors came over this afternoon to visit and sample a few cookies. We made hot spiced cider and spiked it with rum they brought back from a trip in the spring for us. They tried my limoncello too and pronounced it excellent. We were all feeling pretty mellow.

I have a sore throat that kicked in this evening and the youngest grandkid has been feeling poorly for a few days too. Poor kid, I’ve been pushing a warm lemon juice, water, honey and ginger drink on him. I’m drinking it now too. I also have an elderberry syrup I’m taking. I’m hoping a good night’s sleep, rest and the placebo effect of the herbals get me through Christmas.

I’ve been sitting outside on the far side of the pool for this view of our tree, it’s relaxing and peaceful.
That is one pretty view!

Old 12-23-2019, 07:45 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'm not sure if I could drink enough to get over that day!
Well she was happy, that's all that matters.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Jean: Are your walls really pink? I love that look. The Christmas tree with lights and the peaceful setting. It's just wonderful. Merry Christmas, Barb

Old 12-23-2019, 04:09 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
jean_ji: Beautiful, just beautiful. Wish I could see it in the real.
I hope you and your grandson get over the sore throat very soon.

If you ever have a room to rent out to an old lady, let me know!!

Old 12-23-2019, 08:55 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Jean: Are your walls really pink? I love that look. The Christmas tree with lights and the peaceful setting. It's just wonderful. Merry Christmas, Barb
The lights in the lanai give it that color at night, it’s the usual tan stucco color that’s common here.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:11 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
jean_ji: Beautiful, just beautiful. Wish I could see it in the real.
I hope you and your grandson get over the sore throat very soon.

If you ever have a room to rent out to an old lady, let me know!!
Thank you! I now also have laryngitis, which is great with company here. Well, actually, it probably is great for our company. I roasted beets for a salad, made deviled eggs and the batter for Yorkshire pudding this evening.. Two pies, apple and cherry, will get made in the morning and then the rest is easy. After dinner, the hardest decision will be eggnog, spiced cider with rum, or limoncello... or all three. I will likely need to medicate myself by then.

As for the room, you would have to share it with a Springer spaniel who thinks everyone who comes to the house is there to play with her. What other possible reason would they have to visit?

Old 12-23-2019, 09:57 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Your patience is noted but I'm way impressed by her stamina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement