Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 03:41 PM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
High rate of symptomless COVID-19 infection among grocery store workers
Those in customer-facing roles five times as likely to test positive as their colleagues

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1029191116.htm
Key word there is "likely". Take it with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 03:53 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I can appreciate that and that matters. We could have made a national decision to send everybody home to stay there until herd immunity assuming it's not elusive. Then prioritize those needing to work outside the home, expanding from there. But it wouldn't have worked. Given our current mindsets, too many would have continued to expose themselves socially. Leading to an outright rebellion by those following the so-called rules. And killed the economy.

My daughter is in a very high risk environment making her 1A. All her co-workers became positive from outside socializing. With one exception.

The best way to protect younger and healthier workers - given our current tools - is from adequate n95 availability (sadly not done although initiatives now starting). Absolute mask mandates and enforcement (spotty). Vaccinate other workers, based on their vulnerability to disease from age or co-morbidities perhaps ranked by exposure risk. (The phase 2 groups will be refined.)

Generally speaking, no one is more vocationally stressed these days than the horribly overwhelmed hospital workers. With a now unknown threat from the variants. We need to prepare to get through that possible surge by reducing the potential patients.
You're right. Plus, it would be chaos trying to figure who is actually working, with things constantly closing and opening back up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-27-2021, 04:52 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
You're right. Plus, it would be chaos trying to figure who is actually working, with things constantly closing and opening back up.
This is so complicated. I have to admit that I was shocked to hear the governor say that African-Americans were 4 times more likely to be hospitalized and twice as likely to die. Find and target those potential older patients, absolutely! Particularly if they're under-represented in the group that tracks down appointments.

Generally speaking I don't have strong opinions when it comes to various treatment regimens or to what's closed or open. Just don't know the data well enough. That varies by area.

What caught my attention here is because I really looked - town hall meetings, noticed how county documents changed. How the county so-call managed (fibbed, really) how it presented the situation to the public. Then was I or was I not really supposed to have this appointment? Turns out I was. Eligibility had opened and the governor was sticking to it. (The hospital pre-booked appointments for when 1C opened.)

When the county didn't later open, confused, I actually called the hospital to ask. Thinking perhaps the hospital messed up the language on their website. The poor receptionist thought I was trying to GET an appointment not maybe give one back! No way was I jumping any lines. Or possibly endanger vaccine by simply showing up. Take my confusion and multiply it by 150,000 seniors.

Too, it was incredibly neat to see the look of relief on the faces of particularly the very elderly as they were in the vaccination line. A fair number in my age group. Numerous HCWs returning for second shots. There was a young "education worker" who came in who contended she was eligible. Technically she was within the overall category and (for some reason) the hospital did not list only the upper age-tier on its website. The booker hesitated, but she got her shot.

Teachers are all online here; the county doesn't intend to reopen any time soon.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:35 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I saw this on the news last night. An effort is being made to vaccinate a vulnerable population in some of the poorest neighborhoods in NYC and the USA--the South Bronx. It is the right thing to do.

https://www.bxtimes.com/mobile-covid...nycha-centers/

Old 01-28-2021, 10:48 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,024,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I saw this on the news last night. An effort is being made to vaccinate a vulnerable population in some of the poorest neighborhoods in NYC and the USA--the South Bronx. It is the right thing to do.

https://www.bxtimes.com/mobile-covid...nycha-centers/
They're dong that here. There are pilot sites giving vacs to 65+ across the state and the 2 locations in the Mpls are in the poorer areas. They are "randomly" selecting people to vaccinate - I got a message I didn't make this round - oh what a surprise.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:23 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
They're doing that here. There are pilot sites giving vacs to 65+ across the state and the 2 locations in the Mpls are in the poorer areas. They are "randomly" selecting people to vaccinate - I got a message I didn't make this round - oh what a surprise.
Good to know! (Not that you didn't make the round, lol, but that your state is also focusing on vulnerable populations. It's a nice counterbalance to the stories of wealthy people who have tried to jump vaccine lines in an unethical manner.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:29 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good to know! (Not that you didn't make the round, lol, but that your state is also focusing on vulnerable populations. It's a nice counterbalance to the stories of wealthy people who have tried to jump vaccine lines in an unethical manner.
I don't see what one (unethical people) has to do with the other (vulnerable people).

If the state set up a site solely for the highest bidders, then your analogy would make more sense to me.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:42 AM

First case of South African variant..... South Carolina.

I think it is because TMS said she wouldn't get a booster.... and BAM. There you go.

(you may be in N Carolina, I can't remember)

Old 01-28-2021, 12:35 PM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
First case of South African variant..... South Carolina.

I think it is because TMS said she wouldn't get a booster.... and BAM. There you go.

(you may be in N Carolina, I can't remember)
Dang..I jinxed the entire US didn't I ???

Yes, I'm in SC. I'm in the last group..general public so won't see any vaccine til fall 2021.
I'll just mask up and hold my breath until then.

Actually 2 cases were discovered..one by the CDC and one by the local DHEC.
Article says the vaccine will protect against this one. Neither person traveled so there are others out there with this variant.

https://wpde.com/news/local/sc-healt...vid-19-variant

Old 01-28-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Dang..I jinxed the entire US didn't I ???

Yes, I'm in SC. I'm in the last group..general public so won't see any vaccine til fall 2021.
I'll just mask up and hold my breath until then.

Actually 2 cases were discovered..one by the CDC and one by the local DHEC.
Article says the vaccine will protect against this one. Neither person traveled so there are others out there with this variant.

https://wpde.com/news/local/sc-healt...vid-19-variant

Be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement